How to tell if I have an LSD?

Schwamm

:
2003 Mazdaspeed Protege, 2008 Mazda 3 Hatchback, 1984 RX7 GSL-SE
This is probably a dumb question for many of you with experience, but I have never opened up a transmission before.

Long story short, I recently bought an MSP with a blown engine and am replacing the block. The seller told me the transmission had been replaced a year or so ago, and didn't know if the LSD had been transferred from the old transmission or not. He lied to me about several things that I know of so it would not surprise me if the car no longer has the LSD in it and he just didn't want to tell me.

What's the easiest way for me to tell if this transmission has an LSD? The transmission is out of the car but still in one piece. I don't want to start taking things apart that I don't need to. Thanks

Jack up the front end. Use jackstands and chocks.

Now turn one of the front wheels. It doesn't matter which way, frontwards or backwards.
If the wheel on the opposite side of the car spins the same way as the wheel you're turning, you have a limited slip diff. If it turns the opposite way you're turning the wheel you're at, you have an open diff.

EDIT: lol, now I actually READ your post! Sorry, I'm not sure how to tell by looking at them.

Last edited:
The transmission is out of the car and sitting on my garage floor... otherwise I would have done that

Edit: actually based on what you said, could I stick the CV axle back in, twist it, and just look at what the other side does? Seems simple enough

Last edited:
The only G15MR tranny with a LSD is out of an MSP. If it's from any other car, it's open.

The only G15MR tranny with a LSD is out of an MSP. If it's from any other car, it's open.

Yep I know that, I just don't know what this transmission came from and I don't trust what the guy told me. You can't tell by looking at the outside (I don't think)

Well, I put a CV axle in one side and felt the other side with my finger, and it moves the opposite direction. I guess this definitely proves I have an open diff?

Any advice on where to get an LSD without spending too much? I know mfactory has one for $599, but I'd rather not spend that much if I don't have to. This car is going to stay stock.

OEM LSD is around $500 at the dealer, maybe slightly less. I'm sure there are some undamaged stock LSDs laying around. I have my oem diff but the ring gear has a chip in a tooth so it will need to be replaced.

I appreciate the help. This weekend I swapped the transmission for a used MSP transmission with the LSD and $300. I don't like the unexpected expense but at least I have a good diff now. Thanks!

I need to find one of those deals. I just bought #639 and kept finding signs of the engine and trans being out of the car and replaced so I gave a tire a spin and found that it has an open diff in it. It makes me wonder what other surprises might be lurking :(

Back