How to remove OUTER door handles? Also clear coat degradation/respray questions

Big_B

:
2003 Protege5
Just wanted to start by saying I've used this forum over the years to save lots of money doing little repairs to this car that we've owned since new, and I'm very thankful for all the helpful advice here. Off the top of my head: Door lock actuators, speaker replacements, OBD codes (easiest o2 sensor replacement ever), and probably numerous others.

Due an accident the front and rear bumpers are going to be getting replaced and painted next week, and I've already talked to the shop about cutting me a deal on respraying the spoiler for cheap, as the clear coat is almost completely chipped off. Today I realized that the upper parts of the outside door handles on the passenger side are doing the same thing, and I'm going to see if they can throw those in also. He cut me a deal on the spoiler because I told him I could take it off and put it back - they just needed to prep and spray it.

So main question - Do the outer door handles come off? It is mainly the "hoods" on the top of the handle - not the part that moves if that makes sense. Or should I just have them tape around and paint them?

Also why are just these parts chipping/degrading? I'm guessing they were sprayed independently before assembly? Are there any other parts (not major body panels) we're going to see this on soon?

This is on a 2003 Laser Blue Mica P5.

Thanks!

take the inside door panels off, you will see some 10mm bolts holding the outside door handles on. Undo the bolts and take the handles off IIRC the lower part needs to be unhooked and removed at the same time, all from the inside of the door.

Yes! Search helped me this time! Lol doing some clear coat restarting myself and needed to know how to take off the handle trim. Thanks for the info. I love this forrum

Back