How many miles did the OEM (factory) tires last on your CX-9?

Well, I've had the new Dueler 400's mounted for a week or so now. Final cost was exactly as quoted (971) including new innards for the tire pressure monitoring doohickey.

Of course I can also report that the new tires drive much smoother, quieter and feel better than the old ones. My new Duelers are much better than the identical OEM Duelers after 56,000 miles on them. Of course new tires feel different. Duh. The subjective nature of these internet site tire reports here and elsewhere really needs to be be driven home. Tirerack reports are simply crap. Any comparison of a worn tire to a new tire are also crap.

Bottom line for me: The Dueler 400s are just fine. Mazda optimized the suspension for these specific OEM tires and that is a pretty good reason to stick with them. I know some folks aren't getting good wear mileage out of them but as some of us are getting about 60,000 miles on a set, I'd say that driver variation and perhaps specific climate and road conditions have more to do with that than any weakness in the tire. I would also strongly recommend joining Costco and waiting for a Bridgestone sale (literally half the months are Bridgestone sale and the other half Michelin sales) before buying them. Costco includes a ?5year road hazard warranty too.

I'm at just under 60,000 miles. Still lots of tread left. At my last oil change, the 2 on the front rated 10/10 and the back rated 8/10. Rotated at every oil change (every 5000 miles). No realignments yet. But, 90% of my miles are highway, so no tight corners, few potholes, etc.

Just changed mine with 72k on it. if it was summer I would have driven them out but we were headed to Colorado and they were predicting snow, which we got, and I didn't want to push it.
I really do think it would have been 75k if I didn't chicken out.

I just changed to General HTS. 54k on the originals. They were ok. Dry traction was good but if I hit any patch of Ice I was sliding. So far the Generals are doing pretty well, they are a bit noisier then the O/E but stop in about 1/2 the amount of space on ice as the originals did.

i think we ended up replacing ours at 50k+ miles. they still had life in them. sold all four for $50 on craigslist to another cx-9 owner who was hard up and needed to get through the summer/fall.

I've got 64,000 on my OEM's and they've got satisfactory tread for driving when there's no snow or ice otherwise I'm exploring new tires soon.

~65,000 miles, and probably the only time they'll ever touch pavement again is this spring when I put them on and drive to Discount Tire to get replacements.

31,000 miles and 7-8/32 left. Should go 50k easily.
I cannot believe it but am at 73k and still going. Probably replace soon but not yet down to wear indicators. They have been rotated and balanced a few times during their life.

66,000 miles (could have stretched to 70,000). Replaced with Michelin Premier LTX ($800). Winter performance is great; dry/highway conditions are smooth and quiet.

My car has 65k miles, but last two winters I have switched over to snow tires so I'm guessing about 50-55k on the originals. They need to be replaced this spring.

56,000 on the OEMs on my 2010 CX-9 GT AWD. Based on remaining tread I could see 65,000+ but I'm going to replace them soon because of the tire age. I've been waiting to replace the originals with Michelin LTX tires but according to Michelin they haven't yet started manufacturing in the 245/50r20 size and have no date when they might begin. I'll likely replace them with the Bridgestone 422 when Costco has a Bridgetsone sale again.

We did the 275/45/20 on ours, I like the added footprint. I know it's not ideal for winter, but we have a dedicated winter setup.

We got about 62,000 miles out of our factory Bridgestones on our 2012 Grand Touring with 20's, but replaced with Michelins through Costco....I have never had Michelins and they were a bit more money ($200 - $240 for all 4) than the Bridgestone replacements would have been, but I must say I could tell a difference right away in even just the way they take bumps, and they were less noisy, too. Just a smoother ride all the way around. Unless we don't get the life out of these due to wear, I now understand why people praise Michelin so...The best analogy I could make is that it feels as if the vehicle now rides on 19 1/2" wheels instead of 20's....I know they don't make 19 1/2" wheels, I'm just saying I don't think it provides quite the cushion that riding on 19's would, but almost....We are fully expecting these to last us until we trade it in on the next vehicle or sell it outright somewhere over 100k in mileage. We now have about 70,000 on it.

About original equipment tires...the following is from an article written by a retired tire engineer.
http://www.barrystiretech.com/oetires.html

I do not want the highest mileage tire on the market. There are always trade offs. Think of a triangle with the three sides as tire life, tire traction, and rolling resistance. You cannot maximize all three. I want the best tire traction (especially wet traction) for safety. I want very low rolling resistance for low fuel consumption. I'm willing to give up some tread life to gain the other two. New developments in tread compounds and tire carcass construction increase the area in that triangle, so things get better. Even so, I do not want the best tread life at the expense of wet traction.

Tires get louder as they wear, more so if you have a bad alignment, so I never trust a review that says "quieter than my old tires". Of course they are. In many cases the tires the reviewer took off were down to the wear bars or worse.

Pretty much the only tire reviews I trust are those done in direct comparison such as the ones Tire Rack performs. They'll tell you which sounded quietest, which performed better in wet/dry, and which had the best handling characteristics. They can do this because they have reviewers jumping in the same car with different tires mounted back to back. They often find models that are good for one thing and bad for another which falls into PTguy's triangle of preference.

We did the 275/45/20 on ours, I like the added footprint. I know it's not ideal for winter, but we have a dedicated winter setup.

I think I may have seen your review of the Nexen tires online where you went with 275/45/20. I called tirebuyer.com and talked with the guy for awhile.
The 20" wheel is 7.5 width and the 275 tire is approved for 8.5 width or beyond, so that translates according to his opinion in possible uneven wear (dunno about that one).
Not sure I buy that, but we are moving soon to Pittsburgh so I'm more inclined to stay with 245 if for nothing else because there's a little more snow up there in the winter.
Although, the 9 stays in the garage most of the time except for long trips or going to Lowes for bags of dirt/mulch, etc.
I'm headed to the tire shop this afternoon to get their opinion on my tires. My tires are discontinued and close to the point of needing replacement, and I'm not sure I
want to pay for a 4 wheel alignment and roadforce balancing of current tires when I'd just have to do it again in the fall when I'd get new tires.
(clarification - wheels are balanced, not tires, but hunter roadforce balancer will choose the right tire for the right wheel and position of tire on rim so it technically sort of does balance the tires out).

I'm leaning toward the Nexen tires...may just get a set of steelies & winter tires once we move.

We know that tire wear depends on many factors. One not often considered is the abrasiveness of the aggregate used in the roads in local regions. Some is very abrasive--whatever the local gravel pit is selling that meets road construction specs...granite, limestone, quartzite, volcanic cinder, many others.

Back