How To: Custom Cold Air Intake

here are the pics from the install a coupel nights ago

/members/traitorhound/sri/picture_0865.jpg

/members/traitorhound/sri/picture_0866.jpg

/members/traitorhound/sri/picture_0867.jpg

/members/traitorhound/sri/picture_0868.jpg

/members/traitorhound/sri/picture_0869.jpg

the cai sucks from ebay.....i have the sri tho it works nice and as for the check engine light i believe you have to disconnect the negative side terminal from you battery for 10seconds.....correct me if im wrong it solved the problem on my cousins car

Installed my Ebay CAI today!

Just wanted to say that I installed a CAI today that I got from Ebay. It's polished red with blue couplers. I initially had some trouble with the filter wanting to bang up against the bumper frame on the inside of the wheel well. But after adjusting and re-adjusting I finally got it to fit. Took me about an hour. I had removed the neg side of the battery before I started and was pleased to see that in the end I had no CEL. I couldn't wait to get it out on the road. The first thing I noticed was the responsiveness to the throttle. It definitely had more pep. Once I got to 2nd gear I could hear the growl. Just enough to feel it, but not so loud that it was annoying. Once back in the garage, I was surprised to hear the hiss as I turned off the engine. Kinda cool.

All in all I'd say I'm pretty pleased with the overall results and definitely feel that my $50 was well spent. I'll post pics as soon as I take some.

By the way, thanks for the walkthroughs posted on here. With no instructions I was a little lost.

Hey, MyReDpR5, how did you get it to stop bumping up against the bumper inside inside the wheel well? In what way did you adjust it? I just put mine in today, and i'm having the same prob.

memo79 said:
Hey, MyReDpR5, how did you get it to stop bumping up against the bumper inside inside the wheel well? In what way did you adjust it? I just put mine in today, and i'm having the same prob.

I just loosened the clamps on all of the couplers until I was able to shift the intake pipes around a bit. I would move it a little and check the clearance on the filter, then when it was far enough away I tightened all of the clamps down.

So far, it is holding.

If anyone else has a better solution, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks

I just got my CAI (ebay) and i will be installing it tomorrow (June 22) hopefully all goes well and everything works right. Ill let you all know how it turns out and if it made a diffrence or not.

Attachments

• pulltoopen.gif
    pulltoopen.gif
    699.5 KB · Views: 309
Last edited:
eBay CAI installed

Here's a thumb of my intake i bought off of ebay from liveonspeed.

Attachments

• Cimg0568.jpg
    Cimg0568.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 954
memo79 said:
Here's a thumb of my intake i bought off of ebay from liveonspeed.

Looks good, that's the same one I got. (See website)

Interesting thing you did with the couplers, what is that, electrical tape? If it is, you better watch it, the heat from your engine may make it start to shrink or curl.

Did you get the filter to stop hitting the bumper supports?

Ebay CAI....where the hells it go?

when ur putting in the intake how do u get it around the coolant container? is there a way to move it?

MyReDpR5 said:
Looks good, that's the same one I got. (See website)

Interesting thing you did with the couplers, what is that, electrical tape? If it is, you better watch it, the heat from your engine may make it start to shrink or curl.

Did you get the filter to stop hitting the bumper supports?

yeah, the tape's already shrunk, so now i have blue and black striped couplers!!!! I bet nobody else has any of those!!!! As for the filter, it don't hit as long as i keep the rpm's up when releasing the clutch (you know how the engine vibrates sometimes when you let the clutch out too slow @ lower rpm's) as long as i don't do that it doesn't hit. but still, i'm gonna adjust it, cause i have to take the tape off, anyhow, so i'll adjust it then.
Hey, i've seen this on other posts, but i'll ask here anyways......
anyone notice with a CAI that your rpm's @ idle drop dramatically? my car idles at around 400 rpm's. it used to be 800 with the stock intake. anyone know why this is so?

Mizle said:
when ur putting in the intake how do u get it around the coolant container? is there a way to move it?

yeah, if you look @ the pic about 4 posts down, you'll notice the coolant reservoir has been moved from it's original position. all you have to do is remove the container, rotate the bracket 180 degrees, and bolt it into the hole closest to the wheel-well. the problem i had with this is that both the bracket AND hole are threaded, and this won't allow you to tighten down enough to keep the bracket from swinging around. so I took a metal strip with holes in it, and used it as a supplemental brace. you can see in the pic, also, it's the silver piece. once you've done that, the opening's free to receive the intake piping.

memo79 said:
Hey, i've seen this on other posts, but i'll ask here anyways......
anyone notice with a CAI that your rpm's @ idle drop dramatically? my car idles at around 400 rpm's. it used to be 800 with the stock intake. anyone know why this is so?

I didn't notice any different in my idle RPM, it has always idled around 800 and didn't change after installing the CAI. Did you disconnect your battery while installing the CAI. Even if you did, you may want to remove the neg side of the battery again for about 12 hours. That may help.

well today was a pretty bad day for intake installing. I went to put in my intake today and all was goin fine til i got to the air sensor. Never wouldve thought those screws were in there so tight. so yea i stripped them and now im kinda stuck. Anyone know of any good ways to get a stripped screw out? oh by the way, Memo79 thanks for the info on the coolant tank, but what did u do about that little steel bar (not sure that it is) that goes directly over the hole? did u just turn it or somethin?

MyReDpR5 said:
I didn't notice any different in my idle RPM, it has always idled around 800 and didn't change after installing the CAI. Did you disconnect your battery while installing the CAI. Even if you did, you may want to remove the neg side of the battery again for about 12 hours. That may help.

Ive read you just disconnect the neg batt cable and then turn your headlights on to drain the electrical system...

Back