HVAC Panel Removal

Glenn3s

:
2004 3s
Hi,
Well, this isn't audio, but I'm not sure where else to put it.

Some of you may know that the AC unit comes on automatically any time your heater controls are set to any of the floor and/or defrost settings. I'd like to change that so that it only comes on when the AC button is pushed. That requires removal of the heating/ventilating control panel.

Once the upper dash panel and audio control panel is removed, as well as the lower ashtray unit, does anyone have instructions on how to remove the heater panel, including disconnecting the control cables? Thanks!

If I can figure it all out, I'll post it for others who may want to do the same.

(On earlier Mazdas it was simply a disconnect of a terminal, but that doesn't seem to be the case with the 3)

Glenn

Hey man are you sure about this?
i know what you are saying cause i have experienced in the past in other cars but i had not really seen it happen in my 3. I always have the setting to defrost and floor and the AC light is never on. Maybe i just havent noticed. I would be interesting though/
Is there a specifc reason you want to 'fix' this?

From the operating manual, for the manual type:
In the [floor], [defrost], or [floor and defrost] position, the
air conditioner is automatically turned on (however, the indicator
light does not illuminate) and the [outside airflow] position is automatically selected to defrost the windshield. In the [defrost] or [floor and defrost] position, the [outside airflow] position cannot be changed to the [recirculating airflow] position.

With the automatic type, which I have, I know there are certain positions which require the AC selector to be on, though I don't remember which. Reading the above however, I would assume the same situation applies.

In any case, I don't know how you would be able to change the settings to get what you want out of it.

Manual

acivick said:
From the operating manual, for the manual type:
In the [floor], [defrost], or [floor and defrost] position, the
air conditioner is automatically turned on (however, the indicator
light does not illuminate) and the [outside airflow] position is automatically selected to defrost the windshield. In the [defrost] or [floor and defrost] position, the [outside airflow] position cannot be changed to the [recirculating airflow] position.

With the automatic type, which I have, I know there are certain positions which require the AC selector to be on, though I don't remember which. Reading the above however, I would assume the same situation applies.

In any case, I don't know how you would be able to change the settings to get what you want out of it.

OK, thanks. I can tell that it's on because when the engine is idling you can hear the compressor cycling on and off. My concern is that I DON'T want the AC on when it's 35 outside, unless there are problems with defrosting, then I would like to be able to decide that the compressor should run. At that point I'll switch it on with the AC switch.

I believe that inside the HVAC panel there must be a switch that engages the AC in the selection positions you note - as the manual says. If someone can help me with instructions to remove the panel, I'll see if there's a work-around for it.

gb

Back