Hypertech Max Energy Sport CAI Update Now Available!

Thanks Brett. We're not perfect, nor do we know everything, but we work hard, and we love what we do! We have an awesome group of people who work behind the scenes that deserve all the credit.
Thank you and all persons involved with the Mazdaspeed 3 programmer, for bringing a great product to our community.(drinks)

Indeed, the best bang for my money, but hey anything to make my little wagon that much more impressive.

So do any of you think....and I am just spitballing here....that the +5 positive WOT numbers we are seeing at WOT could be because Hypertech found a way through their tuner software to make the ECU add fuel at WOT so that we never lean out? In other words not see below 1600 PSI and 12.xx AFR's? I know this is way out there but read on to see why I ask.

Ok.....the reason I ask is because someone said that they talked to a Hypertech technician (forgot who and can't verify that this is true!) but the tech said a downpipe would work well with the tune. Now, is he saying that their tune with a DP doesn't require a fuel pump and if so is it because of the reason I stated above?

I ask this because with a downpipe, SRI, RP I was getting under the 1600 psi at WOT and really leaning out and thought the general concensous was get a FP with a DP.

To be fair, I was tuning with ATR at that time and may have upped the load to much and my pump couldn't keep up...but if it is true that the tech said a DP is good to go and didn't mention anything about a FP....

SWEET!

Honestly, I wouldn't be looking for ways around adding a fuel pump upgrade in this platform. The stocker is marginal in alot of cases and, you're chancing an engine on a couple hundred buck part.

KGB, I'm running a Cobb SRI and TXS catless DP and my A/F's NEVER fall below 10.5-10.8. So I'm staying rich not as bad as stock but none the less safe.

Did you download the latest update for the Tuner and the Tuner App?

Yes I did two days ago.. That was on the "old" update. The only thing that changed for me was the Cobb, But I would think the A/F's would stay the same.. I have not had any WOT pulls yet with the "new" update.. I wait about 100 miles before a ROMP IT. should be there this weekend, Maybe.

So do any of you think....and I am just spitballing here....that the +5 positive WOT numbers we are seeing at WOT could be because Hypertech found a way through their tuner software to make the ECU add fuel at WOT so that we never lean out? In other words not see below 1600 PSI and 12.xx AFR's? I know this is way out there but read on to see why I ask.

Ok.....the reason I ask is because someone said that they talked to a Hypertech technician (forgot who and can't verify that this is true!) but the tech said a downpipe would work well with the tune. Now, is he saying that their tune with a DP doesn't require a fuel pump and if so is it because of the reason I stated above?

I ask this because with a downpipe, SRI, RP I was getting under the 1600 psi at WOT and really leaning out and thought the general concensous was get a FP with a DP.

To be fair, I was tuning with ATR at that time and may have upped the load to much and my pump couldn't keep up...but if it is true that the tech said a DP is good to go and didn't mention anything about a FP....

SWEET!

It all goes back to having the correct tune. First, we developed the tune not to just make absolute maximum power, but to find the maximum power output while maintaining engine, turbo, and fuel pump efficiency. We found that by tuning for absolute maximum power caused the efficiency to decrease quickly. At the absolute maximum power the engine can make, the car wasnt consistent because it wasnt efficient. This is all on a stock car, which has the least efficient parts (usually).

The second trick to our tuning, is that we developed a tune which increases power but still accurately commands and predicts the delivered torque output. When we looked at the calibration maps, we saw things were used to changing in other vehicles, and knew how to do it right. The result is a tune that acts just like the stock tune does in the way it reacts to power output, meaning that power output is steady and repeatable because the engine calibration system as a whole is not fighting itself because the sensor feedback it expects is exactly what it gets.

Now, when you combine these two pieces of the puzzle, the tune responds well to mods. Freeing up the exhaust flow increases efficiency, which increases airflow which is accurately measured by the MAF. The tune we sell is already set up to see these increases because we tested with these mods after the base tune was finished on a stock car, and tweaked it and made that our final tune.

A perfect example backing this up is why we have specific tunes for each specific air intake we support. Those recalibrations are not a simple add some fuel to keep it from leaning out. They are accurate recalibrations of the mass air flow system.

So, does Hypertech know the secrets to getting more power out of the stock fuel pump? No, its still just a pump that has a physical capacity for fuel flow. BUT, by making an accurate tune the engine controller doesnt push the fuel system beyond its efficiency range as soon as some other tunes would.

Chris

kgb, I think what your seeing with the +5 fuel trims at WOT are a carry over from what the ECU commands under heavy load conditions (closed loop). Even though the ECU is in open loop at WOT, it is still leaving the fuel trim active. It's something you would see with the stock tuning. This is part of the protection system built into the ECU.

Chris

Chris....thank you for answering! I do love this tune and your work going into making sure that this tune is done correctly!!!!! Thanks a million..really..I can't say how appreciative myself and others are in hypertech making this tune in the manner in which it did; and that also allows for "Freeing up the exhaust flow..."

(group)

Did some back to back 3rd gear pulls this AM and saw 10.0-10.2 for my A/F's a little richer than the CP-E tune but that small is OK with me.. Still very SAFE.. Thanx Chris

Mazdaspeed3/6 cold air intake update released!
Hypertech has now added support to the Max Energy Sport Power Programmer Part #62003 for the 2007-2009 Mazdaspeed3 and 2006-2007 Mazdaspeed6 for aftermarket cold air intakes. Current owners of the Sport programmer can get the FREE update via the Hypertech Tuner Update Software.

The following cold air intakes are supported:
AEM
CorkSport Short Ram
CP-e Xcel Nano
CP-e Xcel
Injen
K&N Typhoon
MAZDASPEED
Takeda Attack

The Hypertech CAI tuning corrects the mass airflow readings to ensure optimal tuning when running these intakes. We also tested the tune with aftermarket cat-back exhaust systems and made a few minor tweaks to the tuning to ensure full benefit of these bolt-ons.

With the air intake, exhaust, and Hypertech tuning, peak HP jumped 46 HP/44 Ft-Lbs from peak to peak over stock. The high RPM horsepower really holds strong, over 85 HP above stock near redline.

See attached dyno chart.

View attachment 164176

*Note: Your tuner must be programmed back to stock in order to update it.

Hey Chris,

I happened by one of these for $170 and pulled the trigger. That's a killer deal -HP/$-wise. I installed and immediately noticed the fantastic throttle response. I am not overwhelmingly happy though. I am not getting the boost restrictions in 1st and 2nd anymore and compared to the stock tune my car feels quicker. I am loving that. I got my Boost giggles back a bit. However, I am not seeing any psi over stock at all....14.5-15.6 at most. The majority of the time it's more around the 14.5 - 14.6 range. Is there a best way to test your max psi? I thought the Hypertech was supposed to give a couple extra psi. *Shrug* Maybe you can help me understand?

Also, I have a Corksport Stage II ( Short Ram with turbo inlet pipe). The tuner only asks if I have a cold air intake. There is no option for Short Ram? I take it since the MAF cal is the same on both CAI and SRI, everything is good.

Back