How much would you say my MSP is worth?

I have a 2003.5 mazdaspeed protege yellow. I am only the second owner and the car has been well taken care of with synthetic oil and premium gas. I bought this car off of my uncle in 2009 and he bought it brand new from the dealer. It has no major defects or dents on the exterior or interior. No mods. It has 150,000 miles and runs absolutly perfect. I have also picked up some extra pieces from a local junkyard for "just in case parts" I have a transmission that is supposed to be bad, two front struts and springs with abs sensor. I winter set of racing harts (ok condition but not as good as the ones on it) driver side control arm. altanator and ac compressor. How much do you think I should ask for it. Kbb list a price, but I dont feel its accurate at all. I also realize the miliage seems high, but there has been no mods and the car has been well taken care of and never raced at a track or on the road. I appreicate you taking the time to respond.

You can ask whatever you'd like, but a majority of people buying will go off of what KBB says and tell you that you're too high unfortunately.

+1 my mp3 is worth around $4000 but ive seen them online with more miles than mine for 7 and 8k. you will never get what the car is really worth. just what its worth on paper.

What's scrap metal going for these days?

^Thats about right. I couldn't get s*** for mine when I got rid of it. I saw much nicer msps with less miles than mine going for very little amounts. Thats one of the big reasons I left the platform. My SI does have great resale value for some reason.

Nobody wants a slow car with worse reliability than a dsm

LOL thats true. But serisously, I've owned mine for 6 years now, never had any major issues, only small annoying s***, like sqeaks and rattles. I will be ordering a new WRX in a few months, but the MSP has served me well. I hope I can get at least $6k for it.

what are people thinking these cars are worth stock with under 100k? I've read many on here saying around $5k or lower?

If its in good shape depending on the area I'd say anywhere from 4-7

Also depends on the seller and buyer

I would never pay more than $5k for an MSP with over 100k. And even then it would have to be in damn good shape.

It is time to move on from owning mine, but...I'm very unsure of what to ask for it. It is not in the best shape, and I am not expecting to get much for it:

'03 Spicy Orange, ~160K miles

Bad
-Rust around the windshield (WTF???), but nowhere else on the body, and a small crack in the center of windshield
-Front seats and steering wheel are pretty beat up
-Stock non-MS Protege radio
-Rear corners of hood bent from PO doing something dumb
-Two cracks in exhaust manifold
-Not sure if from manifold or what, but feels like it has a boost leak. Injectors, coils, coilpack replaced very recently, haven't had time to track this down so far. I can hear boost building, but the car just doesn't really get up and go that hard.
-Swaybar bushing clunk
-Passenger side upper engine mount was replaced with whatever the aftermarket thing was from a few years ago, but broke, and was then welded back together by my brother
-1 or 2 of the wheels have been curbed
-Burns and/or leaks oil from somewhere.

Good
-Bought with a broken diff, replaced with new from the factory and had the rest of the trans rebuilt/freshened up while doing that (work done at dealer)
-Racing Beat swaybars and maybe springs (bought that way), shocks replaced ~3 years ago with Tokico Blues
-Some kind of BOV (this could be a good or bad) and hardpipes (bought that way)
-Front tires were replaced ~2 months ago (Kumho Ecsta ASX)
-Wastegate replaced ~2 years ago
-Battery replaced last year
-Just replaced exhaust with an '03.5 one that's in great shape
-Replaced radiator, water pump and some weird factory-only coolant hoses ~3 years ago
-Replaced timing belt ~3 weeks ago

The only ones I'm seeing on Craigslist in my area are one for $2750 with a blown motor and bunch of mods, and one for $12000 with a built motor and stuff.

Last edited:
Back