How To Wash Your Car

Swirl marks can b removed a few different ways. The first and most tedious is by hand. You need a lot of time, a lot of elbow grease and a decent polish. I don't recommend this way at all. Second way is with machine polishing. There are two types of machines, rotary or circular polishers and Dual Action polishers (DA's). Rotary Polishers can be tricky to use correctly and can damage the paint in a hurry is used incorrectly. They just spin on a single axis. If used improperly you can induce more swirls and holograms into the paint. These are holograms:

Horrendous001.jpg

The preferred method is with a Dual Action polisher that both spins freely and orbits. It's almost impossible to burn the paint with a DA since too much pressure stops the pad from spinning and it just wiggles on the paint. One should always start with the least aggressive polish and pad combo and work their way up until a combination is found that will remove the defects and achieve the desired results. HD Speed is a great all in one polish that will remove most swirl marks and leave behind protection in one step. Meguiars M205 is also a very easy to use light finishing polish that will remove swirl marks. Deep scratches and other paint defect might need a stronger compound like M105 followed by M205 to clear up any haze left by M105. Any time you polish or compound you are remove a little of the clear coat so don't do it all to often. That's the reason that proper wash technique is important, so you don't induce swirls and have to keep polishing.

For interior, a good shop vac is a must. I like to meguiars APC (All Purpose Cleaner D101) dilute to 10:1. If the carpets are really dirty and vacuuming alone doesn't clean them up I will spray APC in the carpets, agitate with a carpet brush and use the shop vac sans filter to suck up the dirty cleaning solution. I use APC in seats, dash, steering wheel, pretty much anywhere. The trick is to do the least amount of work to get it clean. Don't use a high dilution like 4:1 when 10:1 will do the trick. Follow the APC cleaning with a decent protectant like 303 aerospace protectant. Be sure to have plenty of microfibers on hand. I've bought 3 different color microfibers for different uses on the car. One color only sees exterior paint, one for interiors and another cheaper quality for door jabs, wheels and engine cleaning.

As far as claying baring the car goes, there is no harm in claying the car too often other then wasting time. A good way to tell if the car needs to be clayed is to do the baggie swipe test. Put your hand in a sandwhich bag and run it along the paint, if it feels rough or gritty then it's time to clay bar. the Clay lifts those bonded contaminates off the surface. Another good thing to do is to decontaminate the car with something like IronX. Iron X will dissolve any iron that has bonded to the paint and remove it so your clay doesn't get as dirty and you'll have less chances of inducing scratches and swirls.

- is polishing something that can be learned on your own with the right tools? Im worried about messing something up, cant decide if I should get my cars detailed at a shop or try it myself. My friend does have a polishing tool so I will probably try with him.

- I tried pressure washing all the carpets in the car recently, and it did a very good job of getting all the dirt out! I highly recommend trying this because its easier, less work involved and the carpets looked brand new afterwards. So satisfying.

- for clay barring, do you need to wash the car first and then clay it, or the other way around? No problems clay barring a car thats already covered in wax, correct?

Thank you

Get an iron dissolving cleaner! The most popular one is probably CarPro IronX. It attacks the iron from the brake dust and turns it a funky purple color. It's expensive but the best one out there that I've found. I only use IronX on really dirty wheels. Much more economical and similar in chemical make up is DUB wheel cleaner. I order from amazon. It eats iron as wheel and does a pretty good job at getting baked on brake dust to come off

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Sonax Full Effect wheel cleaner is another one that works really well but is, again, more expensive then the DUB wheel cleaner:

A touch of oven degreaser worked very well for me, but I then found out that it can damage the finish of your wheels. Would it be ok to continue using this stuff if I rinse the wheels after or is dedicated rim cleaner safer?

Washed with Wash and Wax from ONR.
Used a micro fiber duster to pick up dust. Just roll over all paint.
Spray with a bottle.
Use a wash mitt and dip it and wash. My Wash mitt turned black . Yikes! Dry it with a towel.

Occasionally saw some dirt on drying towels - I dont have much time so this seems to be a compromise. + had my 3 year old deputize which is also tricky.
Hopefully the wax stays for few months since I wash it only once every 4 months.

Ride92 - what are your thoughts on hand pump pressure sprayer that you get from Lowe's etc. which is in the garden dept.? I can get a 1 gallon to spray down ONR as a pre soak and clean my wheels and wheel wells with it.
At 1/2 gal capacity I guess it will need to be filled up and sprayed soon so thats the downside. Upside is 15 bucks!! and i live in an apt.

Spray with a bottle.
Use a wash mitt and dip it and wash. My Wash mitt turned black . Yikes! Dry it with a towel.

Occasionally saw some dirt on drying towels - I dont have much time so this seems to be a compromise. + had my 3 year old deputize which is also tricky.
Hopefully the wax stays for few months since I wash it only once every 4 months.

Ride92 - what are your thoughts on hand pump pressure sprayer that you get from Lowe's etc. which is in the garden dept.? I can get a 1 gallon to spray down ONR as a pre soak and clean my wheels and wheel wells with it.
At 1/2 gal capacity I guess it will need to be filled up and sprayed soon so thats the downside. Upside is 15 bucks!! and i live in an apt.

I suggest pressure washing your paint thoroughly first before wiping anything with microfibres or you will scratch your paint.

Unless you put tons and tons of wax on your paint and it all sealed flawlessly, its not going to stay on your paint for 4 months straight.

Then again, you live in Texas where it doesnt rain much, but Id wax every 1-2 months

I suggest pressure washing your paint thoroughly first before wiping anything with microfibres or you will scratch your paint.

Unless you put tons and tons of wax on your paint and it all sealed flawlessly, its not going to stay on your paint for 4 months straight.

Then again, you live in Texas where it doesnt rain much, but Id wax every 1-2 months

I dont have access to running water - so the pressure wash for me was a hand cranked one. Not sure how good it is and if the pressure is going to be sufficient. Its a 2 gallon capacity tank that I wanted to use for pressure wash. Fill with ONR, hand crank to a pressure then spray on.
The ONR system will result is less scratches when done well. I go for a balance between speed and good results. The micro fiber wash mitt has lots of solution on it and wipes without scratching much.

A touch of oven degreaser worked very well for me, but I then found out that it can damage the finish of your wheels. Would it be ok to continue using this stuff if I rinse the wheels after or is dedicated rim cleaner safer?

I would be hesitant to use degreasers like Simple Green on the wheels. Simple Green doesn't play nice with aluminum. There is an aluminum safe simple green called simple green Pro HD that is safe for aluminum, I would use that if I had to but really you should be using a wheel cleaning product since it's much much safer.

As far as learning to polish goes, if you start off with a Dual Action polisher it's pretty safe and the likely hood of you messing something up is very minimal. Watch YouTube videos from reputable detailers. Larry Kosilla is great detailer and has very good videos on his youtube channel. He using mostly his own products but the methods he use can be applied to any product line. Remember to start with the least aggressive pad and polish combo working your way up until you find the combo that will give you the desired results you're looking for. If you're just looking to remove minor swirls and what not I would recommend starting with M205 polish on a 5" Lake Country white or orange pad. That combo finishes down quite nicely and leaves a very good finish. There's polishes that will do better at finishing like menzerna 3800 but it doesn't have the same cutting ability as M205. If you are looking for a one step polish and wax look at HD Speed, that stuff works really well for an all in one and you don't have to follow up the polishing with a wax

Spray with a bottle.

If you see dirt/dust on your mitt, youre scratching your paint.

I also live in a condo/apartment or whatever. I go to a self car wash and use the pressure washer there. Worth every penny. I rinse the car with wax, wipe the whole car with a soapy mitt, rinse with wax again and the car looks damn amazing. I only do this maybe once every 1-2 months and Ive built a nice thick layer of wax on my paint by now. It looks very slick and new!

Spray with a bottle.

Doing an ONR wash your wash medium will pick up all the dirt and turn black if the car is really dirty. Be sure to rinse the mitt you're using in the bucket after every couple of swipes over the paint. You don't want to be rubbing a dirty mitt over your paint. Most of the dirt and grit will release into the bucket and the rest that "stains" should be encapsulated in the ONR solution. I recommend the 2 bucket method if you are using a single wash mitt or sponge, both with grit guards that trap the dirt at the bottom of the bucket. One bucket with "clean" wash solution and one with just water used for rinsing the wash mitt. Scrub the wash mitt against the grit guard to help remove the dirt.

As far as the sprayer goes I really like to use them to "presoak" the panels I'm about to wash. I use a one gallon one like this one:

You can also use one like this but it needs to be refilled more often:

They both work great and are faster and easier then using a hand trigger spray bottle. I can usually get about 3-4 washes out of the 1 gallon unit before I need to refill. I just leave the solution in the sprayer till the next time I wash.

If you see dirt/dust on your mitt, you’re scratching your paint.

I also live in a condo/apartment or whatever. I go to a self car wash and use the pressure washer there. Worth every penny. I rinse the car with wax, wipe the whole car with a soapy mitt, rinse with wax again and the car looks damn amazing. I only do this maybe once every 1-2 months and I’ve built a nice thick layer of wax on my paint by now. It looks very slick and new!

So you use the Wax at the car wash - whatever is in the spray there? What brand do they use.

- is polishing something that can be learned on your own with the right tools? Im worried about messing something up, cant decide if I should get my cars detailed at a shop or try it myself. My friend does have a polishing tool so I will probably try with him.

- I tried pressure washing all the carpets in the car recently, and it did a very good job of getting all the dirt out! I highly recommend trying this because its easier, less work involved and the carpets looked brand new afterwards. So satisfying.

- for clay barring, do you need to wash the car first and then clay it, or the other way around? No problems clay barring a car thats already covered in wax, correct?

Thank you

You used a pressure washer inside your car? I would not recommend this at all. The removable floor mats, sure but not the actual carpet in the car. Your much better off spraying an APC and using a carpet brush and then a shop vac to suck up the dirty solution. It will be much drier and won't leave as much water in the car. If you pressure wash the inside you are likely going to be leaving little areas of water in puddles that even the most powerfull extractor won't be able to suck out.

And yes, you should wash the car before your clay bar. Clay bar removes what washing alone can not, the bonded contaminates that get imbedded in the paint. Clay bar will be fine even if the car is waxed. I would wax after claying as you are removing debris and leaving those "pores" open after claying.

Doing an ONR wash your wash medium will pick up all the dirt and turn black if the car is really dirty. Be sure to rinse the mitt you're using in the bucket after every couple of swipes over the paint. You don't want to be rubbing a dirty mitt over your paint. Most of the dirt and grit will release into the bucket and the rest that "stains" should be encapsulated in the ONR solution. I recommend the 2 bucket method if you are using a single wash mitt or sponge, both with grit guards that trap the dirt at the bottom of the bucket. One bucket with "clean" wash solution and one with just water used for rinsing the wash mitt. Scrub the wash mitt against the grit guard to help remove the dirt.

As far as the sprayer goes I really like to use them to "presoak" the panels I'm about to wash. I use a one gallon one like this one:

You can also use one like this but it needs to be refilled more often:

They both work great and are faster and easier then using a hand trigger spray bottle. I can usually get about 3-4 washes out of the 1 gallon unit before I need to refill. I just leave the solution in the sprayer till the next time I wash.

I use 1 bucket method. I need to dip the mitt more often. Also I did notice few spots this morning - seems spraying with a small bottle can have that impact. The car is indeed very dirty but with the time I have - I will have to use this method or probably use two mitts. Ok I will try this. One advantage of having Lowe's around the corner.
Given up on wifey's daily driver. if you run a micro fiber along the front bumper the resistance is just too much. Too many scratches. It will mostly go to coin operated and might get some gentle wash if needed by me.
Right now - its so bad that bird poop hardens within a day and looks like its been for months.

I would be hesitant to use degreasers like Simple Green on the wheels. Simple Green doesn't play nice with aluminum. There is an aluminum safe simple green called simple green Pro HD that is safe for aluminum, I would use that if I had to but really you should be using a wheel cleaning product since it's much much safer.

As far as learning to polish goes, if you start off with a Dual Action polisher it's pretty safe and the likely hood of you messing something up is very minimal. Watch YouTube videos from reputable detailers. Larry Kosilla is great detailer and has very good videos on his youtube channel. He using mostly his own products but the methods he use can be applied to any product line. Remember to start with the least aggressive pad and polish combo working your way up until you find the combo that will give you the desired results you're looking for. If you're just looking to remove minor swirls and what not I would recommend starting with M205 polish on a 5" Lake Country white or orange pad. That combo finishes down quite nicely and leaves a very good finish. There's polishes that will do better at finishing like menzerna 3800 but it doesn't have the same cutting ability as M205. If you are looking for a one step polish and wax look at HD Speed, that stuff works really well for an all in one and you don't have to follow up the polishing with a wax

Simple green is a safe as they come. Much less harsh than everything listed here so far. Been using it on everything from my daily drivers to race cars (wheels are polished aluminum)and everything in between for years and years.

Hell,use Comet Toilet Bowl Cleaner...

Last edited:

Thank you! I will try to get into the world of polishing soon. I will ask my friend what sort of kit he has.

Doing an ONR wash your wash medium will pick up all the dirt and turn black if the car is really dirty. Be sure to rinse the mitt you're using in the bucket after every couple of swipes over the paint. You don't want to be rubbing a dirty mitt over your paint. Most of the dirt and grit will release into the bucket and the rest that "stains" should be encapsulated in the ONR solution. I recommend the 2 bucket method if you are using a single wash mitt or sponge, both with grit guards that trap the dirt at the bottom of the bucket. One bucket with "clean" wash solution and one with just water used for rinsing the wash mitt. Scrub the wash mitt against the grit guard to help remove the dirt

Agreed, the less dirty your mitt gets while cleaning the better. I would recommend grabbing a couple cloths, one for each panel and then using the two bucket method on top of that. Also, NEVER use a swirl method while wiping. Do a left and right motion to prevent swirl marks.

So you use the Wax at the car wash - whatever is in the spray there? What brand do they use.

No idea, but it works pretty damn well after you wipe down the whole car with a mitt, the wax bonds to the paint very well. It stays on the car for a long time after a couple washes.

You used a pressure washer inside your car? I would not recommend this at all. The removable floor mats, sure but not the actual carpet in the car. Your much better off spraying an APC and using a carpet brush and then a shop vac to suck up the dirty solution. It will be much drier and won't leave as much water in the car. If you pressure wash the inside you are likely going to be leaving little areas of water in puddles that even the most powerfull extractor won't be able to suck out.

And yes, you should wash the car before your clay bar. Clay bar removes what washing alone can not, the bonded contaminates that get imbedded in the paint. Clay bar will be fine even if the car is waxed. I would wax after claying as you are removing debris and leaving those "pores" open after claying.

Thank you again. Im going to get around clay barring both my cars this week.

No, I did not pressure wash the inside of my car haha. I think that would be a terrible idea and would introduce lots of bacteria. At the self car wash near my house, there are these little hinges to hang up your carpet. I simply washed them outside of the car.

If I want to clean the rest of the interior, what would be the best way to do it? Take a brush with some soapy carpet cleaner, agitate the dirt but how would I remove the soap afterwards?

I use 1 bucket method. I need to dip the mitt more often. Also I did notice few spots this morning - seems spraying with a small bottle can have that impact. The car is indeed very dirty but with the time I have - I will have to use this method or probably use two mitts. Ok I will try this. One advantage of having Lowe's around the corner.
Given up on wifey's daily driver. if you run a micro fiber along the front bumper the resistance is just too much. Too many scratches. It will mostly go to coin operated and might get some gentle wash if needed by me.
Right now - its so bad that bird poop hardens within a day and looks like its been for months.

I would grab a cloth for every single panel.

Wiping the cloth on dirty paint is a very, very bad habit you are scratching up your clear-coat. Your best bet is to go to a self car wash, give the paint a good rinse, remove as much dirt as you can before starting to wipe. This cleans the paint and ensures that the wax will have a good seal. Once the wax is on your paint, dirt will come off easily with just a pressure washer meaning you reduce the damage done to your clear coat with future washes.

If I want to clean the rest of the interior, what would be the best way to do it? Take a brush with some soapy carpet cleaner, agitate the dirt but how would I remove the soap afterwards?

Probably a shop vac of some sort.

Simple green is a safe as they come. Much less harsh than everything listed here so far. Been using it on everything from my daily drivers to race cars (wheels are polished aluminum)and everything in between for years and years.

Hell,use Comet Toilet Bowl Cleaner...

I'm going to have disagree with you about simple green. If it's washed away quickly it's not that bad but left to linger and it will speed the corrosion process of the aluminum which can lead to permeant staining and discoloration. In Fact the US government has put out warnings against using standard simple green for use as a cleaner with it's aircraft. There is a reason that simple green came out with Pro HD (aluminum safe) and SimpleGreen Exterme Aircraft Precision Cleaner.

Here is the excerpt from the DOD:
It has been brought to the attention of the U.S. Army

> Aviation Missile Command (AMCOM) Depot Maintenance

> Engineering Team that numerous units are using the

> commercial product SIMPLE GREEN as an aircraft wash.

> STOP! This product has been through Department of Defense

> (DOD) testing and was determined to be highly corrosive

> on aircraft aluminum and also a catalyst for Hydrogen

> Embrittlement in high strength aircraft alloys.

>

> While a highly effective cleaning agent for floors and

> non-aluminum / non-high strength alloy vehicles this

> product is not approved for aviation usage. If your unit

> has been using SIMPLE GREEN on a regular basis, it is

> recommended that a thorough fresh water wash with the

> approved cleaners per the appropriate airframe maintenance

> manuals be accomplished as soon as practicable. This

> should be followed up with a corrosion inspection /

> treatment and application of approved Corrosion

> Prevention Compounds (CPCs).

>

> Mr. Richard Cardinale, corrosion@amcom-cc.army.mil

Say what you want about the US government but their aircraft represent a substantial investment, one that I trust they maintain to the highest standards.

Ride92,I know all about what you just posted... Which two products do you think I use? Lol Btw,my family owns several small aircraft and hot air balloons. Which product do you think we use on the aircraft?

Simple Green also makes an "All wheel cleaner".

Superb products...

Last edited:
Ride92,I know all about what you just posted... Which two products do you think I use? Lol Btw,my family owns several small aircraft and hot air balloons. Which product do you think we use on the aircraft?

Simple Green also makes an "All wheel cleaner".

Superb products...

Well if you where referring to the ProHD and Extreme AirCraft Cleaner then you should have said so. A lot of people don't know about the different products from Simple green and just assume when someone says "Use Simple green..." that they are talking about the standard Green simpleGreen product. Which is not recommended for use on aluminum.

No idea, but it works pretty damn well after you wipe down the whole car with a mitt, the wax bonds to the paint very well. It stays on the car for a long time after a couple washes.

So you dont know what you put on your car multiple times for each wash? Sounds neat.

So you dont know what you put on your car multiple times for each wash? Sounds neat.

Haha, Id honestly rather have a coat of some random no name wax protecting my paint then a layer of dust and dirt. The car looks really good and I barely ever have to wash it because everything comes right off with a quick wash.

Back