How To: Clean the EGR without removing it

patsfan4life

:
1999 Mazda Protege LX
Here's a Quick and Easy way to clean your EGR valve without taking it off of the intake.

This is the stuff to use with our cars. Don't use carb and choke cleaner!

Unscrew the hose clamp and remove the intake from the throttle body, after loosening it should slide right off.

Look inside the throttle body, see that opening right infront of the throttle? That is the opening itno the EGR valve!

Put the red straw that came with the cleaner onto the nozzle so its more accurate. Put the end of the straw into the EGR opening and give it 3 or 4 quick sprays. Wait about 5 min and repeat. Put the intake back onto the throttle body, and then turn the car on. It may hesitate to turn over for a second but then it'll fire. When i did it the idle was a little crazy for a few min until the ecu could get a good reading now that the egr was operating. And thats it! It should run a lot better.

Last edited:
Carb and choke cleaner, from what i have heard, is not good for the injectors. Whether it poses a significant issue I dont know, I am just playing it safe and goign with what to use with the fuel delievery system for our cars.

ive swigged my finger into that hole before and grabbed out some build up...i was actually gonna rip the whole valve out monday or sunday.

the valve seems to stick more with my sri intake installed. is this possible?

This is a nice suggestion, but by doing it this way it is impossible to get the valve properly cleaned. Deposits will still remain on the valve stem. The only proper way to remove the deposits is by removing the valve, opening it up and using a wire brush tool attachment on a Dremel (or other simular rotary tool).

CrazyCaker said:
This is a nice suggestion, but by doing it this way it is impossible to get the valve properly cleaned. Deposits will still remain on the valve stem. The only proper way to remove the deposits is by removing the valve, opening it up and using a wire brush tool attachment on a Dremel (or other simular rotary tool).

How do you go about removing the valve? I need to do something to get rid of this CEL before I decide to order me a new valve if mine is faulty.

how bout i just cleaned mines today and forgot to attach the plug back in. however, the car ran, or idled fine w/o the CEL on. then it zapped me in the back of the head i had left it loose. maybe u cud try unplugging it and maybe that will help the CEL, but ion no, jus a suggestion.

as far as using brake part cleaner to clean it, it doesnt do much. its best to keep it dry and scrub it. a battery post cleaner fits perfectly, but whats important is cleaning the shaft and the actual vavle, which is shaped like a bell.

Last edited:
not having it attached didnt affect the engine performace or throw a CEL?? i wonder if removing it completely and just capping it off would be bad

not having it attached didnt affect the engine performace or throw a CEL?? i wonder if removing it completely and just capping it off would be bad

yeahhh. some have done it. eventually u get a CEL. it will probly make ur exhaust fumes stink? and give bad emissions. im finna search on EGR removal.

i only crunk it up. didnt drive it. but it seemed smooth. on second thought, i bet if i wud of revved, it would of popped on.

Last edited:
probably. emmisons i dont care about. i'll run a big block v8 with straight pipes for all i care. emmisions control is b.s. but when its intergrated in like the egr u really have no choice unless you can find an ecu without it programed in i guess?

red99pro said:
innter tube patch seal that sucker after u clean it. it is either leaking, or sticking.

I did the MAF gasket like you suggested I do and the hestitation has gone away a bit, but not the CEL.

Latest posts

Back