HOW TO: Replace Valve Cover Gasket

Turns out it's impossible to remove the cover without removing the belts and crank pulley. I did manage to find out that the gasket was NOT holding the oil and all the leaking oil was just continuously pouring down the timing belt cover. I know this cuz I just let the car running and continuously measured my oil level...it went from Full to Low and a lot of oil spilled into my drain pan. I managed to exchange my gasket for a new one in AutoZone and will try installing it again tomorrow. Hopefully this time, since I will put silicone sealant from the beginning, everything will work fine...hopefully. Did you put sealant ONLY around the corners near the timing cover? Did you put a thin strip or a thick amount?

i did the 4 corners, AND then also added some around the whole thing. I think i Also placed some on the valve cover itself - in the grooves where the gasket goes in..just to make sure it didnt fall out or move (thus having the possibility to shift not match up- and possibly resulting in a leak)
\Which is what COULD have happened in ur case.. idk/

Its been working great so far :] about 3 months or so now.. (knock on wood lol)

GL

BUT careful not to use too much and have it squish and seep into ur internal of engine, then that crap will get dried, ripped and mixed/ spun around in ur engine..

I had some xcess, but made sure to even it out, so the only part pushing out was towards the outside:

167216_198316823517458_100000174266894_884393_7974300_n.jpg

and this is the reason i changed the gasket:
before:
179664_198315840184223_100000174266894_884385_7332293_n.jpg

now:
20110324120009.jpg

Last edited:
Well, I exchanged the gasket I had bought and got a new one. This time I put RTV Blue Silicone sealant where you mentioned and where the service manual mentions. I put it at 4.00pm yesterday and let it dry till today. I just now started the engine (1.40pm) and to my surprise: oil started leaking again! I have NO clue what is going on. Does the tightening torque have to do anything with it? I tightened the bolts maybe 1/4 turn more than the point they were hard. At this point I am frustrated and out of ideas. Only thing I can say is that it was NOT leaking this way before I changed the valve cover gasket. That is all I changed and touched in the car. Any help?

Hard to tell without knowing/seeing exactly where and what amount of oil is leaking out. I would post your problem in the "What have you done to your protege today?" thread, there are tons of people subscribed to that thread who know much more than I do about cars

Be careful that your gasket didn't get pinched while installing it. I made the same mistake on a 6VD1 in an Isusu Rodeo and wasn't aware that the gasket had come slightly loose while installing the valve cover. Once I installed it and started the engine oil started pouring out the back. Turned out the gasket fell slightly out and got twisted up where the gasket and valve cover went over the cam tower.

If you have an obvious oil leak now and you didn't before then bets are that the gasket is pinched somehow.

Super thanks for this tutorial. We need more people like you who have passion in teaching other car enthusiasts like us. I also have new gasket for my car. I wonder if it's exactly the same with yours but it looks the same. I'll try this tutorial and go back here to tell how long did I take to fix my car. Many thanks!

NP man, anything I can do to help.
does that mean you gonna do my laundry too? Lol. I'm about to install my VC. had to double check the RTV step with your how-to. (thumb)

18jfaq.jpg

Do you think the oil that is pointed out by the arrows from a valve cover gasket leak? If not, then what do you think it is from?

That seems pretty far from the VC, I cant remember if our side mounts are filled or not, if they are then your mount could have broken and easily made those spots

I work at a pepboys selling parts and the speed shop manager said that it is power steering fluid but i cant see wheere its comming from..

btw that picture is on the passager side near the power steering resivuar

I figured it out, it is my motar mount. how hard is it to change that.(the one in the picure above)

Back