How to make Custom Sway Bar End links

Ok that was the trick. I used the funnel washers and O-rings that I got from AWR and it went together so well.

DSC_0187.JPG

I started out measuring the stock endlink. It was 10 1/2 inches from center to center.

DSC_0192.JPG

Then took into account the length of the heim joints (they arn't ball joints just FYI I know that McMaster says they are but technically they are called Heim Joints) Anyway I cut the all thread to 8 3/4 of an inch.

DSC_0190.JPG

Then assembled it and installed.

DSC_0189.JPG

DSC_0201.JPG

DSC_0197.JPG

just curious but why use the orings in the first place?

i just used some tapered poly sleeves i found at a hardware store for my spacers. work great.

endlinks.jpg

just curious but why use the orings in the first place?

i just used some tapered poly sleeves i found at a hardware store for my spacers. work great.

The orings aren't there as spacers. they are to help seal the heim joint and to act as a control for movement of the endlink. The funnel shaped metal washer is there as the spacer and it is only funnel shaped so it would hold in the oring. You could use a spacer like you did no problem. BUT I doubt I would use a piece of Poly vinyl, seems like that wouldn't be strong enough to support the proper torque load on the bolt and would lose it's shape over time. I would stick with a metal spacer.

i got brass ones too but the poly ones were stronger and are holding up great. i was surprised actually but probably a month now in heavy rain and my idiot driving and they look as good as when i put them in =)

Ok I tried going through all 13pages of this thread but couldn't...
what was the outcome of the parts in the OP. Did they last, or was there some sort of upgraded parts list I missed?

Couple months for me. No problems. Had tightenthe rod nuts but thatsit

these for the front or the rear endlinks?

Ok that was the trick. I used the funnel washers and O-rings that I got from AWR and it went together so well.

DSC_0187.JPG

I started out measuring the stock endlink. It was 10 1/2 inches from center to center.

DSC_0192.JPG

Then took into account the length of the heim joints (they arn't ball joints just FYI I know that McMaster says they are but technically they are called Heim Joints) Anyway I cut the all thread to 8 3/4 of an inch.

DSC_0190.JPG

Then assembled it and installed.

DSC_0189.JPG

DSC_0201.JPG

DSC_0197.JPG

Couple months for me. No problems. Had tightenthe rod nuts but thatsit

and you used the part numbers from the OP?? I've seen a couple different people in this thread using different parts but couldn't find out why. I'm assuming just personal choice?

I used the carbon fiber race material joints. so prob the same. my friend cut me some lengths of stainless steel 3/8 24 rod from his work and got me a bunch of nuts for nothing. so i spent like... $20 for the ball joints + shipping cause i had to drop ship from the states.

im not using the orings though. used poly plumbing bushings instead =) if its squeeking, i sure cant hear it over my awr bushings.

Yes mine where for fronts, stock length on an MP3. I used the OP's joints and got most of the rest of the stuff from either fastenal or like I said I called up Tony at AWR and got the Orings and washers from him

so i am having a big problem finding the right threaded rod to thread into the joints from the first post. any help?

meh...its probably cheaper if you do it yourself. lol I could make a set for you if you were really interested.

PM me

Also got some bad ass HD rubber to squeeze between everything. Will post pics tomorrow.

Back