How to program keyless entry

itsjbeck

:
Pro5
programmed both of my key fobs today. not sure if there is a thread on this or not. but i found these instructions online.

1. Remove key from ignition.

2. Close all doors.

3. Open driver side door and leave open.

4. Perform the following steps within 24 seconds.
a. Insert key in ignition.
b. Turn key to ON and OFF.
c. Repeat step b two more times.
d. Remove key.
e. Push driver door frame button three times (black rubber button located on driver door frame that tell the vehicle whether or not door is closed.)

5. Buzz sound, chime or doors will lock and unlock should be heard at this point signaling that the vehicle is now in
programming mode. If not, wait 40 seconds and return to step 4.

6. All transmitters need to be programmed at this time, including the old ones. Push any button on the transmitter
two times. A buzz sound, chime or doors locking and unlocking should be heard at this point signaling that the
vehicle has accepted the new transmitter code. If there is only one transmitter, repeat this step two more times
using the only transmitter. If there are two transmitters, repeat this step two more times using the second
transmitter.

7. Push driver door frame button one time. Two buzz sounds, chimes or doors locking and unlocking 2 times should
be heard at this point signaling successful programming.

Nope...reprogramming doesn't work on my car. Weird. No beeps, chimes or whatever that's described in the instructions.

Well here's a copy from the FSM,... pretty much the same thing.

Untitled_zps2c53d611.jpg

Does your door switch button work ?? Does the door ajar light up when the door is open ?? Does the headlight reminder beep when you open the door with the headlights on and key removed ??
Some people delete the door switch so they can listen to the radio with the door open without the beeping.

Last edited:
Yup. It all beeps. I even found this diagram (above) a few weeks ago and tried following it. The key fob works since it's from my other Protege LX from back in October.

Do your door lock actuators lock then unlock ??? Or can't you even get that far ?? If not it may be your control module.
If the doors actuate then maybe your key fob isn't compatible or a dead battery or blown fuse. Do you have any working key fob for it now, to know if the system is even working or is it just the programming that isn't working ??

My car didn't come with a remote but I got one at a junker for ten bucks and programed it easily.

I have lost my only fob and bought two replacements.... my old fob worked great but the door lock actuators don't lock & unlock after trying the programing sequence many times. also everything else withe the door light, headlights on ect function as normal.

any ideas ?

Do your door lock actuators lock then unlock ??? Or can't you even get that far ?? If not it may be your control module.
If the doors actuate then maybe your key fob isn't compatible or a dead battery or blown fuse. Do you have any working key fob for it now, to know if the system is even working or is it just the programming that isn't working ??

My car didn't come with a remote but I got one at a junker for ten bucks and programed it easily.

I have tied every variation possible of the procedure to program but cant get the lock actuators to lock then unlock.... the door chime dash light and dome light all work fine.... what else am I missing ?

I have tied every variation possible of the procedure to program but cant get the lock actuators to lock then unlock.... the door chime dash light and dome light all work fine.... what else am I missing ?

Update: I found my lost fob and it works fine... but still not able to get the key less system into program mode.

Update: I found my lost fob and it works fine... but still not able to get the key less system into program mode.

Make sure you're turning the key all the way back to LOCK position and not just to ACC. position.

yea thanks, I am doing that.... along with variations on the door
I have tried literally 50 times and I have programmed fobs in my other car with ease

whats wrong with my mazda ?

All I can think of is a faulty key-less module,... there is a test for it,...

doorlocks_zpsa681c15b.jpg

doorlocks2_zps587bbda1.jpg

thanks, I had had already considered this but I figured the module wasn't faulty if my fob still work as normal.... is it possible ?

yea, anything is possible... looking at the steps of the tests i don't believe it will tell me anything as every part of the door and lock system and my current keyless fob are 100% functional.... so I am still stumped as to why it wont go into program mode.

Thanks for posting the diagrams and helping !

So I followed all these steps and it worked accept for the very last time I pushed the black button on the door it didn't make any noise or click to confirm. Also I have been having an issue with the two slider doors not responding to the remote at all times. That was an issue long before the remote completely stopped working. The remote is working now but still have an issue with the slider doors. Suggestions?!

Back