How many Brits? Fancy a cuppa?

Worth having. I've done around 10,000 miles since March and iStop has turned the engine off for over 5 hours. Think how much fuel you'd use on idle for 5 hours.

I echo this. 13,000 miles since mid November 2013 and 8 hours 30 minutes of iStop use due to the ******** tramworks around Nottingham which have been going on for over 2 years now(unamused)

Jonno21

Folding Door Mirrors Frozen Shut

Hi all

Yesterday, when it was only 0 degrees C outside, my electric folding door mirrors wouldn't unfold even after I had squirted copious amounts of de-icer into the joint bit. They made a noise as though trying but didn't move. It was only after driving with them folded to our local Tesco which has the car parking in a slightly warmer area under the store that they defrosted enough to unfold. Surely they should work in temperatures way colder than this? What do they do in Canada for heaven's sake? All my previous cars with electrically foldable mirrors have worked whatever the weather. Any tips from other members? ( I know the obvious one is to leave them unfolded but we live in a semi detached house where the integral garages are adjacent to each other which makes the driveways narrow and then there's not enough room to wheel the wheeliebin on to the pavement unless the mirrors are in.)

Jonno21

Were you on the standard summer tyres?
How did you find the car handling in snow.

Standard Toyos yes. It seemed fine, although most of the time the weather wasn't too challenging. I didn't feel the AWD kick in, but whether it just didn't or it's very subtle I don't know. You could definitely feel it in my CRV.

I did have an entertaining little slide at one point on a sharp downhill corner in a residential street, going about 15-20mph, slid up the kerb before regaining traction.

Looks like the forecast this winter will give many of us the chance to test the CX5's capabilities...

Hi all

Yesterday, when it was only 0 degrees C outside, my electric folding door mirrors wouldn't unfold even after I had squirted copious amounts of de-icer into the joint bit. They made a noise as though trying but didn't move. It was only after driving with them folded to our local Tesco which has the car parking in a slightly warmer area under the store that they defrosted enough to unfold. Surely they should work in temperatures way colder than this? What do they do in Canada for heaven's sake? All my previous cars with electrically foldable mirrors have worked whatever the weather. Any tips from other members? ( I know the obvious one is to leave them unfolded but we live in a semi detached house where the integral garages are adjacent to each other which makes the driveways narrow and then there's not enough room to wheel the wheeliebin on to the pavement unless the mirrors are in.)

Jonno21

Haven't had that problem. Yet. Maybe worth a quick spray with some of that de-icer prevention stuff you can get for windscreens?

Standard Toyos yes. It seemed fine, although most of the time the weather wasn't too challenging. I didn't feel the AWD kick in, but whether it just didn't or it's very subtle I don't know. You could definitely feel it in my CRV.

I did have an entertaining little slide at one point on a sharp downhill corner in a residential street, going about 15-20mph, slid up the kerb before regaining traction.

Looks like the forecast this winter will give many of us the chance to test the CX5's capabilities...

Yes I've been very impressed with the standard tyres in this cold spell, its been in control at all times.
As yet not used it in snow.

Could it be worth using the front demist to heat the mirrors?
I'm not sure though if they work folded.

Hi all

Jonno21

I echo this. 13,000 miles since mid November 2013 and 8 hours 30 minutes of iStop use due to the ******** tramworks around Nottingham which have been going on for over 2 years now(unamused)

Jonno21

23,000 miles and just under 40 hours of I-stop. That's approx 20 hours a year. Perhaps we should start an istop hi-score thread? most i-stop seconds per mile. On second thoughts that would emphasise who's enjoying their cx-5 the least? :)

Car in dealers under warranty had recovery on Saturday got the news today that fault is the power ECU AKA Engine ECU
1567 for replacement. Total problems from new 3

Could it be worth using the front demist to heat the mirrors?
I'm not sure though if they work folded.

Hi Xtrailman.

Yes, I can confirm the demist does work when folded. The weird thing is it went through all last winter with no problems

Jonno21

Car in dealers under warranty had recovery on Saturday got the news today that fault is the power ECU AKA Engine ECU
1567 for replacement. Total problems from new 3

I once had a Nissan Primera that had a faulty ECU, I believe it was after the pdi when they jet washed the engine!!!

Do you have any idea why it failed?

UK southern based. Recent new CX5 sport nav owner.

First impressions in september were encouraging , first gripe is fuel mileage is good against our old car (mazda RX8 r3 ) but lousy against manufacturers set figures.

Also now cold mornings have kicked in, the inside of the windscreen is running with condensation. Requiring a good chamois leather most mornings. Never had this in any other car before.

First impressions in september were encouraging , first gripe is fuel mileage is good against our old car (mazda RX8 r3 ) but lousy against manufacturers set figures.

Also now cold mornings have kicked in, the inside of the windscreen is running with condensation. Requiring a good chamois leather most mornings. Never had this in any other car before.

Fuel economy does improve, but manufacturers figures - any manufacturers - are totally unrealistic.

Re condensation, have you had your air con switched off? This can mean humidity levels in the car are high. Can't say I've had this problem.

Nor I suggest you check under the carpets for a leak.
The originator of this thread got rid of his cx-5 due to a water leak. Its the only one I've read about but you could be number two.

As for the government figures forget them, they are criminal in that they are all bull sxht.
Go on the "whatcar real mpg " and check out the real figures.

I've found that the urban figure is about the best to expect on a run.
At present my computer shows 41mpg, when new before a oil change at service I was showing 43/44mpg, why its dropped I have no idea.

Copied this of an earlier post on main site, it might help.

air recirculation ON or OFF? It should be like in this picture:

Sometimes (during rain), if I choose second option (closed air circulation) windows do get foggy/wet. So it should always be set to open air circulation (unless you have some crappy car in front of you :) )

Cheers,
Miki

Fuel mileage I concur with others. The current EU figures are even less representative than those used previously. Typical figures seem to range from high 30s to low 50s though at this time of year mpg will fall due to the longer time it takes the engine to warm up and the fact that "winter" diesel is now being supplied by all the filling stations.

Yes, I periodically have condensation running down the inside of my windscreen. In very cold weather I have even had a thin coating of ice on the inside. I don't believe I have any water leaks but I do leave my golf clubs and equipment in the car almost continuously and they are often pretty damp. However I do coat the inside of my windscreen with Fog Clear periodically which definitely helps and reduces such instances and also greatly reduces misting up.

When my windows were misting up as described here is when I noticed my water leak. Check all footwells for damp or in my case pools of water when pressing on the carpet. It was bizarre. The water only showed at the rear of the footwells on the passenger side front and rear but parking on a slope would explain this. I would have expected to feel the carpet damp near to the front as well but it was bone dry.

Last edited:
Four to six inches of snow at Worksop and I've had to take the wife into Rotherham hospital today on the worst day for travelling, luckily the temperature is at 1 degree so not iced up everywhere.

I drove through virgin snow with out any problems in fact the rutted snow was the worst because it moved the car about, ABS operated once when turning left down hill into a side road on an inverse camber, really impressed with the car on summer tyres.

Normally the car wouldn't move out of the garage in this weather but I felt it was best to take her in than call 999. I'm hoping to get a call to collect her later, or it may be another stay in hospital. I will be buying winter tyres when these summers wear down hopefully.

Four to six inches of snow at Worksop and I've had to take the wife into Rotherham hospital today on the worst day for travelling, luckily the temperature is at 1 degree so not iced up everywhere.

I drove through virgin snow with out any problems in fact the rutted snow was the worst because it moved the car about, ABS operated once when turning left down hill into a side road on an inverse camber, really impressed with the car on summer tyres.

Normally the car wouldn't move out of the garage in this weather but I felt it was best to take her in than call 999. I'm hoping to get a call to collect her later, or it may be another stay in hospital. I will be buying winter tyres when these summers wear down hopefully.

My wife had to travel yesterday - bad blizzards. - cars off the road on the way and back. At one time she led the the way at 20 mph with two cars really close behind her (trying to push her along). She pulled into a lay-by to let them pass. She then followed them at 30 mph and quite soon the car in front of her spun right round and across to the other side of the road and started to come back down toward her. He slipped onto the verge. Later on the way home there was a hill and cars were sliding and nothing was moving up it - cars and vans were either stuck or reversing down. The police went along each car at the bottom on the hill telling them to turn around and not go any further. She and two other cars which had 4 wheel capability were told they could continue. She said the car never put a foot wrong which gave her great confidence and she got home at midnight completely drained. I was a bit concerned as the summer tyres only have 3 mm left on them.

8 inches fell last night, roads not cleared, only the autobahn cleared, drove 65mph along hard packed snow with any issue. switch the tcs off for some fun but forgot the esp wastes that! Normal day in a country that has these conditions so often, every car has winter tyres, you never see anybody stock, I go out to try a get stuck for fun and struggle! Wouldn't dream of driving around in 3mm summer tyres, if you didn't get in to difficulties then it's down to luck more than anything. My dad never dreamed of buying winter tyres, we were out last year in the scottish borders, car in front slowed to a stop on a gentle incline, we could get round him and couldn't get going again, I was digging the car out ( a few inches of snow) and eventually got going. He has michelin alpin 4 on his Focus now!

Back