How-To: Kill Clunk Cheap!!

I knew there had to be a hole somewhere close companys just dont do that sort of thing there had to be some access.

Velocifero said:
I had one of the welded nuts inside the crosmember break loose when I was installing mine, it was my own fault, anyways, you can get a longer box end in the crossmember and i ran a bolt out from inside the member out. let me know if you need some pictures of how I did this. It is possible and you will not need to replace anything or cut any holes in it, just takes a simple tool and some patience.

Yeah, Its def possible because i just finished mine ...
I ran out to home depot and picked up some new hardware and then just cut off the bolt (awkward angle.) I then ran a nut on the inside of the cross member and mounted the bushing bracket. You have to be patient and have determination (3 hrs worth) and it will all come together. Its perfectly fine now except when I go to lube them up again I'll have to use this same method (on one side anyway)

o.g.sk8er ---> No need to cut or replace your cross member to fix this ... just make sure you have a long reach wrench and some new hardware if your cutting it.

Thanks for everyones input with this!!

(thumb)

I just replaced my front and rear bushings with the ones from street unit and not only did it fix the clunk (which btw started at 50,500 miles--figures), but it also remedied the crunching from the from sway bar bushings. Lubricated them with Lithium grease first and all better now.

Note: don't try to replace the front bushings one at a time. Do both sides at once to release the whole bar otherwise you will struggle for a long time to get the bolts for the brackets lined up again.

I've had to relubricate the rear bushings twice in 2 weeks. Am I missing something?

I unscrewed the brackets holding the sway bar in, replaced the worn stock bushings with the street units' (which are a perfect fit), lube the hell out of the inside of the bushing that touches the sway bar, tighten back up...

and the rear bar (and only the rear) starts to creek after a few days, just like a bushing in need of lubrication.

What gives? Anyone else having/had this issue?

I'm guessing they aren't greasable bushings? I have non greasable ones on and the squeaking's driving me nuts. Even if you lube them the grease will eventually work it's way out.

they don't have a nipple to inject lube if that's what you mean (ha ha, I know).

But they shipped me the lithium grease so I'd think that I'm not the only one who's purchased this kit from them. I never had this with the stocker's until they started clunking around 50K miles. Up til then, they were fine and lower maintenance than these were.

Laser03pro said:
Super lube is also sold here but at a higher price they recamend it and they sell alot of chassis parts. As you can see only lube poly bushings with synth grease.
http://spohn.net/product.cfm?productid=1322

That ES stuff im sure is good s*** too Bala.

Well, not that you need to worry about it anymore ;), I'm finding that I need to re-lube my MSP's bushings every two months or so - I've got a grease gun so I'll give that other stuff a try ...

My camaro will have some poly bushings soon lol. I almost wish I would of kept the protege to daily drive it was a good little car.

I know it says (optional) but getting the 10mm hex bolts wourth the trip? Will stock work the same or these just take up more space??

Laser03pro said:
Stock bolts worked fine that just might be incase your stockers are all rusted up.

Thanks, I am just concerned cause I know I read somewhere that the new bushings are bigger then the stock ones that's why bigger bolts were reccomended. But that may have been something I thought of or made up I can't remember.

But hope it goes well, getting stock exhaust back on, so i'll be doing this too, seems like the clunk came out of no were when I first got my exhaust.

With these bushings you will def be clunk free you might get a poly bushing crunch sound after awhile but if you use the good grease it should last a very long time.

ok i just greased my rear bushings and no sound is produced. well not anymroe anyway from the back. but the front sway bar is creaking like crazy and i have no clue how to take it off. any suggestions?

Back