How To: Remove/Install Tranny and LSD or disassemble gears

One quick question - Does anybody know where the second stainless steel ball goes?
I know one goes in one of the holes with the yellow spring.

But there's an identical one that I found the the remaining transmission fluid after I removed the gears that I have no idea where it goes.

I'll be tackling this project when my LSD gets here. Going to try and find somebody to weld it good. Something I don't think I saw a definitive answer to is the seals:

Can I get them at a parts store or any Mazda dealer for the Protege, or are they specific to the MSP/MP3?? Same question for the throw out bearing? I'd rather not have to find a way to get to Omaha an hour & half away to the closest MazdaSpeed dealer if I can help it. Any information would help me out a bunch.

Thanks for the thread Steve, never even messed w/ a FWD tranny before so this one is gonna pop the cherry. (ughdance)

A lot of the autozones and so forth will carry the trans axle seals and the bearings you need...

could have bought the diff from us pre-welded! :)

Later,

Steve

TurfBurn said:
A lot of the autozones and so forth will carry the trans axle seals and the bearings you need...

could have bought the diff from us pre-welded! :)

Later,

Steve
I cant find it on your website. :(
I did just find the welding "service" you offer. U have a link for the diff+welding? Price is definitely a factor since I had to effin borrow money to get the damn thing.

Thanks again.

Little Beavis said:
Whew. . .saves me from doing a write up. Nice work bro! Obviously you've got more time on your hands than me these days. :D

I've got your next write up! How to turn your NA protege into a MSP - FI motor!

looks like you'll have to use the write up when you do my car, i'll make sure im the person that writes everything down, due to the fact im mechanically stupid LOL

Matthew1785 said:
looks like you'll have to use the write up when you do my car, i'll make sure im the person that writes everything down, due to the fact im mechanically stupid LOL
Simply take your time to write a number on each bolt and take a picture of it's location...
That's what I did for every single bolt from the wheel nuts down to the bolts on the LSD.

Well, all is good now. Took three nights of "after-work" work, but she's back in and on the road now. The biggest problem I ran into was the top bolt on the rear motor mount. That fucker was a b**** to get turned all the way in.

now, my lsd blew today while i was going to work. yea, add me to the list.

i'm limited on supplies, do i really really need that impact gun? or can i get it off with a breaker bar?

Last edited:
Boricua86 said:
now, my lsd blew today while i was going to work. yea, add me to the list.

i'm limited on supplies, do i really really need that impact gun? or can i get it off with a breaker bar?
You'll have a hard time with the axel nuts and locking nuts on the trans.
You'll have to find a way to keep the gears from spinning without damaging them.

damn. i guess i gotta take her to a shop then. i'm not going to buy a compressor and a gun just for 1 job. i will buy one on the long run, but right now i just need this car running again.

Boricua86 said:
damn. i guess i gotta take her to a shop then. i'm not going to buy a compressor and a gun just for 1 job. i will buy one on the long run, but right now i just need this car running again.
Ugh, that sux. What kinda price are you looking at to do the job? I can't even imagine. It ran me over $600 when all was said-and-done for parts/welding alone. There was no way I was about to drop another 250-500 bux on labor.

Dugg E Fresh said:
Ugh, that sux. What kinda price are you looking at to do the job? I can't even imagine. It ran me over $600 when all was said-and-done for parts/welding alone. There was no way I was about to drop another 250-500 bux on labor.
i don't know about the labor yet. i will find out soon.

but parts are almost $500 bucks and the labor is estimated $600 because i want them to install my clutch while they are at it.

Boricua86 said:
i don't know about the labor yet. i will find out soon.

but parts are almost $500 bucks and the labor is estimated $600 because i want them to install my clutch while they are at it.

Just take the actual tranny to the shop after you remove it to get those lock nuts off the gear shafts. And then take it back to get the locking nuts on after you replace the lsd. Make sure to get new gear shaft locking nuts!!! If you reuse the old ones they'll end up loosening up after a little while.

Well, I called the trans place and they gave me an estimate. $450 in labor. he was saying it might be something else, but I told him it was the lsd. He didn't care, he wants to check it himself. The clutch I didn't get a chance to talk about it, but I'm sure it'll be almost the same.

I'm ordering my parts from SU. I gotta wait for them to arrive. And they also offered me free towing and $100 bucks off any major tranny repair.

The parts are like $762 plus around $900 estimated labor. A little less then $2000 just to get my lsd and clutch installed.

Boricua86 said:

an electric impact gun (what I actually use most of the time) can be had from www.harborfreight.com for only about 45 dollars plus shipping... great for lots of tasks too!

If you need anything on parts let me know. we pull in LSD's pretty regularily and quickly.. and can get you any other OEM part you need whenever as well.

Later,

Steve

Hey Omar, what clutch did you decide to go with? I really wish I would've had the funds while my tranny was out, I proly would've gotten the Exedy stage II. Coulda gotten a hell of a deal on it at the time, but brokeness is a beeyatch.

my father lended me over $1800 bucks.

ordered the excedy stage 1 clutch. torque capacity is 320. 37% increase in torque. thats all i'll need.

Quick question. do i only need 3 bottles of lube? because i read that it recommends 3.5 bottles. i don't know to order 4 or not. i could save that extra $12 bucks if i don't need it.

edit: one more thing. can you guys give me an estimate on a clutch job? the tranny is coming out so i don't know how much labor he's going to charge me. i didn't get a chance to ask. i was thinking, since the tranny is already out for one job, he shouldn't charge that much labor since its already out for a different job.

Back