How To: headlight black out for P5!

If you haven't had the bumper off before be very careful. There are clips on the sides of the headlights that hold the side part of the bumper up nice and tight to the fender and headlight, and they break very easily. The guide mentions that part if I recall correctly. I know it has been said but just take your time and be really careful not to strip the plastic screws that hold the splash guards and stuff in place.

KanseiZM said:
If you haven't had the bumper off before be very careful. There are clips on the sides of the headlights that hold the side part of the bumper up nice and tight to the fender and headlight, and they break very easily. The guide mentions that part if I recall correctly. I know it has been said but just take your time and be really careful not to strip the plastic screws that hold the splash guards and stuff in place.

Yea, I broke mine. haha. Any one know if you can buy replacements? IIRC, it is a small piece that is removeable.

If you want to match the OEM black headlights I think you'd want to use a satin finish? not a really high lustre gloss but not flat. semi-gloss might work, but I can't picture exactly what semi-gloss looks like.

Crazy D said:
Question ?.....Flat black or Semi - Gloss ? ?

The stuff I used was low-gloss black engine paint. It looks awesome!
DSC08486.sized.jpg

DSC08487.sized.jpg

I'm going to try to get better pictures today.

haha well since im a procrastinator I now have to wait till next week to do mine, but I already bought the paint im going to use.. its the same as the guy who first did it, I'll make sure to take pictures when I do it.

khaosman said:
The stuff I used was low-gloss black engine paint. It looks awesome!
DSC08486.sized.jpg

DSC08487.sized.jpg

I'm going to try to get better pictures today.

That looks sweet man...txs, I'll pick up the paint this weekend and give it a shot... I'll post Pics once completed.

Also painting the upper Grill lip and my calipers and anything else that gets in my way...lol

I'm gonna C if I take a full day and do it all...

Onatrum said:
For anybody that HAS broken the bumper clip under the headlight, was it relatively cheap or easy to fix? By the way my bumper is drooping on the driver side, I can tell that the clip is either damaged or broken (from hitting a raccoon). It doesn't look so bad that I felt I had to fix it right away, but if I attempt this mod, nows the perfect time! Thanks!

Got the Part #'s :): http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2524803#post2524803

Ripper323 said:
Has anyone used different colours apart from black? i.e. to match the colour of the car?

I've seen it done with yellow and it looked.. weird. It looks OK with silver though :)

question about the oven

does the oven step make the lense black or is it just to heat the seal so you can get it off

i can't tell from the picture

another question pls.

if they are blacked out does the light still project as well?
to me it seems like the chrome finish helps make the light work
I'm talking a safety issue here

Is it legal in canada?

Sorry for the silly questions, but I really want to do this and am unsure

You won't be painting the reflector, so no worries there. I'll post a shot of the real deal a little later for ref. ...

WinnipegPro5 said:
if they are blacked out does the light still project as well?
to me it seems like the chrome finish helps make the light work
I'm talking a safety issue here

Is it legal in canada?

Sorry for the silly questions, but I really want to do this and am unsure

Hell yeah it's legal in Canada.. the later Protege5s in Canada were sold with the black headlight housing.

KanseiZM said:
Hell yeah it's legal in Canada.. the later Protege5s in Canada were sold with the black headlight housing.
Yes they were. Behold - Genuine Canadian P5 lights (a special shout out to my "Canadian Hookup" :))
(canada)
canblk1.jpg

canblk2.jpg

Bala de Plata said:
Yes they were. Behold - Genuine Canadian P5 lights (a special shout out to my "Canadian Hookup" :))
(canada)
canblk1.jpg

canblk2.jpg
you traitor!!!! (peep) j/k

ahhhh, so clean and shiny and free of rock chips and pits....

i should have kept them and sent you mine!! :D

Back