How-to: 3rd gen. DX/LX fog lights instalation

The reason my fogs wouldn't turn on was because I didn't have the relay, thanks for helping I would probably still be clueless why they didn't work

My car has been wired for aftermarket fogs for like 2 years now...
To solve the problem of the fog lights shutting off when the high beams are switched on, I decided it is best to use the aftermarket relay and wiring to my dash... us the Mazda Foglight harness and foglights, then splice the harness into my existing relay...
Where I run into a problem is trying to use the Factory switch... I used and ohm meter to test for the switch + and - but it doesn't seem to be working... does anyone know what pins do what on the factory switch??

Edit:
Figured out the pin outs... Got the Switch working with my Aftermarket Relay... the only thing that doesn't work is I have no dash light on the switch itself... Not sure how to make that work... but now I have Independant fogs on a Factory Switch :D

Last edited:
Couple of things:

The harness for the fog lights themselves is located on the right side of the Protege just behind the plastic splash guard. Take your steering wheel, turn the wheels all the way to the left, then go to the right wheel well and remove the fasteners holding the plastic to the right side of the bumper. You can then pull the plastic back and you'll see a single harness just sitting there with nothing plugged into it (follow the line where the bumper meets the fender then look UNDERNEATH that line...you'll see the harness). That's your fog light wiring. The fog light wire plugs into this, then, runs along the bottom inside of your bumper. I was able to install the main wire and fog lights without having to remove the bumper at all.

The relay was not installed from the factory....up underneath the dashboard just to the upper left of the brake/clutch pedal is a small silver metal plate as show in the photos here. The fog light relay harness is attached to the metal place. I pulled it off, install the relay into the harness, then slid the relay onto one of the metal prongs as shown.

harness.jpg

As far as the actual switch is concerned just pop off the left side of the dashboard CAREFULLY to avoid damaging the dashboard. In my case the switch harness was plugged into one of the blanks you'll be removing from the left center of the dashboard to install your switch. Unplug the harness, press from the inside out to remove the blank, install the harness on your switch, install the switch.

blankc.jpg

Last edited:
How much did everyone pay for the fog light kits? Found one on ebay for 140 but how much from the stealership?

How much did everyone pay for the fog light kits? Found one on ebay for 140 but how much from the stealership?
That's about how much I've paid for my set when I got them from an online mazda dealer back in the day... Only reason why I got the fog lights for that much (dirt cheap lol, comparing to what dealers charge), is because the dealer's website had a typo of the price tag and I placed an order for the fogs through their site. Immediately I, for some odd reason, called the dealer to confirm my online order (yea I'm that crazy and impatient) only to find out that the fog lights price is over $200.00 for a set........ I tell the guy that it's complete horse sh*t and that their website advertises the items for a substantially lower price and that I have already placed an order, and if they would insist on me paint a full price, I would cancel my order and complain. Thus, they let it go and let me have my fogs for that dirt cheap price.
So 2 days pass by or so and I decide to check the pricing of the fog lights at the same website and of course these guys have already fixed their mistake and corrected the pricing of the fog lights to whatever amount they wanted to charge in the 1st place. Just my 2 cents on how I got my good deal through a dealer's mistake.

if you have a 99 LX like your tagline suggests, make DAMN sure the kit is for the 99-00 protege. the 01+ fog light kit is completely different and will not fit the 99-00 bumper.

I have a 99 Protege LX and I just bought the lamps but the fog switch and the relay didn't come with it. Looking into what else I would need, I was wondering if it would matter which fog lamp switch to get because I was looking at the parts list and 2 different parts are listed. GE4T-66-4B0 (green illumination) $21 and D34-266-4B0 (amber illumination) $41. Of course I would rather get the cheaper one but when I inquired with the dealer they said that the GE4T wouldn't fit and I would have to go with the D34 instead. Is the fog light switch different and non interchangeable from the 99-00 than the 2001-2003 models? I would definitely appreciate the input as I would like to put my order in for these really soon. Thanks!

I got it on Amazon believe it or not. Im gonna try and install them tomorrow or so. they look like they are going to fit though.

if you have a 99 LX like your tagline suggests, make DAMN sure the kit is for the 99-00 protege. the 01+ fog light kit is completely different and will not fit the 99-00 bumper.

I went ahead and made the mistake and got the 01+ fog light from amazon since it said that it would fit the 99. Now I'm in the process of returning them and now on the hunt for the 99-00 replacement. anyone have the part numbers for these?

On amazon I've seen a right and a left for 99-00. They're seperate. And ones like 90 ones 120. No thanks that ain't worth it

Back