Guide How to send Nav destination from your phone to your CX-50 and saving in 'Favorites'

:
2014 & 2019 CX-5 Touring(s)
Provided your car has navigation enabled (either from the factory, or because you added a Nav SD card, 'Send to Car' is a function which uses the MyMazda APP to allow you to search for a destination and send it to the vehicle's navigation system. That part is fairly easy and intuitive, but getting that new destination saved into your car's 'Favorites' list is rather more, errr, 'non-intuitive'. I will be going on a vacation trip shortly and so I wanted to save some (temporary) destination POI's to my favorites and had to spend a good amount of time trying to find out how to do it. I searched the internet, read through the Connect and Navigation manuals, but it still took a fair amount of trial and error to get it to work. So, I figured I'd write up the steps and publish here to save others the heartache :)

First, use the MyMazda APP on your phone to find and select a destination and send it to your car (the easy part):
  1. At the top of the App screen, press on the 'folded map' icon to bring up the map.
  2. Then use the Search bar to find for the destination that you wish to set.
  3. Press on the correct search result to bring up a destination details page, and touch the 'SEND TO CAR' button at the bottom and the destination will be sent to the vehicle.
Now, moving to your car, switch the car on and you should see a Navigation pop-up on the center screen.
  1. Choose the relevant item from the pop-up as follows:
    i) if a Navigation Route has not already been created by the Vehicle, you will see "Create" - select and click it.
    ii)if a Navigation Route is already in progress, you will see "Replace" - select and click it.
  2. IMPORTANT: Start navigation to this new destination and allow guidance to Start. Then press the commander knob and select Cancel to quit the guidance. If not, the destination will be forgotten and you'll have to go back to the App and send it again!
  3. Now, with the map screen open, press the commander knob to display the menu and select "Add Destination".
  4. IMPORTANT: scroll down PAST the list of recent destinations until you get to the "More Recent Destinations" menu item and click on that (press the commander knob). This will display the list of recent destinations, including the one you just sent.
  5. Scroll through the list by rotating the commander knob, to select the destination you wish to add to your Favorites.
  6. While the chosen destination is selected, press and hold the 'Favorites' (star icon) hard button on the console. You should get a pop-up on the screen saying the destination has been added to your Favorites list.
Done! (Repeat the above steps for any other destinations you want to add.)

You probably have the previous generation "MZD Connect" (8" display), because in the newer generation "Mazda Connect" (10.25" display) there is no "Add Destination" option after pressing the commander button at number 3 in your explanation, at least in my European version.

As far as I know, there is no way to save the address as a favorite in the car itself as it is not listed in the history after being transferred from the MyMazda app. Not even after the route has been calculated. It is saved as a favorite in the MyMazda app itself.

If anyone knows how this can be done, I would really like to know.

You probably have the previous generation "MZD Connect" (8" display), because in the newer generation "Mazda Connect" (10.25" display) there is no "Add Destination" option after pressing the commander button at number 3 in your explanation, at least in my European version.

As far as I know, there is no way to save the address as a favorite in the car itself as it is not listed in the history after being transferred from the MyMazda app. Not even after the route has been calculated. It is saved as a favorite in the MyMazda app itself.

If anyone knows how this can be done, I would really like to know.
I have a CX-50 (as per the forum :) ), so it IS the latest Nav. I wrote some of this from memory, so I may have missed a step. I will check again later today.

Worry not though. It IS possible, at least in the US.

UPDATE: Hmm, I see in your other posts you have a CX-5. Not sure if that works the same way as the CX-50, but I would assume it's similar. Note: This is posted in the CX-50 forum.

Last edited:
OK, I went out to check. My instructions were correct (at least in the US and for the CX-50). When on the map display, if I press the commander knob, I get this menu displayed:
1705097621894.png

If you click "Add Destination" you get that menu, and if you scroll down, you see the "More Recent Destinations" menu:
1705097697360.png

Last edited:
In my car it's different:
After "select Cancel Route", I got the next options where your "Add Destination" is my "Where to?":

Where-to.jpg

This photo is taken before I canceled the route. After that the option "Cancel Route" is greyed out, and the active route in the background is not visible anymore.

I have the option "Recent Destinations" in this screen. But after sending the destination via the App or after the route calculation or after canceling the route, the new destination is nowhere to be found under this "Recent Destinations".

When I choose "Where to?" after canceling the route, I got the next default search screen:

Search.jpg

I have the latest firmware version for Europe: 7000C0A-EU08_10016 in my CX-5 2023.

Must be an EU vs US thing. Maybe we should start adding country flags by our names like some forums have. Mods?

My CX-5 says the same as his CX-50. I think Mazda may just have regional/linguistic differences.

My CX-5 says the same as his CX-50. I think Mazda may just have regional/linguistic differences.
I think only regionally.

Normally I have the Dutch language in my car.
But for the photos in this tread I temporarily changed it to English AU (should be Australia).
The options and their positions in the menus are the same for both languages.
It's the only English language I could choose.

Sorry I didn't noticed. I read the text under your avatar "RedBaron 2014 & 2019 CX-5 Touring(s)" and assumed it was about CX-5.
Ahh, understood. Sorry, we have the two CX-5's in the household too, but the forum has a character limit on the sig, so I couldn't add the CX-50 there. :( The avatar pic is my CX-50 though! :)

In my car it's different:
After "select Cancel Route", I got the next options where your "Add Destination" is my "Where to?":

View attachment 325174
This photo is taken before I canceled the route. After that the option "Cancel Route" is greyed out, and the active route in the background is not visible anymore.

I have the option "Recent Destinations" in this screen. But after sending the destination via the App or after the route calculation or after canceling the route, the new destination is nowhere to be found under this "Recent Destinations".

When I choose "Where to?" after canceling the route, I got the next default search screen:

View attachment 325175

I have the latest firmware version for Europe: 7000C0A-EU08_10016 in my CX-5 2023.
Well, "favourites" is spelled funny so it must be in one of those countries that does English in of those weird ways

Back