How much better is the "new" Mazda 5 over the old?

goacom

I am (or rather was) an owner of a 2006 Mazda 5, until I totaled it. I'm thinking of either getting a new 2012 or a used 2010. Not accounting for monetary differences, I wanted to get people's opinions on the two versions?
BTW, I can get a 2012 GT with the sunroof/audio package for just over $21K (not including tax). It is below invoice, but that may not mean anything. Is this a good price?
Thanks.

i dont think one is any better than the other, unless you prefer the looks of the 2010 over the 2012. (or vice-versa)

the 2012 does have the 2.5 engine, so better power.

It seems like the 09-10 models aren't selling for that much less than a new 12. It's generally not worth it if you are looking to trade in an older model but you are buying a car outright. Get the 12 if you can afford it, it is a nicer car in a lot of little ways and does have a better engine (even if it's just a little).

It seems like the 09-10 models aren't selling for that much less than a new 12. It's generally not worth it if you are looking to trade in an older model but you are buying a car outright. Get the 12 if you can afford it, it is a nicer car in a lot of little ways and does have a better engine (even if it's just a little).

Mazda was giving away the 2010s at 15K new. 3 of my friends bought them. I should have bought it then as I prefer the 2010 design over the 2012.

That said, when I was shopping this summer, all local 2010 with 20-40K miles were priced at 18-20K. Lots were previous rental. Given 2012s were the same price, made sense for me to buy new.

If you search for my name, you will see I posted a EXTENDED review of the 2012. Good luck.

I think. The 2012 GT is just a glorified GS. It is just a GS and they slapped side sills, rear spoiler, 17-inch alloy wheels, leather steering in them. The real GT should come with a sunroof. Just like the 2006 GT we have. Now they make it a part of luxury package. I think it is a wrong marketing decision. Maybe because they don't offer the NAVi anymore on the luxury package.. so they replaced the Navi option with the sunroof to go with the leather heated seats in the luxury bundle.

We don't use the sunroof that much. But the thought of MAZDA giving it away on the GT level, was one of the high point that pushed the MAZDA5 to the top of our list at that time.

Last edited:
Back