How many miles on empty warning light

hehe.
I can usually only get 215 miles per tank.
I have the fuel computer and can still keep driving when it says I have "0" miles until empty.
But when I fill up it says I can go almost 400 miles until empty. It is quite amusing.

hehe.
I can usually only get 215 miles per tank.
I have the fuel computer and can still keep driving when it says I have "0" miles until empty.
But when I fill up it says I can go almost 400 miles until empty. It is quite amusing.

215 miles per tank, total? Or even 215 miles for the light to come on? Wow, either way sounds like you have a heavy right foot.

I have gotten 428 miles on a tank of gas and 64 of it was after the light came on. I had a 2 gal gas tank in the rear just in case. Just wanted to see how far it would go! Summer Hwy driving, 68MPH average (cruise), had almost 1 gal left in tank at fill up. 31+ MPG!

I did this as well over the summer and was able to get almost 32mpg! I didn't run it down past the light though so I only went about 370 before filling up. Still nice to know I can get pretty good mpg on long trips. Lately with the cold and around-town driving I have been getting about 24-27mpg. During the summer I tend to get about 26-29 around-town. Less if I am having fun of course :)

Agreed, NEVER run it down to where the light comes on. Fuel pumps are cooled by the fuel itself, and it's a tremendous amount of labor and cost to replace them, I know the one in my Camaro was about 900 to replace and that was with bare minimum labor. It's not worth breaking down, waiting for the tow truck, and paying out the ass to not put a few bucks in the car.

The fuel pump on the MS3 isn't difficult. Certainly not worth $900.

I wonder how you guys are getting 300 miles out of your cars per tank. I average 240. I got 300 when I drove to TN though but it was all interstate travel with the cruise control on.

wow, that's pretty bad. I usually fill up between 11-12 gallons on empty... so 240 miles is only around 20 mpg... which blows for this car. You must have a serious lead foot...

The pump is cooled by the fuel. Repeated "run it on fumes" overheats and kills the pump. Like I said: been there, done that, to the tune of a $500 fuel pump in a Dodge van.

But cooling is done internally on most electric pumps. So overheating would occur only if the flow of fuel is interrupted which - at least in modern tanks - is less than a few ounces. In my experience low fuel levels in high mileage cars CAN contribute to overheating; but it's usually from excess floating debris that enters the fuel pump.

It's mostly a null argument anyway; we both agree it's better to run at moderate levels. :)

Last edited:
The pump is cooled by the fuel. Repeated "run it on fumes" overheats and kills the pump. Like I said: been there, done that, to the tune of a $500 fuel pump in a Dodge van.

Isn't the fuel pump on my 08 MS3 sitting right on the driver's side of the engine, up top, btween the valve cover and intake tube?

To answer OP there is about 2 gallons left when light comes on. So depending how you drive you could get 30-60 miles.

Back