How many Brits? Fancy a cuppa?

My car had its first service yesterday. They did as few basic checks, changed the oil and filter and checked for upgrades and upgraded the NAV. It was extra to have the wheels rotated and he said that not many had it done as the only benefit was more even wearing tyres and then they would all need changing together instead of just two, so in the end i didn't bother as i could always do it myself if i felt fronts were wearing particularly fast.

I have noticed that fuel consumption is better during warmer weather. I get around 35mpg in colder weather and around 38mpg in warmer weather.

That is because in summer your engine reaches optimum temperature and hence efficiency more quickly and in winter the diesel is dosed with pour point depressants to stop the fuel from waxing and blocking the fuel filter. This has the effect of reducing the calorific value of the fuel and hence it won't burn as efficiently per unit volume of fuel. I reckon on about 2 mpg between summer and winter so you are pretty much in line with expectations.

I have found it quite interesting reading the various reports on this forum regarding fuel consumption and thought I would just add my findings on the petrol engine.

My car is a 2.0L Sport Nav which I have had since May replacing a petrol SEL Nav. I have just returned from a holiday in the Dordogne in France and the car returned 42 mpg (actual) overall for 2000miles. I consider this a good figure for a new petrol engine considering it included long stints around 80mph on the autoroutes and comparable with the figures you guys report from your diesel CX5’s. I admit the petrol hasn’t the torque of the diesel which I miss but felt it wasn’t worth the extra money for my needs.

My previous CX5 returned similar figures and on one occasion over 150miles on clear Scottish Highland A roads it showed an indicated 51 mpg and I wasn’t particularly hanging about either.
Around home I get 38 mpg which includes commuting on the M60.

As you might gather I have no complaints about the fuel consumption and find it more than acceptable for the size of vehicle and was one of the main factors when buying the car.
Are there any more petrol CX5 owners on the forum, and what are your views?

Hi ScottBrook,

My dad's CX 5 is the petrol - on way to and from Oxford from Kent (over 100miles each way) on motorways he got a readoiut of 46.8mpg for the journey - that's with the engine just starting to be run in (139 miles total when reached Oxford) so he very pleased with the Petrol economy.

I'm hoping when I get my 2.2 diesel in a months time I can manage the same economy - sort of now wishing with those mpg's from petrol I had gone with Petrol instead of Diesel engine.

Regards

Alex

Did you try the reset button on the network page? The one that appeared after the TT soft wear update.
It was included after problems connecting to live services.

I haven't noticed this button - does it appear on the satnav screen, or on the PC after updating?

I spoke to my dealer yesterday and he told me that there is a (non-urgent) recall here in France in relation to the GPS/entertainment system. He didn't know exactly what it was, but I'll find out when I see him next week.

With regard to fuel consumption, my experience is similar to daveyhampton's. Over the last 3000 miles or so I've averaged 38/39 mpg, including long stints on French motorways at 80 mph. I do virtually no motoring in traffic, and don't use the car for short local trips.

The reset button is buried on the network page I believe, it was a result of the TT soft ware update to connect with LIVE services more reliably. I've only used it once, its been ok since.

If you have any problems finding it let me know and I will make a note of the pages to get to it, I can't remember with out the screen in front of me.

Change of topic ... been wondering what to use on my AWD Sport leather seats ... I have Autoglym leather balm, but am worried about it blocking up all the little holes in the main bolster and seat backs. Anyone else used Autoglym balm on their CX 5 or have other recommendations ? Thanks.

On the MPG topic, we are achieving 38 MPG (175 PS AWD Sport Nav Manual) on shortish local runs and some A-road. Longer runs without M-Way speeds we get up to 42 MPG, but if on M-Way speeds or above, it's difficult to keep above 38 MPG. Currently on 3000 miles, so hoping for some more loosening up to come.

I've used autoglym on two previous cars with leather, it does go into the perforations, but with care very little stays insight, apply to a cloth sparingly for the perforation areas.

As yet I haven't polished the CX-5.

The reset button is buried on the network page I believe, it was a result of the TT soft ware update to connect with LIVE services more reliably. I've only used it once, its been ok since.

If you have any problems finding it let me know and I will make a note of the pages to get to it, I can't remember with out the screen in front of me.

Hi xtrailman,

I can't locate the reset button. I now also have another problem - the device shows that my Live services subscription expired in January (when the initial 3-month free period ended), even though I renewed in May prior to a long journey. I've emailed TomTom support and hope they can sort it out as I have an 800 mile round trip coming up next week.

Has there been a recall in the UK in relation to the GPS/audio system?

Change of topic ... been wondering what to use on my AWD Sport leather seats ... I have Autoglym leather balm, but am worried about it blocking up all the little holes in the main bolster and seat backs. Anyone else used Autoglym balm on their CX 5 or have other recommendations ? Thanks.

On the MPG topic, we are achieving 38 MPG (175 PS AWD Sport Nav Manual) on shortish local runs and some A-road. Longer runs without M-Way speeds we get up to 42 MPG, but if on M-Way speeds or above, it's difficult to keep above 38 MPG. Currently on 3000 miles, so hoping for some more loosening up to come.

On various cars over the years I've used various leather products e.g. Autoglym, Jaguar hide (didn't have a Jag), Skoda etc. Most probably the best was the combination of Gliptone's Leather Cleaner followed by their Liquid Leather Conditioner. But not much in it.

Re. I have same model as yours (now done about 16K) and I always get between 43 and 46 mpg per tank full over varied driving conditions. In the early miles, it used to be about 41 mpg.

Thanks all for the feedback - I'll give the Autoglym a go (sparingly). As for MPG - I find the CX-5 really really struggles to stay above 40 MPG at 70 MPH or above... in fact, 65 MPH and above is when it seems to degrade badly. Aerodynamics probably the cause of this I guess.

Hi xtrailman,

I can't locate the reset button. I now also have another problem - the device shows that my Live services subscription expired in January (when the initial 3-month free period ended), even though I renewed in May prior to a long journey. I've emailed TomTom support and hope they can sort it out as I have an 800 mile round trip coming up next week.

Has there been a recall in the UK in relation to the GPS/audio system?

They is a recall to check if you have the correct memory card, should be 4gb, not 8gb.

To reset live services.

1/ press main screen and select settings.

2/ select status and information, my version number is 10.851, I believe this is the latest?

3/ select network located bottom LHS.

4/ press the "clear" button on the bottom LHS.

Hope this helps.

If you have paid the subscription phone TT while sat in the car they will guide you through it.

I need to back mine up to the laptop along with TT home just in case they mess mine up at service this month.

Many thanks for your help. Everything is now working again. I'm due to get the update next week, which I assume is just the SD card change you mentioned.

Does this make any difference to anything?

I believe if the card is changed you will lose all your favourites stored.

Back up to both TT home and your hard drive before taking the car in just in case.

My car was manufactured in iirc APR 13 and registered Jun 13 and Mine apparantly already had the correct card in it. They still did an update on the TT, although not sure what it was. When i got back in it i had to reconnect the bluetooth and set the live map to show again, but i have only done 1 map and camera update on my card since last October.

Tip of the day, don't fill your diesel CX5 with unleaded, they don't like it :(

got about 3 miles along the M27 and thought it was running a bit rough, after 4 miles it was doing a full kangaroo. thought to myself, it was running fine before I filled up - then I looked at the receipt, really didn't want to see UNLEADED on it - I'd driven it with about 47 litres of Petrol to about 5 litres of diesel in the tank.

Mazda can't look at it until Friday, hope I get away with just a fuel flush.

Tip of the day, don't fill your diesel CX5 with unleaded, they don't like it :(

got about 3 miles along the M27 and thought it was running a bit rough, after 4 miles it was doing a full kangaroo. thought to myself, it was running fine before I filled up - then I looked at the receipt, really didn't want to see UNLEADED on it - I'd driven it with about 47 litres of Petrol to about 5 litres of diesel in the tank.

Mazda can't look at it until Friday, hope I get away with just a fuel flush.

Done similar myself with a Passat. Fortunately (if that is the right word) I noticed it as I holstered the filler, so I didn't start the engine. Sadly had to pay for a full tank of petrol, then had to sit in the car on a busy forecourt for an hour (sat in the passenger seat, but still had funny looks from other drivers who pulled in behind me thinking the car would move soon) to await the rescue service who towed me to my dealership.

Hope all goes well for you, and do keep us updated.

Alex

Update on satnav problems. I've just got back from an 800-mile round trip, around 7 hours driving each way. On the outward journey I was running a bit late, so I'd been driving continuously for about 4 hours when the satnav crashed. I stopped, switched off the engine, removed & reinserted the card and it started working again but only for about 5 minutes. For the rest of the journey I kept trying to turn it back on while driving. Mostly it didn't respond, but 3 or 4 times it came on but crashed again minutes later.

When I reached my destination I didn't use the car for a couple of days, and when I set off on the return journey TomTom started and worked perfectly all the way back! The only difference was that I stopped a couple of times on the return, so didn't drive continuously for more than 2 to 3 hours. This makes me think that the problem perhaps has something do with the system overheating. It never happens on short trips (1-2 hours) but has now happened twice when driving non-stop for around 4 hours.

I'm visiting the dealer tomorrow for the update, do hopefully he'll be able to find a fix.

Interesting. We took a trip up to SW London last week, about 90 miles each way. On the way in, on a very busy Friday afternoon with accidents on the M4, long queues on the M25 etc the Live services worked fine until we got near the M25 when they stopped working altogether...no traffic, no speed cameras, no nothing....just when I needed it most. Tried doing the reset described above, signal strength of between 4 - 5 bars, said it was connected but absolutely nothing......except it was pretty hot, 27C.
Then again, Saturday afternoon on the return trip the services worked fine all the way home, and helped me avoid some significant jams especially around Hammersmith and Putney. No idea what was going on there.....

As an aside, have now covered over 10,000 miles and 280 miles into the current tank of fuel am averaging just over 48mpg despite the run to London where speeds varied between 80mph and dead stop so quite pleased with that.

Latest posts

Back