How To: 2.0 Header Installation

Lost the pictures a while ago from my host...

UPDATE, fixed the problem, reuploaded the collection. check the first page.

Last edited:
help?

everything worked perfect but when it came to the gasket ring, i got it off the old one and tried to put it on the new one and it was to big....... it didnt fit right and everything else did. is there another gasket ring i can buy that fits the new pipe at the same time fits to the connecting pipe? cause everytime i press on the gas, i kinda hear some air seepin through somewhere. guessing its the gasket ring. sorry im a big newbie when it comes to cars itself. help?

I am having problems doing this. I got all the bolts at the motor off no problem and first cat and EGR valve.

Problem is I can't get the second 02 sensor out or either spring bolts. I am tempted to get an angle grinder or something to cut out the spring bolts.

Also, what size is the second 02 sensor nut? The cresent wrench isn't workin too well, i'd rather have the proper size openend wrench.

Thanks in advance!!

The problem not getting out O2sensors ist quite common if they aren't inserted with some copper grease. The repair manual suggests to first cover its wires with some masking tape making sure nothing can penetrate there. Then spray it (on cold exhaust(pow)) with WD40 or stuff. Let it soak in then try your best with a matching wrench. They suggest a special tool equivalent to the one for brake fittings.

^ what he said - get an O2 socket and a breaker bar. mine popped right out with those.

02 socket? Unaware of such a thing. Hmm. looks like i'm going to the autoparts store today.

Now, to flippin get the springbolts off

My spring bolts were impossible without an airgun...do you have access to one? Remember that the actual studs stay on the midpipe...don't grind those!

02 socket? Unaware of such a thing. Hmm. looks like i'm going to the autoparts store today.

Now, to flippin get the springbolts off

The o2 socket has a "cut" down the middle of it. It is so that you can put the wires through there in order to get around the sensor itself. All auto stores have them. As far as the spring bolts, I used about a can of liquid wrench, but after that didn't work I had to use a mapp gas torch to heat the mother f*&ker off. Be VERY careful if you are using any type of flame under your car.

No access to an airgun w/o just having a shop do the swap. Ghey! Hmmm......

Alright, got the header on with only one casualty. I snapped off the driver's side headstud. All the bolts are good though. Gotta get it in a shop and have that fixed.

Sidenote, i've got what sounds like an exhaust leak. I can't really tell. Many say it's at the midpipe, but, I can't tell.

Also, header pushed down on the front of the exhaust pushing the rear end of the magnaflow into the bumper rattling it to death. Gotta pull down on the hangers when I can get out to work on the car again.

Here she is!
attachment.php

Thanks for the awsome writeup!! It was perfect!!!

when i put on the obx headers.. the bottom part does not line up with the stock exhaust pipe to the cat.. any suggestions on how to get this fixed.. its a really big exhaust leak now!! i need help real fast.. thanks guys

i did transfer the old o ring over the the new header.
but the new header doesnt want to go on flush with the cat or what ever it connects to..
the bottom of the new header is like pointing upwards towards the bottom of the car and not striaght to the existing pipe.. if that makes any sense lol not much of a mechanic as u can tell

Well the bolts are springs loaded and should keep tension on the pipes at all times. I know what ya mean but the rest of the exhaust is just sitting on hangers, it should be able to be moved to where you need to be able to tighten the springs all the way down. I just did my 2nd header install on another car today and everything went well with an exception for the egr piping which took some time to get on.

yeah i'll give that a try next time im in the shop.. right now i have to drive a honda cuz the exhaust leak is so bad LOL..

thanks a lot for the help

Sidenote, i've got what sounds like an exhaust leak. I can't really tell. Many say it's at the midpipe, but, I can't tell.

Did you swap the donut gasket or put on a whole new one? If you swapped, this could be the leak you are hearing...

I did my header swap, and, luckily, everything lined up perfectly. Midpipe and EGR.

I had the exhaust but wasn't sure where it was. ANyone think it was here??

2504573301_f7fd932c0d.jpg

I had picked up a new gasket there but it didn't quite do it's job. I just pulled the header again yesterday and swapped back to the OE exhaust gasket and i am proud to say, leak is gone!!

All done, please exscuse the busted header stud
2504616873_2c7e80e927.jpg

Last edited:
Is it an OBX header? How far off is it? Possible to snap a pic?

Did you first try to assemble the header to the exhaust first, then pry the header onto the head?

Back