How-To: VTCS Removal and Porting

Oh, yeah... Sorry guys, the guy who owned the domain decided to give up on it. =) So, yeah. The PDF is great, though! I'll upload it to my new site, if you don't mind.

So if I'm an idiot just let me know but what is the VTCS, and would removing it without porting the intake do anything for me?

mani in hand and manifold is already apart and butterflies out and waiting to be ported! spacer will soon be purchased and installed for summer

question???? do i remove the butterflies where the lower and upper manifold connect and can i port that as well? any pics?

That would be your VICS system, so without an aftermarket ECU, if you plan on removing it, you'll have a pretty bad flat spot from excessive volume when it's supposed to be closed, and another where the velocity should kick up substantially, so I'd suggest leaving it in place. BUT. You can take the opportunity to smooth out all of the surfaces you can reach, just avoid where the butterfly is supposed to seal, since that would be distinctly problematic in forming said seal. Remember, on a stock manifold with stock-ish EMS, most port jobs should be kept light, since cavernous ports mean reduced velocity, unless you're pushing a whole pooload of air, say, with a hairdryer (EG, turbo/supercharger) or something to that effect.

Err... I guess I should learn to shorten my answers. Don't remove those butterflies, and if I wouldn't bother porting there, were I you. =)

Umm... is there anyway to get that link at the beginning working and does removing th VTCS trip any check engine lights or anything like that???
thanks,
tyler

As far as I can tell the non-california spec emissions 1.8 99-00 cars use the same manifold as the MP3 without VTCS.

Last edited:
If you read this thread, it has been stated multiple times that you DO NOT WANT to remove your VICS. ALL you would possibly need to do to those is LOCTITE them, so they never come out.

oh, and this is a bump

for those of you that want to save some time i have located the pdf of this how-to. its in reply # 129 on page 4 if you are viewing this forum with your settings set for 40 posts per page. here it is -> http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1805886&postcount=129

Thanks ALL for contributing to this somewhat confusing topic (vics/vtcs). I will attempt to do this this sunday as i have a screw in my cylinder so i have to take the intake off anyway to get it out.

If I were to just remove the butterflys, and not the runner, would I get a noticeable gain? seems like the runner itself wouldn't obstruct the airflow too much. - don't feel like going to the trouble (and money) of tapping it out.

If I were to just remove the butterflys, and not the runner, would I get a noticeable gain? seems like the runner itself wouldn't obstruct the airflow too much. - don't feel like going to the trouble (and money) of tapping it out.

you could just zip strip or put a one way check valve in the vac line to hold it open and yeld the same results.

You would lose torque on the low end and gain absolutely nothing. It has to do with harmonics.

Not worth the time. If you're going to take off the intake manifold, pull the whole thing out (I assume by "runner" you mean the rod that the butterflys attach to), plug the holes, and smooth out the ports.

StealthWyvern said:
you could just zip strip or put a one way check valve in the vac line to hold it open and yeld the same results.

That will throw a CEL on the computer.

buttthrax said:
You would lose torque on the low end and gain absolutely nothing. It has to do with harmonics.

You're referring to VICS, not VTCS.

Latest posts

Back