How To: Shutter valve replacement

sublyminull

:
2003 MSP
After getting a code that comes on and off for the past 8 months. I have found that intake runner valve 1 was getting stuck open. This is the shutter valve located on the passenger side of the intake closest to the cabin.

Now Mazda does not sell this part by itself they will only sell the entire intake manifold for 800 dollars.

So if you get this problem and luck out like I did and find someone that is getting rid of thier old intake here is the way to replace that shutter valve throwing the code.

Tools needed:
Light!
10mm deep socket
C-Clip pliers (or use some needle nose or flat head screwdriver)
Needle nose pliers

Step 1.
Remove the engine cover. (this may not be neccessary but I like to have a little more room for my fat hands to move around)

<reserved for pictures>

Step 2.
Using the C-Clip pliers remove the clip that retains the shaft onto the nub

Note: Do not lose this c-clip because finding more that are this small is a big pain.

<reserved for pictures>

Step 3.
Using the 10mm socket remove the bolt that secures the assembly to the side of the intake manifold.

Note: holding the shutter valve tightly against the socket when you have removed the bolt will help you not drop it.

<reserved for pictures>

Step 4.
Using the Needle Nose pliers remove the retaining ring for the vacuum tube that is on the end of the shutter valve. Slide the tube off the shutter valve.

<reserved for pictures>

Poof! now it's off. time to put it back on.

Note:
Look at the bracket that the bolt secures to to hold the shutter valve on. There is a small raised circle that will fit into a guide on the intake. Do not mistake it for the bolt hole. you will just make yourself mad when you realise you just tried to thread it. (Facepalm)

Step 1.
Put the vacuum tube onto the new shutter valve and use the needle nose pliers to secure the retaining ring back on it.

<reserved for pictures>

Step 2.
Align the bolt hole in the bracket with the bolt hole in the intake and using a 10mm socket bolt it back in.

<reserved for pictures>

Step 3.
Slide the shaft onto the nub and carefully replace the C-clip.

Note: you may need to use your needle nose pliers again to get the c-clip to securely fit back on.

<reserved for pictures>

Step 4.
Put your engine cover back on. and put away your tools.

if you have any questions let me know.

Can you please post some pictures of this Shutter valve and where it is exactly located? T
hat would really help thanks man! I know you said its on the right but please post some pics if you can

Is he talking about replacing the actuator for the VICS flaps? This thread isn't very clear at all.

Like i said i was asking for him to post Pictures of the Shutter Valve which is on the Intake Manifold.

Oh well he must of taken them down i guess. Strike 3 for me i guess. the Reason Why im asking is Because Mazda is going to Replace The Shutter Valve because of a Recall that was made in 2005. The Price for the Manifold at the Dealer is like $800.00 and now i dont have to worry about it because there replacing it for free!

That's a good deal, the VICS actuator is closer to the firewall and the VTCS actuator is closer to the cylinder head.

Thanks Horns Fan i appreciate it man Monday is the big day for me that's when i get this Shutter valve replaced!(breakn)

Back