How-To: Kill Clunk Cheap!!

gjmoreo said:
hehe i went thru that X-member with my hand and wrench to mount my new bushings ... F-ing weld that tacked that nut in place was garbage.
no doubt, I have had three of them fail, but my rear sway is as tight as I can go with it so they are under some hella stress. Pretty sure that is why the AWR mount broke too. I'll throw a pic of that up tomorrow from work.

my broken AWR bracket

Attachments

• Image051.jpg
    Image051.jpg
    279.1 KB · Views: 299
So I brought my car to the local dealership... figuring, since I've given them a ton of business in the past, they'd throw these on for me. To my surprise/dismay, they said it would cost $80 (hour of labor) At first I thought he was joking... after I realized he wasn't, I then reminded him of how many times I've been there and how this job would probably take 5 minutes... not 60. Even still, he didn't waiver. Needless to say... I'm going to have to put them on myself...and find another dealership.

just tried to put these on... Anyone have any pointers on how best to get to that top bolt? The bottom one is easy enough but that top is a PITFA. I'm not sure what it is but... there's a bar that runs parallell to the swaybar. it's like an inch away and makes it pretty difficult to get to the bolt. Granted, my car wasn't on a lift or anything... but still. Based on the posts you guys made, I figured this was doable with the car on the ground.

finally installed these.... friend of mine let me use his lift. it's a lot easier to get to the top bolt that way. anyway, bushings defintely made a huge difference. no more clunk... no more squeaky bed (at least not when I drive) and the handling obviously is much improved as well. Let's just hope this "solution" lasts longer than Mazda's... I was having mine replaced every 6 months until my warranty went out.

lcruz64 said:
Parts needed:
2 AWR MP3 Urethane Replacement Bushings
They are red not black not sure why they are like that on awr.com
Image #1
4 Home Depot Replacement Bolts (Optional)
Image #2

Tools needed:
Craftsman 3/8 in. Drive Flex Head Ratchet (Recomended)
Image #3
14MM Socket standard length and deep
17MM Socket standard length and deep (Home Depot Bolts)
3" Extension Bar

Suplies needed:
Grease
Thread Lock

what is the site you used to get your 20mm bushings?

CHICO2003 said:
finally installed these.... friend of mine let me use his lift. it's a lot easier to get to the top bolt that way. anyway, bushings defintely made a huge difference. no more clunk... no more squeaky bed (at least not when I drive) and the handling obviously is much improved as well. Let's just hope this "solution" lasts longer than Mazda's... I was having mine replaced every 6 months until my warranty went out.

It'll last as long as you take them back off a few times a year to grease them.

Eventually you'll get sick of that and buy the AXR clunk fix bracket and a grease gun (greasable bushings ftw)

i fixed my rear clunk .. now i have the same problem in the front, everytime i go over a bump it makes that annoying sound.. so can i buy front bushings? and change thme out, are they the same as the rear? i need to kno, thanks

Back