How to have keys copied?

rdemattio

:
2008 Mazda 3 I Sport
Hello, I only have 1 set of keys for my car, and today I made the mistake of locking them in my car. Luckily my girlfreinds father is a cop and he broke into it for me. I've been wanting to get a spare made and just have been putting it off but that was a wake up call. I talked to the locksmith and he said it was a coded key? He said I would have to get it from a Mazda Dealer. My questions are, will a key copied by a locksmith work on my door locks but not the ignition? And how much do the keys at the mazda dealer cost?

If I remember this right you need to have the code your car when you do it. its a small silver tag (mine was on my user manual case) then once the key is made you have to program it. ive seen the instructions somewhere on this forum and will repost them for you as soon as i find them. as for the cost... no idea. but theyre not cheap.

i got mine done a while back, I just went in with the key and the fob, the copied it and reprogramed the new one in like 15 min, it ran me around 250-300 dont remember exactly but good luck.

Heres a link to one of the HOW-To's in the forum. Its got the key programming instructions on there. not sure if you need to have two keys or if one will do it. It seems like everything ive read on this shows that you NEED to have two keys to program a third one. not too sure if it would help in your case tho. also not sure what you have to do if this doesnt work for you but hopefully this helps
http://http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123646482-Key-flip-key-part-s-compiled&daysprune=-1

I'm thinking of just making a copy of the key so I can unlock my door, and just hope that I never lose my keys.

Let me know how it goes for you. im thinking of a third set for myself just in case

If you have one working key: The dealer must program a second key for you via their computer. You can get the key for $9-35 depending on where you get it but you're at the dealer's mercy as far as having it programmed.

If you have two working keys: You can program additional keys in in about 15 seconds via the guide above. I suggest everyone gets a third key so that in the event they lose one of those three keys they still have two working ones and can just add a replacement easily without involving the dealer.

Back