How To Use Seafoam To Clean Your Engine

I've always left the pcv in the grommet and just pulled off the hose which feeds directly in to the two hoses at the back of the head. I slowly pour the seafoam into the hose using the clear plastic tip from a tube of permatex sealant as a funnel so to speak. You don't have to use a funnel, but instead could rig up a smaller diameter hose that would fit in the pcv hose and just suck it out the bottle.

I use my left hand to pour it and my right hand to manipulate the throttlebody so the car does not cut off. You'll need to keep your thumb over the pcv hose once you disconnect it to keep the car running. Or you can place a bolt in the hose so you can start the car and pull it out when your ready. Just don't be in a rush to get the hose off as its real easy to snap the pcv elbow.

Use the seafoam when your car is up to normal operating temperature. Let it soak as suggested for 5 minutes and then start the car. Go for a drive if you want to and watch more smoke come out with each gear change. It will stop doing that after a mile or so.

I've never changed my oil after doing this as seafoam will not hurt or change the properties of the oil.

Thanks for the tips, I'm definitely going to try this... may clean the EGR also while I'm doing it. I'm thinking 50/50 PCV/Fuel Tank should be good

Hello everyone,

For those of you who have done this seafoam procedure, what is your take on having to change out the spark plugs afterwards? I've read many many posts and some say change the plugs afterwards and some say you don't need to? Just wondering what everyones opinion is on this? Thanks.

Protege__Owner said:
Hello everyone,

For those of you who have done this seafoam procedure, what is your take on having to change out the spark plugs afterwards? I've read many many posts and some say change the plugs afterwards and some say you don't need to? Just wondering what everyones opinion is on this? Thanks.

i've never changed them. i've only used it through the brake booster though. not sure about the other methods

Why would you change the plugs? Any thing that may get on the tips will quickly burn off once the combustion process takes place in an otherwise healthy engine.

Protege__Owner said:
Hello everyone,

No need to change the plugs. Thats replacing them becuase you ran a bottle of fuel injector cleaner though your tanks. Its not gogint o hurt anythign but WHY?

If anything it would be cleaning your spark plugs correct? It cleans everything else, why would it hurt your plugs? It cant hurt to change the plugs anyways, but not because you used seafoam.

I will now swear by this stuff. I had some strange idle issues when the car was warming up in the morning. Ran 1/3 a can through the break booster line, little in the gas tank and the car runs like it's new. This stuff does pool in the intake manifold so be careful opening up the throttle after it has sat for the 5-10min.

Funny story. I almost crushed the seafoam can with the vacuum line. Don't just jam the line in there, give it some room to breath. Otherwise you may be in for a big mess. It's amazing how these obvious things don't occur to you when you're actually doing it.

Last edited:
BaD_HeX said:
I will now swear by this stuff. I had some strange idle issues when the car was warming up in the morning. Ran 1/3 a can through the break booster line, little in the gas tank and the car runs like it's new. This stuff does pool in the intake manifold so be careful opening up the throttle after it has sat for the 5-10min.

Funny story. I almost crushed the seafoam can with the vacuum line. Don't just jam the line in there, give it some room to breath. Otherwise you may be in for a big mess. It's amazing how these obvious things don't occur to you when you're actually doing it.

Yeah, I had that happen as well, I revved the motor up and it got a good hold on the can and just about crushed it lol. Good thing it was already half way gone.

BaD_HeX said:

Bad Hex, could you clarify a little what you mean when you say that you have to be careful when opening up the throttle after the Sea Foam has been sitting in the throttle for 5-10 mins? I would suppose that you just let the foam sit for 5-10 mins and then fire up the engine? Do you mean after starting the engine, don't give too much gas? Thanks in advance.
Also, for those of you who have done the sea foam treatment, did you reset the ECU afterwards, or just left it as is?

Last edited:
Protege__Owner said:
Bad Hex, could you clarify a little what you mean when you say that you have to be careful when opening up the throttle after the Sea Foam has been sitting in the throttle for 5-10 mins? I would suppose that you just let the foam sit for 5-10 mins and then fire up the engine? Do you mean after starting the engine, don't give too much gas? Thanks in advance.
Also, for those of you who have done the sea foam treatment, did you reset the ECU afterwards, or just left it as is?

Just keep it in the low rpms for a few minutes before really opening it up. You will definately need to reset the ecu, as it will throw a cel as soon as you start sucking up the seafoam.

lisevolution said:
For those of you with the MSP, I noticed that we aren't supposed to do this through the Brakebooster line. How have you done this process, and any other tips suggestions? I would like to do this this tomorrow as part of a 35K oil change, spark plug/wires change and general post winter system clean out...

I don't think the issue was with sucking it thru the brake booster line, since either way it ends up in the cylinders, whether thru the pcv or brake booster. I think the issue was with hitting boost while sucking the seafoam in, since it will lean out your a/f ratio a bit. I think as long as you keep it under 2k rpms while sucking it in, you'll be fine.

Note, the instructions tell you to SLOWLY pour the product into the vacuum line. Its impossible to go into boost when you are doing this treatment. Never have generated a CEL or reset the PCM after doing this.

My request to move to the HOW-TO section went unanswered :(
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2671096&postcount=57

But I will quote me for the linky:

Crazee D said:
It's actually recommended to put a small amount into the crankcase AND a fair amount into the gas tank. I think it was the instructions on their website
http://www.seafoamsales.com/motorTuneUpTechGas.htm

I like the straw with cup method.
Insert straw into brake line and dip into cup of fluid while revving

DAWIV said:
Note, the instructions tell you to SLOWLY pour the product into the vacuum line. Its impossible to go into boost when you are doing this treatment. Never have generated a CEL or reset the PCM after doing this.

The pouring could get tricky if your by yourself and revving at the TB.
I too did not have a CEL, but the ECU reset is a good idea after settling in.

I guess so if you have an unsteady hand. I do it all the time w/o any one in the car. Stick a mini funnel in the hose, pour with your left hand and work the throttle plate with your right hand. The whole point in pouring it slowly is to allow the product to work effectively.

I did make a how to thread and there is a link to it in here and you wont get a CEL unless you pull the vacume line on the brake booster, but as soon as you do that you will have to reset everything.

When resetting the ECU, do you reset it after you taken the car for a spin to get the Sea Foam cleared out of the system or do you reset it when you're waiting out the 5-10 mins (assuming the Sea Foam has just been sucked into the system) before you crank up the engine?

Back