HOW TO: Install Boost Gauge into Drivers Vent

I have to head over to Radio Shack before the install so I'll look into the add-a-fuse things. My only question doesn't have to do with the install, but the lame instructions from Prosport. From the sender there are 3 wires, black for ground (simple), White goes to the Green wire from Gauge (simple) Red is for Acc Power, Ok I get that. But from the gauge there are 5 wires. Green goes to white from the sender, black is another ground, orange goes to headlights, its the white wire and red wire I'm confused on. White wire is supposed to go to another power source and so is red, but in the instructions for the red wire it also says "also run to sender". What does that mean? And also, I want to run full amber/amber, not white/amber. I know that includes not connecting one of the wires. Any further help would be appreciated.

Thanks Smokey, btw, come June my weekends will be alot more hectic. Talked to my wife about it, she's down for meeting you guys.

here is what prosport says...hope it helps in the mean time..this is for white in the day and red at night...so i would think that you just leave the white white alone
Q: I lost my instructions how do I wire the performance Series gauge?
A: Black –Ground
Red - 12v ign. power-meaning power when the ignition is on.
White- 12v ign. power
Orange-Headlight switch.
Green - Sender
The above/below wiring will result in white during the day and color (amber or Green) at night.

Q: How Do I wire my Premium Series(Peak/Warning) Gauges?
A: Red -Constant 12v power
Black-Ground
White-12v ignition power
Orange-headlight switch
Green –Sender

Cool that definitely helps. Sounds like I just don't use the white wire. One less thing to worry about. awesomeness.

I have to head over to Radio Shack before the install so I'll look into the add-a-fuse things.

Your local Radio Shack will probably not have them. You're better off going to an auto parts store (Pep Boys, Advanced, VatoZone, etc.). With the Add-a-Fuses, make sure you also get a 1 or 2 amp mini fuse for each (if they don't come with them already). Also keep in mind that the Add-a-Fuses are rated up to 10 amps, so I wouldn't go tapping into a 15 amp source. You will be OK tapping a 10 amp source and using a 2 amp fuse as the piggyback.

Well as of yesterday the prosport turbo gauge is in. The install wasn't actually too bad. The most time consuming part was due to an error on my part. While using a flathead to get the trunk release mechanism down, I popped the spring in it and all the peices went flying. Took me a while to get it all back together. Overall I'm happy with the gauge and ventpod. After about 30 minutes of driving the highest reading I was getting was around 11 so I figured I must have a leak in my tubing to the sender, but once I get her in 5th it shot up to 16, yay!!! Only complaint about the gauge (might be my wiring) is that when I first turn it on, its a red color, and if I put on my brights it goes to orangey color. Is that normal?

Not sure about the Prosport, but the Defi sender has to be oriented in a way that the vac nipple is pointing straight down. Otherwise, you run the risk of reading slightly-off vac and pressure.

Hmm, interesting. I hadn't thought about that. As of now, I have the sender drilled into the battery box cover with the nipple facing left, and the wiring going out the right side. It made sense to me since I had the tube coming from the left, and the wires were going to the right anyway. But I'll try fannegling it and see what happens.

I didn't even drill. You know that cluster of wires from the fuse box that runs across the front of the battery box? That cluster is attached to the box with two plastic harness clips. I removed one of them and used the now vacant hole in the box to mount the sender.

nah my prosport doesn't do that at all.mine stays a constant color from the start..but i am glad your happy with your gauge. post pics!!!

Hah, i did the same thing I just didn't want to make my post longer than needed and explain it. In your previous post did you mention that because you think I might be getting wrong readings? I thought 16psi was pretty average for an ms3. All I have are intake upgrades, should I have a higher psi?

well your have seen my car...i hold at between 15 and 16 with my mods..but i spike to 18.5...before my intercooler and tip i was spiking to 16 and holding 14-15

you may want to check your stock turbo inlet pipe..alot of people complained it was very loose which may cause leaking..also check your boost tubes...sometimes they loosen up too...and last check your bov...my bov needs its piston re lubed up every now and then for a smoother movement. idk how your bov is tho...

Hmm, interesting. I hadn't thought about that. As of now, I have the sender drilled into the battery box cover with the nipple facing left, and the wiring going out the right side. It made sense to me since I had the tube coming from the left, and the wires were going to the right anyway. But I'll try fannegling it and see what happens.

That's how I have my sender oriented. Works just fine. Highest reading I get is between 17-18 PSI.
As far as the color goes it's most likely your wiring. I'll give it a try later to see if the gauge changes color when the high beams are on.
Overall how you like it? I have interior leds that match it all. I love the way it looks!

Overall, I'm definitely pleased. I'll eventually try redoing my wiring, but for now it's not a big deal to flash my hi-beams every time I start the car.

Glad you like it. As someone else put it, for the price and with lifetime warranty, the gauge is tough to beat. It not only looks good but works good as well. About the readings, it may be the stock BPV. My readings go up to 17-18 PSI then start to go down afterwards. Read around that the stock plastic BOV has a tendency to not hold high boost well.

I'm going to replace mine soon with the HKS one

EDIT
nevermind saw now in your sig that you have the turbosmart bov. lol noob mistake on my part. i guess whenever you have time check your wiring and all the hoses and connections under the hood. you may have a kink or loose clamp.

thanks to this thread i was able to install mine :D only sucky thing was finding the fuse taps which no radio shack had and 4 autozones later lol.
oiy6ur.jpg

SSPX0448.jpg

SSPX0452.jpg

SSPX0447.jpg

bad cell phone pics. the lights arent pink they're red. gauge matches nicely. my setup is prosport premium boost gauge with rpm store's ventpod

Back