How many would upgrade to the 2017 CX5 if.....

Yeah, I get that dual-clutch is faster and so forth, I just enjoy the interactiveness of manually shifting. That said, I know this will likely be my last manual CUV. Maybe next time I'll pick up an Si or something for a fun commute. They only come with a manual.

Mirage 5mt

I agree with you.. I don't think adding the turbo would add that much to the price. An extra grand would not bother me for increased performance and slightly reduced MPG. I have been looking at the Subaru Forester 2.0XT and that vehicle is pretty quick but it doesn't look as nice as the Mazda and I don't think the handling would be as precise. Man there is "give and take" with every decision. If the CX5 had the option for the 2.5t and a better stereo, I would be 99% satisfied instead of 94%.

I don't need a manual to be connected. My cx5 is about as connected as I am when flying a cessna. I hear and feel everything coming through the road as I do through flight controls. The manumatic is more than adequate for hard launches, engine braking, staying a specific power band, downshifting to corner and wot shifting. It shifts faster too, particularly at wot with the tune. A clutch is just another expensive maintenence item. I actually prefer being able to 1st gear wot through a sharp corner ( ie from a stop)and being able to quickly slap the shifter into "d" to get second before I exit the corner ( hit fuel cut off or too high rpm and understeer) and get my hand back on the wheel.

Not really in market and generally averse to turbos but an increase of towing capacity to at least 3k lbs would certainly catch my attention.

More sound dampening and the new 2.5t in a GT with tech package, CP and AA for under 35k, count me in.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

I just test drove a 2017 Escape Titanium with the 2.0 turbo motor, and man...Mazda has some catching up to in terms of features. I'm still not sure which ride I prefer, but the Ford handled surprisingly well and the turn radius was exceptional. Extremely quiet cabin and much better sound system...like leagues better.

I just test drove a 2017 Escape Titanium with the 2.0 turbo motor, and man...Mazda has some catching up to in terms of features. I'm still not sure which ride I prefer, but the Ford handled surprisingly well and the turn radius was exceptional. Extremely quiet cabin and much better sound system...like leagues better.
Escape looks ugly. I don't want to look at a 30k piece of turd in my driveway.

Escape looks ugly. I don't want to look at a 30k piece of turd in my driveway.
I think European Ford designed Escape/Kuga is a good looking vehicle and I don't mind to own one if it offers a decent naturally-aspirated engine. In fact, it's the best selling compact CUV world wide for Ford in last several years! Many people would disgree with you as Ford sold three times more Escape's in the US than Mazda CX-5's last year alone! (boom03)

The primary reasons I got rid of my cx5 were a. My wife got an escalade so I didn't see the point of a small SUV and b. The more compelling reason was I missed having any semblance of torque/hp. Overall not a bad vehicle, but a better 0-60 would have kept me in it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The primary reasons I got rid of my cx5 were a. My wife got an escalade so I didn't see the point of a small SUV and b. The more compelling reason was I missed having any semblance of torque/hp. Overall not a bad vehicle, but a better 0-60 would have kept me in it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I hope you weren't one of the people asserting value in purchase in earlier discussions. (rofl)

Thing is, these aren't street racers, they're people haulers. Why spend all that money on a CX-5 when you're trying to get a BRZ?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Because our SUV is for Home Depot trips etc. I already have a car that can move people and has decent power so we always make sure we have a car and an SUV. Besides the CX5 already has great handling and steering so why not make it quicker? Since it's not my dally driver I notice how anemic it feels when merging into traffic at speed on the major highways I travel. Not the time to worry if you can make it or not!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think European Ford designed Escape/Kuga is a good looking vehicle and I don't mind to own one if it offers a decent naturally-aspirated engine. In fact, it's the best selling compact CUV world wide for Ford in last several years! Many people would disgree with you as Ford sold three times more Escape's in the US than Mazda CX-5's last year alone! (boom03)
Ford has 5 dealerships to 1 Mazda in US. (3100 Fords to 600 ish for Marhzda end of 2010)Again if sales matter then you should have bought a CR V or Rav4. First of all- Mazda cannot manufacture 200k + cars so lot of people rule it out since they don't have a dealer or they don't have cars.
Same is the case with cellphones Samsung and Apple are not the best but have significant marketing and good price+ features. Asus /Lenovo and OnePlus are more bang for buck.

Ford has a long history and loyal base in US so they will have strong sales plus they are able to discount cars more (not as much as gm or Chevy).

No upgrade for me. Plenty happy in our AWD SUV with 185hp and 30mpg...

There are more Ford Kugas than cats in our area in the UK. So glad my CX-5 is a little different.

EDIT: Also have you seen the dash in the Kuga. Yeuch!

I don't need a manual to be connected. My cx5 is about as connected as I am when flying a cessna. I hear and feel everything coming through the road as I do through flight controls. The manumatic is more than adequate for hard launches, engine braking, staying a specific power band, downshifting to corner and wot shifting. It shifts faster too, particularly at wot with the tune. A clutch is just another expensive maintenence item. I actually prefer being able to 1st gear wot through a sharp corner ( ie from a stop)and being able to quickly slap the shifter into "d" to get second before I exit the corner ( hit fuel cut off or too high rpm and understeer) and get my hand back on the wheel.

It also blew up your engine faster, LOL.

Its ok Chris, not everyone is able to drive stick, doesn't make you any less of a driver.

Ford has 5 dealerships to 1 Mazda in US. (3100 Fords to 600 ish for Marhzda end of 2010)Again if sales matter then you should have bought a CR V or Rav4. First of all- Mazda cannot manufacture 200k + cars so lot of people rule it out since they don't have a dealer or they don't have cars.
Same is the case with cellphones Samsung and Apple are not the best but have significant marketing and good price+ features. Asus /Lenovo and OnePlus are more bang for buck.

Ford has a long history and loyal base in US so they will have strong sales plus they are able to discount cars more (not as much as gm or Chevy).
Ford does have more dealers in the US that could help selling more Escape's here. But you still have to at least not hate the look like you do to get one, right? The three-time more sales on Escape simply means the design is not as bad as you feel, otherwise it's not going to sell. Chevy has even more dealerships around and why can they sell Equinox more? I also mentioned world wide sales on Kuga, where Ford may not have any advantage than Mazda in many countries, Kuga still outsells CX-5 in most areas like Ziggity in UK just said. :)

There are more Ford Kugas than cats in our area in the UK. So glad my CX-5 is a little different.

EDIT: Also have you seen the dash in the Kuga. Yeuch!

I hope you weren't one of the people asserting value in purchase in earlier discussions. (rofl)

Nope lol.

Wife wanted to be typical suburban mom and have third row/captains chairs.

The seats are way more comfortable on a 12 hr trip than the cx5 too.

Buuuuuut ridiculous gas guzzler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would trade in our 2016 GT for a turbocharged AWD CX-5, but only after a year or two of the turbo debuting on the CX-5. My main complaint with the CX-5 is average passing power. If the next CX-5 comes in with more horsepower and manages to hit 30 highway MPG, it would be a worthy upgrade I think. That or we'll upgrade to a CX-9 which my wife has been eyeing.

Latest posts

Back