How to: Make your dash smoke in 6 steps (not an actual how to)

k2kyo

Step 1: Let somebody else do your soldering for you.

Step 2: Don't double check it.

Step 3: Be really tired when you look at it.

Step 4: Miss the fact that your amp speaker out puts are being run into your head unit, instead of into the wiring harness feeding the speakers.

Step 5: Connect amp.

Step 6: Watch the nifty effects.

Moral of the story, I think I fried my Head Unit. I cut the engine and disconnected the battery as soon as I saw/smelled smoke. I took out the HU and it was burning hot on the back metal plate. Any chance that it's still alive?? Hate to have my dad (he soldered the wires..just missed part of my instructions) spend $150 on a new HU.

#@&%!&#@$(@#)%*@&^$#%$&!#@($@*&%#^&@$*%)(&^

of course, as with every project I get into.. there are always a million little/big problems that come up unexpectedly. That's what I get for trying to do this myself.

Kyle

as for the problems, i have the same luck. even if its with computers, which i why im using my laptop for now.

Damn, man...that's why I didn't solder back there. I used crimp end butt connectors. One came loose on me at first, and then I had some nice alternator whine, but that was it. Funny how you can work to the point of exhaustion, and it'll make you feel al that much better that you did it, and didn't pay some greased up install monkey do it for you!

that feeling is exactly why I didn't pay somebody to do this yet. Despite all the problems, all the little bitty insignificant problems, etc.. I still feel better trying and f'ing up and I would if I had paid somebody to do it all for me.

I just gotta figure out if the HU is permenatly screwed, or if it's salvagable.

Kyle

Don't be too hard on Dad - Dad's are people too. And I know if I screwed up something on one of my kid's cars I'd have no problem taking care of it. It's cool to be involved with the next generation.

Oh I'm not mad at him.. I never even complained about it. The way I see it, it's half my fault for not making sure he understood exactly what the point was, and for not triple checking it. He's a brilliant guy, just didn't understand what I was doing exactly.

He offered to buy the head unit, I just don't want to make him pay that much.. trying to figure out a way to see if it will still work.

Ah well, live and learn..

Kyle

Take the headunit back to the store you purchased from..and switch w/ the old and new..And you get a new HU!

Chas

unfortunatly, this is what I get for going to Ebay. It was a dealer on ebay.. but still.. doubt I'll get any help there.

Kyle

OH man, that sucks big time! I can't believe it.
Easy way to test if the headunit itself still works, take the power wire, and the accessory wire, and twist them together, and then take the black, ground wire, and move all the other wires out of the way. then pop your hood, touch the leads to the battery, and see if the headunit even turns on, if it doesn't its fried. If it does turn on, there is a slight chance it may still play music when you hook it up correctly. Alll this does is save you the trouble of hooking it all back up before you know if it will get power or not.

Are you sure it's dead? maybe all you did was burn the wire harness and all you need is a new one, just a thought.

Id say chances are 99% its dead... take it our and smell the actual head unit, if it stinks like burnt silicone, then its dead.

Back