How-To: Drive Stick Shift - A 12 step program

Protege__Owner said:
Thanks chuyler and astral for the follow up. Now let me get this straight, assuming I'm shifting from 3rd to 2nd... I should step on clutch, shift down to 2nd while simultaneously rev matching and then release clutch?
Yes.
Protege__Owner said:
So should I let go of the gas pedal as I'm letting out the clutch or do I just release the clutch while I'm still on the gas?
Since blipping the throttle (rev matching) means that you're giving it a bunch of gas, you obviously would be coming off gas somewhat. It depends on the car, but basically you don't want to keep the revs any higher than the revmatch point until the clutch is fully engaged. Once the clutch is fully or 90% engated, you can smoothly transition into full throttle. This may mean that you have to fully release the gas pedal after blipping the throttle, or maybe you have to give it some gas. Depends on the car and the revs.

The way you know that you're giving it too much gas while letting out the clutch is that the revs momentarily shoot up and then they fall back in line because the clutch is now fully engaged.

The key is to be smooth. Be as smooth with your shifts as possible and fast shifts will come naturally.

uhhh ok, i think i missed something, i never rev match when i down shift. whats the deal with rev matching, it doesnt slow down the car? (well it does just takes real long) but letting the engine slow you down will much faster. what am i missing, its not like i let my clutch out mid way and let it f up my clutch...?? do truckers rev match when down shifting?

No it doesn't take long at all. If you just downshift by slowly letting out your clutch, you're just wreaking havoc on your clutch.

kableguy said:
uhhh ok, i think i missed something, i never rev match when i down shift. whats the deal with rev matching, it doesnt slow down the car? (well it does just takes real long) but letting the engine slow you down will much faster. what am i missing, its not like i let my clutch out mid way and let it f up my clutch...?? do truckers rev match when down shifting?

Yes, they do. It only makes sense, and since most don't use the clutch for anything(s) but starting out and stopping, they have to.

wow ok, this is trippin me out, im gona tape what i do and someone tell me if its wrong cuz i tried to drive without downshifting tonight and it was dam near impossible its such a habit now... **** i hope this isnt screwing up my car everyone tells me im doing it right but wtf do they know

Well yeah.. you downshift, but when you do you make sure you rev the engine so that you can just totally instantaneously drop the clutch in the lower gear and it's still smooth

Kansei said:
Well yeah.. you downshift, but when you do you make sure you rev the engine so that you can just totally instantaneously drop the clutch in the lower gear and it's still smooth

+1.

there is one step you may want to add. It was brought to my attention in a similiar thread in a differnt forum. Step 2 should be learning to use the clutch by itself. Find a level parking lot and put the car in neutral. Put it into first gear and slowly let the clutch out until the rpm's start to drop. This is your clutch engagement point. Now very very slowly let the clutch out the car will start to roll foward. When it has gained enough momentum let the clutch all the way out and let the car roll around do not use the gas. When you are ready to stop push in the clutch and the brake pedal. Rinse and repeat repeat repeat. Before long you will know exactly where the clutch is going to engage and when you have to feed in the gas which can be described in step 3 combining step 1 and 2.

I have been taught that also Shadow but it doesn't really help the beginner.

First off, it can't be done in every car. Some cars just bog and stall even with an experienced driver.

Second, you don't want to give the beginner the false conception that he or she can start without the gas. Sure you can do it...but it isn't realistic practice on any road. So I wouldn't waste time with it.

Third, if you teach them to hold the gas pedal and maintain RPMs there is really no need to show them this step. They will find the spot just fine with their foot on the gas pedal and since that is how they will be starting 99% of the time there is no need to get them frustrated with stalling the car when not using the gas.

Shadow102 said:
there is one step you may want to add. It was brought to my attention in a similiar thread in a differnt forum. Step 2 should be learning to use the clutch by itself. Find a level parking lot and put the car in neutral. Put it into first gear and slowly let the clutch out until the rpm's start to drop. This is your clutch engagement point. Now very very slowly let the clutch out the car will start to roll foward. When it has gained enough momentum let the clutch all the way out and let the car roll around do not use the gas. When you are ready to stop push in the clutch and the brake pedal. Rinse and repeat repeat repeat. Before long you will know exactly where the clutch is going to engage and when you have to feed in the gas which can be described in step 3 combining step 1 and 2.
i can start in first gear and release the clutch completely on a roll with no gas added. has to be on a down hill or if i'm moving really slow in traffic. if you engage it slowly enough, you won't stall. but for a beginner, it's prob best to add a bit of gas when they are learning the engagement point.

I do think that's a good exercise for learning the engagement point of the clutch, so you can learn to get to it quickly, but it's not really necessary to go as far as getting the car moving with the clutch fully engaged. IMO it's enough to practice that initial engagement and a little bit beyond.

This was a great write-up! Thanks for that. If I could be so bold as to add one thing-

For the people who may have been driving a stick for a while, or for the complete beginner- rev matching is TRICKY to learn. Please DON'T practice this around other cars. I can't even begin to count how many times I slipped off the brake and gassed it when trying to get it right. Obviously- this accelerates you forward, not slowing you down. If you do this into the back of a SUV, your P5 front end will not be happy with you.

It's a fantastic technique, and I use it daily (even in traffic) but NOT without a lotta practice. Just my $.02

Sorry to scan only and didnt read every post.
But I used to have a 70VW bug, and one night my girlfriend and I were an hour out of town and my clutch cable snapped...oh s***! So I was really pissed and luckily they didnt make you push in the clutch along time ago. So I started it in 1st gear and jerkily got it going, then I timed the revs to switch into 2nd, 3rd and 4th, I could time this up and down without grinding. So then I got the P5 and just had to see if this worked and it did(except for the start). I can shift up any gear without having to touch the clutch, I dont have the balls to try to downshift though. I dont do it regularly it was just an experiment for me. But I would guess that this is the best place(rev wise) to shift (with the clutch) as it would take alot of pressure off of the clutch???

The clutch is designed to wear...and it will last 200K+ if you drive correctly. So there is no need to clutchless shift. It is an interesting experiment, but fixing the synchros, gears, and shifter forks will cost you much more than a basic clutch replacement. Think of that when you hear those gears grinding.

hotrippr said:
...I could time this up and down without grinding...I would guess that this is the best place(rev wise) to shift (with the clutch) as it would take alot of pressure off of the clutch???
So you think it is still not good, even if it doesnt grind? I mean I can do it with out any noise or feel. Yeah I am not recommending this is the way to save the clutch but just interested in or effects that it may or may not have. Yes of course grinding isnt good, I am wondering if when done perfectly is it still bad for the car. Sorry if I am over clarifying my question here.

Last edited:
i've driven some cars with a badly worn clutch and you can shift pretty easily without using the clutch peddle. I actually did it by accident.

Haha what do you do to teach someone how to swiM? Throw them in the deep end. I learned when I was 13, took my Mom's Colt out and didnt know how to but I learned that night, and I also got my ass kicked when I got home at 2am. Yeah my Dad gave me some pointers also and taught me how to drive early but you just got to get to it, you can talk someone's ear off about feathering and all that but in the end it is sink or swim. Man this takes me back has it really been that long...to be 13 again.

lol awesome xD hehe yea thats how i learned to swim around 5 or so haha xD i cant wait for the day i get a standard car xD

I agree that it eventually comes down to sink-or-swim. You've got to let the person loose with the car on their own time without anyone making pointers. However, you need to show them the basics first and guide their progress so they dont develop bad habits.

As for the clutchless shifting...if you want to do it on a regular basis I'm not going to stop you. It's your car. But keep in mind you are putting more stress on the synchros. In a passenger car they are not designed or tested to put up with 100,000 miles of clutchless shifting. They are simply there to eliminate the need for double-clutching.

Read about synchros...
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/transmission3.htm

Back