How many would upgrade to the 2017 CX5 if.....

dgraham2038

Contributor
:
2016 Mazda CX 5 Grand Touring
just wondering how many people would upgrade if the new CX-5 has the turbo 4 with lets say 275 horses and a considerable torque bump??

Basically, like an SQ5 then?

In the UK mine is attractive because road tax is based on emissions and my diesel CX-5 is 30 per anum. Landrovers are about 500. I imagine the CX-5 would land somewhere in the 280 region with that extra power.

Also, fuel economy is a factor too and 45 miles to the gallon (UK) is quite nice.

I bought the CX-5 because it's the best car at a reasonable price and relatively cheap to run and maintain.

If I had the money to get and maintain a CX-5 with 275bhp, I'd have bought an Audi SQ5.

Cx5 was a dad car for me. Groceries, moving family around. In USA none of my cars will ever be under 30 mpg ones. Granted it's not as costly as UK but I want to keep my carbon footprint small.
Sound deadening and 10% more HP/torque are worth more than 275 HP.

I would consider the turbo when my 2014 Touring gets to ~ 7 years old or 80,000 miles and then only if I can buy cash. Ed

My wife enjoys her CX-5 and it wouldn't be a priority if this was even the case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sound Deadening + thicker glass + CarPlay/AA + a few more features to keep up with the competition would sell me instantly. Really don't care about the turbo motor, but if they could squeeze 10-15 more HP out the 2.5, I'd be more than happy with that

I wouldn't for more power. If I wanted power, I would of kept my Evo. I wanted the CX-5 to be a comfortable ride, not use premium gas, and get good gas mileage. Obviously that's not the case for everyone, but I love having a SUV that I can get up to 32MPG with AWD.

Yes i would buy one, i'm fed up of the diesel regenerating and using fuel to do it.

I only get a true 38 mpg UK and i've already decided to buy a high powered petrol turbo next time round. VW offer a 240ps turbo petrol with i believe 280 pound feet off torque.
You have to go for a high HP version to get the torque i need for towing my next caravan weighing 1636 kg.

Problem is the UK only gets the weedy 2L petrol only europe gets the NA 2.5L petrol, so i doubt we will ever see one in the UK.

Next time around though...is like to see HUD, Power rear hatch, real PDC, surround camera(360), google based Navi (satellite imagery)

Sound Deadening + thicker glass + CarPlay/AA + a few more features to keep up with the competition would sell me instantly. Really don't care about the turbo motor, but if they could squeeze 10-15 more HP out the 2.5, I'd be more than happy with that

10-15 more HP is already easily available,,,, with a OV tune...... I love mine!!

I am probably in the minority here, but I would chose power over gas mileage any day of the week. I will be in the market next year to buy another vehicle, if the 2018 CX5 has car play, is quieter, and has more hp and torque, I would consider another one.

I am probably in the minority here, but I would chose power over gas mileage any day of the week. I will be in the market next year to buy another vehicle, if the 2018 CX5 has car play, is quieter, and has more hp and torque, I would consider another one.

Thing is, these aren't street racers, they're people haulers. Why spend all that money on a CX-5 when you're trying to get a BRZ?

I bought the CX-5 because of the handling, utility, features and design you get @ $30k and under. If it has 275HP but costs me in the mid to upper $30's, then I would pass. There are a lot more options at that point.

I bought the CX-5 as it was available with a manual transmission. I would have preferred a higher trim level and the 2.5 with a manual.
I would jump on either the 2.5 or 2.5T if available with a manual.

Amazing how many forum comments on why one would want a manual in a CUV, yet there are lengthy multi-page discussions on Sport Mode, manumatic, and driving dynamics.
The CX-5 is fun enough to warrant a true manual.

Which is funny, I deliberately removed all manuals from my garage. Manual is really a relic of past that has been proven inferior to DCT. F1 hasn't had manual for years.

I bought the CX-5 as it was available with a manual transmission. I would have preferred a higher trim level and the 2.5 with a manual.

Amazing how many forum comments on why one would want a manual in a CUV, yet there are lengthy multi-page discussions on Sport Mode, manumatic, and driving dynamics.

I would prefer a manual. But this 6 spd seems pretty good for a auto. Seems like manual trans is too much work for most folks any more. That and most don't know how to drive one.

Last edited:
Problem with Manual is no friends or family might know how to drive. Which in emergency is bad. On long trips with friends.. you can't take a manual. Since you will be driving all the time.

My wife and I wouldn't mind to have a 6-speed manual on our 2.5L CX-5 GT with Tech. Unfortunately there's none like that and we just had to settle for a SkyActiv-Drive automatic transmission which is having the close feel of driving a manual. The amenities on a CX-5 Sport was too basic and we wanted more horsepower with a 2.5L.

We had a top-of-line 2001.5 VW Passat GLX V6 with a 5-speed manual. I was surprised to see how many people were interested to have this V6-manual configuration as there's none can be found nowadays!

We would upgrade to a 2nd-gen 2017 CX-5 not because it has a turbo engine, but because it features more amenities on or above par with most other competitors in the same class!

Which is funny, I deliberately removed all manuals from my garage. Manual is really a relic of past that has been proven inferior to DCT. F1 hasn't had manual for years.

Yeah, I get that dual-clutch is faster and so forth, I just enjoy the interactiveness of manually shifting. That said, I know this will likely be my last manual CUV. Maybe next time I'll pick up an Si or something for a fun commute. They only come with a manual.

Back