How-To: Drive Stick Shift - A 12 step program

Akaveli said:
I'm not sure but is this rev matching also but, when I'm in 5th gear at 3k rpms and I wanna downshift to 4th, my rpms need to be at 4k. I press and hold the clutch in, shift to Neutral, gas it a lil til the I reach above 4k rpm, once I reach it, shift into 4th, release clutch and give it gas. Three times I did it, it went smoothly, once it jerked just a slightly. Is that also considered rev matching or do I need to place an order in for a new Clutch??

Yeah thats about right

Blackrose said:
Yeah thats about right

thanks :) so far one whole month of stick shift driving and it feels great!. (yippy)

Akaveli said:
thanks :) so far one whole month of stick shift driving and it feels great!. (yippy)

Yeah its fun and a good skill to have. You never know when you might need to use it.

Akaveli said:
I'm not sure but is this rev matching also but, when I'm in 5th gear at 3k rpms and I wanna downshift to 4th, my rpms need to be at 4k. I press and hold the clutch in, shift to Neutral, gas it a lil til the I reach above 4k rpm, once I reach it, shift into 4th, release clutch and give it gas. Three times I did it, it went smoothly, once it jerked just a slightly. Is that also considered rev matching or do I need to place an order in for a new Clutch??
Don't wait to put it into 4th until the RPMS reach 4K... just go 5th to 4th quickly, while simultaneously revving to 4K. As long as you release the clutch in 4th gear with 4K RPMs on the tach, you're golden.

Eventually, you'll get in a habit of blipping throttle every time you downshift, whihc will lead to a happier clutch.

Akaveli said:

I tend to not hold the clutch in while blipping the throttle.
I guess I've practised enough to release the clutch pedal while in neutral to blip the throttle, then press the clutch pedal in again to engage the next downshifted gear.
I'm protecting the throw-out bearing more than the clutch surface by doing this.

Astral said:
Don't wait to put it into 4th until the RPMS reach 4K... just go 5th to 4th quickly, while simultaneously revving to 4K. As long as you release the clutch in 4th gear with 4K RPMs on the tach, you're golden.

Eventually, you'll get in a habit of blipping throttle every time you downshift, whihc will lead to a happier clutch.

hhmm.. sounds good. I'll give it a try tonight after work.

Action Jackson said:
I tend to not hold the clutch in while blipping the throttle.
I guess I've practised enough to release the clutch pedal while in neutral to blip the throttle, then press the clutch pedal in again to engage the next downshifted gear.
I'm protecting the throw-out bearing more than the clutch surface by doing this.
That's double-clutching? Are you really protecting the throw-out bearing? Double-clutching, AFAIK, protects synchros, since when you blip it with the clutch out in neutral, you spin up the input shaft, so when you put the clutch back in, the synchros do barely any work engaging. (I double-clutch going from 3500RPM to 7500RPM 6th to 3rd gear, otherwise 3rd gear engagement has a lot of resistance [i.e. synchros don't wanna]).

Astral said:
That's double-clutching? Are you really protecting the throw-out bearing? Double-clutching, AFAIK, protects synchros, since when you blip it with the clutch out in neutral, you spin up the input shaft, so when you put the clutch back in, the synchros do barely any work engaging. (I double-clutch going from 3500RPM to 7500RPM 6th to 3rd gear, otherwise 3rd gear engagement has a lot of resistance [i.e. synchros don't wanna]).

I think you're right. DD was done to protect syncro's back in the early manual tranny days when they weren't so good.

I also wished I had a 6th gear to play with......:(

6th gear doesn't get much action really...and I still hesitate like I'm going to accidently drop the clutch in reverse...and coming out of 6th I'm not really sure what to do. Going to 5th is pointless when slowing down...yet going to 4th feels equally odd. lately I've been motioning 5th but without letting out the clutch...then I go to 4th right afterwards.

Astral said:

A happier clutch indeed. When I upgraded mine at 78500 miles my stock one was still mint, and I learned to drive stick on this car. There's no excuse not to rev-match every downshift. Don't make the clutch to any more than it needs to, because replacing the clutch can take an afternoon and is not particularly fun!

Chris, I think I see one slight error though:
" 3 to 2: Here you need to fist the shifter and pull back-right-back or do"

back-left-back, no? have I lost my mind? (doh)

Correct. Thanks for proof reading. Apparently everyone else just accepted shifting from 3rd to reverse.

Nice write-up, chuyler1!! Found this thread from a link on another....
in 34+ yrs of driving I've only ever owned mtx's and unless I'm really looking to "redlight" someone and get out ahead, one thing I usually do in day-to-day driving is to let the clutch out the clutch first. Then as it begins to grab add throttle as needed. This has saved my clutches to well over 100K time and time again.

can u get some pictures for me? im not following =) haha. nice write. btw you taught ur wife on the ms6? thats a tricky car to learn on.

No, I taught her on the Protege5. However, when she started driving the 6 it really helped her understand the "catch point" of the clutch. The 6 actually has one where the 5 is like...well...mashed potatoes.

Question for you guys,
I noticed that some of you mentioned double clutching and rev matching. Question I have is whether or not you should let the clutch out while rev matching or leave the clutch depressed while rev matching? Three Scenarios (Shifting from 3rd to 2nd):
1) clutch in, shift to neutral, clutch out, rev match, clutch in and shift to 2nd.
2) clutch in, shift to 2nd, rev match, let clutch out.
3) clutch in, rev match, shift to 2nd, let clutch out.
Which one of these are the right way to rev-match? Feel free to voice your suggestions or opinions. Thank you. I personally use the 1st scenario.

Protege__Owner said:
Question for you guys,
I noticed that some of you mentioned double clutching and rev matching. Question I have is whether or not you should let the clutch out while rev matching or leave the clutch depressed while rev matching? Three Scenarios (Shifting from 3rd to 2nd):
1) clutch in, shift to neutral, clutch out, rev match, clutch in and shift to 2nd.
2) clutch in, shift to 2nd, rev match, let clutch out.
3) clutch in, rev match, shift to 2nd, let clutch out.
Which one of these are the right way to rev-match? Feel free to voice your suggestions or opinions. Thank you. I personally use the 1st scenario.
#2 and #3 are the same, because with the clutch in, the rev matching has no effect on gear engagement. So best option is #4, clutch in, rev match while shifting to 2nd, let clutch out. It's the fastest way.

#1 is double-clutching and it's not necessary, unless you're trying to shift into 1st at above 15mph, or trying to go from 5th to top of rev range in 2nd, or basically some other situation, in which you're dramatically increasing the revs.

For example, I double-clutch going from 6th gear doing ~3700 rpms to 3rd gear doing ~7500 rpms. That's a huge change in RPMs, and if I try to stick it directly from 3rd to 6th, I feel a fair amount of resistance (it takes a while for the synchros to spin up). When I double-clutch, 3rd gear engages butter smooth. However, going 4th to 3rd is always regular revmatched single-clutching action, going from about 5500RPMs to 7500RPMs.

You should use single-clutch (regular revmatched shifts) unless you have a good reason to double-clutch.

Astral said:
#2 and #3 are the same, because with the clutch in, the rev matching has no effect on gear engagement. So best option is #4, clutch in, rev match while shifting to 2nd, let clutch out. It's the fastest way.

#1 is double-clutching and it's not necessary, unless you're trying to shift into 1st at above 15mph, or trying to go from 5th to top of rev range in 2nd, or basically some other situation, in which you're dramatically increasing the revs.

For example, I double-clutch going from 6th gear doing ~3700 rpms to 3rd gear doing ~7500 rpms. That's a huge change in RPMs, and if I try to stick it directly from 3rd to 6th, I feel a fair amount of resistance (it takes a while for the synchros to spin up). When I double-clutch, 3rd gear engages butter smooth. However, going 4th to 3rd is always regular revmatched single-clutching action, going from about 5500RPMs to 7500RPMs.

You should use single-clutch (regular revmatched shifts) unless you have a good reason to double-clutch.

Thanks for the advice Astral... I shall start trying the single-clutch (regular revmatched shifts). One reason I double clutch is because I've heard one time that it's not good to have the clutch depressed while stepping on the gas. Is there any truth in that? Will there be any clutch damage while stepping on the gas pedal with clutch depressed?

What some was explaining to you when they said that was you shouldn't rest your foot on the clutch while driving and/or accelerating because it causes the clutch to slip. Some slippage is allowed when first changing into a gear (or starting out in 1st) but to allow the clutch to slip for an extended period usually burns out the clutch and you'll know it by the aweful smell.

Protege__Owner said:
Thanks for the advice Astral... I shall start trying the single-clutch (regular revmatched shifts). One reason I double clutch is because I've heard one time that it's not good to have the clutch depressed while stepping on the gas. Is there any truth in that? Will there be any clutch damage while stepping on the gas pedal with clutch depressed?
Exactly what chuyler said.

It's ok to step on the gas with clutch fully out -- normal driving.
It's ok to step on the gas with clutch fully in -- clutch not actually connected to the transmission, so there is no wear on it.
But if clutch is partially in, then you're slipping it, and you should not do that unnecessarily (e.g. if you're waiting on a light at an uphill, do not try to keep the car stationary by playing with gas and clutch (and with brakes out)).

Astral said:
Exactly what chuyler said.

It's ok to step on the gas with clutch fully out -- normal driving.
It's ok to step on the gas with clutch fully in -- clutch not actually connected to the transmission, so there is no wear on it.
But if clutch is partially in, then you're slipping it, and you should not do that unnecessarily (e.g. if you're waiting on a light at an uphill, do not try to keep the car stationary by playing with gas and clutch (and with brakes out)).

Thanks chuyler and astral for the follow up. Now let me get this straight, assuming I'm shifting from 3rd to 2nd... I should step on clutch, shift down to 2nd while simultaneously rev matching and then release clutch? So should I let go of the gas pedal as I'm letting out the clutch or do I just release the clutch while I'm still on the gas?

Back