How many Brits? Fancy a cuppa?

Last edited:
Never thought of using a Mazda 6 wheel so will investigate that. I have been trawling the breakers yard sites and just waiting a response. Don’t think I will be getting Mazda OE stuff as it is way too expensive. I have good access to builder merchants so the foam is not a problem. That is correct the space saver is no good for towing
Thanks again

Yes, definitely a whiff of people being ripped off here for their spare wheels. We just ordered a Renault Captur for my wife, delivery late March. Cost of a 16" spare wheel as an approved option? 95 at which point ordering one became a no brainer. Yes OK a 17/19" wheel is going to cost more to manufacture etc. but not 200+ more.....

If I have one major gripe about Mazda it's the cost of their spares and servicing. Until they start competing with the Koreans and even other Japanese brands for the aftersales market space they are going to restrict their appeal and hence market share.

Well finally after 1 month of waiting I'm getting my car back today (Space saver included ;) ). I get the pleasure of driving it for another 4 weeks ish before I say goodbye. Lets hope the leak proves to be fixed. I still think 4 weeks is totally unacceptable to fix a fault of this nature. The dealer has been good as it's out of his hands really and was down to Mazda in Japan sourcing the part. I did have a courtesy car from the dealer but other than that Mazda offered nothing else. I have been out of pocket as I've had to buy fuel and I usually use my company fuel card but as it's only for use with the CX5 I couldn't use it. A little sweetener would have been nice from Mazda UK, Not even a letter of apology for the time it's taken. Maybe one will arrive next week. I won't hold my breath as that will probably have to come from Japan too!!

I've found Nissan CS to be very hard work in the past, useless to be honest.
And I'm a Nissan fan, having had 4.

Usually you don't have contact with them as the cars are usually reliable.

Its too early for me to comment on Mazda, but their one to one dealing I've had with the LIVE services was very impressive, but I was dealing with a chap who actually has a brain.

When I was considering a CRV I spoke to their CS and found the lack of knowledge on a dedicated help line appalling!

Took some measurements today and it looks as though the full size wheel is too big for the boot space.
Has anyone actually fitted one in or have you just gone for the space saver.

I'm driving round with a full alloy wheel, with the tools in the poly surround, as per my previous post.

If you want a picture there is one on site somewhere.

I have the car back now and as it's not raining so I can't comment if the leak has been fixed. Some points to note though. When I said to the guy in the dealer I have come to pick up my car, his response of "Do we know about it?" was unbelievable! It wasn't the guy who I had been dealing with but my answer of "Well you should do, you've had it for four weeks and it's been parked in your service area (as I pointed to where) should have spoke volumes! They weren't aware of it being ready and that I was coming in to collect. They didn't even know about it and what was wrong with it and even if it was fixed or not! I had to tell them the whole story and that I had been informed it was ready to collect.

When I handed over the car to them I thoroughly cleaned the inside of the car. Carpets and everything to "showroom" condition. When I got it back there were fingerprints all over the dash (loads of them) and the inside of the windscreen had obviously been wiped with somebodies hand to remove condensation (messy). After having it for 4 weeks I expected it back in the same clean condition I gave it to them in which it wasn't. I think it had been washed, well I say washed but I mean hosed down, One of these eastern European 5 jobs would have done a much better job. 4 WEEKS! come on guys it should have been spotless!

After getting home and restoring it to how it should have been handed back to me I'm happy to see it on my drive again. If it still leaks I'll be parking it on the flat until it goes in 4 weeks time! I can't handle another Mammoth Mazda wait!

I have the car back now and as it's not raining so I can't comment if the leak has been fixed. Some points to note though. When I said to the guy in the dealer I have come to pick up my car, his response of "Do we know about it?" was unbelievable! It wasn't the guy who I had been dealing with but my answer of "Well you should do, you've had it for four weeks and it's been parked in your service area (as I pointed to where) should have spoke volumes! They weren't aware of it being ready and that I was coming in to collect. They didn't even know about it and what was wrong with it and even if it was fixed or not! I had to tell them the whole story and that I had been informed it was ready to collect.

When I handed over the car to them I thoroughly cleaned the inside of the car. Carpets and everything to "showroom" condition. When I got it back there were fingerprints all over the dash (loads of them) and the inside of the windscreen had obviously been wiped with somebodies hand to remove condensation (messy). After having it for 4 weeks I expected it back in the same clean condition I gave it to them in which it wasn't. I think it had been washed, well I say washed but I mean hosed down, One of these eastern European 5 jobs would have done a much better job. 4 WEEKS! come on guys it should have been spotless!

After getting home and restoring it to how it should have been handed back to me I'm happy to see it on my drive again. If it still leaks I'll be parking it on the flat until it goes in 4 weeks time! I can't handle another Mammoth Mazda wait!

Almost reminds me of the time some years back when having taken delivery of a brand new top of the range Vauxhall Cavalier I discovered numerous paint defects in various areas of the car. Suffice to say that after some discussion it was agreed that the car should be completely resprayed and back it went to the local dealer's paint shop. Imagine first,my horror on its' return at discovering they had painted over the dead insects that happened to be stuck to the bonnet when it went back (mid summer) and then imagine the conversation that followed with both Vauxhall and the dealer when I took it back. I think the paint technician actually lost his job over the whole farce.

Time for a call to Mazda corporate HQ methinks to make a complaint about the dealer.

I feel for you, I really do. If I were in your shoes I would complain to the dealer principal, Mazda UK (even though they are useless) and the motoring press. I've had issues with my car and my local dealer and Mazda UK, Whatcar? and Autoexpress will be getting a call from me.

Actually, that will make it worse (larger diameter will mean more distance per revolution, thus higher actual speed). You would need to reduce the diameter of the tires to match.

Yes so when the speedo says now 30mph, the car is travelling at 27mph. With the large diameter, the gap of 3mph should be reduced. Hence more accurate.

Three reasons not to fit wider tyres, more side spray which is already quite bad.
And the insurance needs to be notified, its a modification.

And reduced economy due to heavier wheels, may also affect handling?

My last car only had 215 wide tyres on and was fine, also very little side spray and good in snow, cheap too at 130 for Dunlop sp20.
cheaper versions at 80.

Insurance company will not care and won't ever know. Have you ever known one to check the specific width of a tyre? Who mentioned wheels? We're discussing a tyre that is 1cm wider and slightly taller that OEM. Michelin make some the of most the most high performance road tyres that are also the lightest in the market. Their tyre may well be far lighter than the OEM Toyo Proxes. It's hardly likely the average CX-5 owner will notice any difference on handling. It's not a sport cars being driven at the limit around a track:)

Last edited:
Insurance company will not care and won't ever know. Have you ever known one to check the specific width of a tyre? Who mentioned wheels? We're discussing a tyre that is 1cm wider and slightly taller that OEM. Michelin make some the of most the most high performance road tyres that are also the lightest in the market. Their tyre may well be far lighter than the OEM Toyo Proxes. It's hardly likely the average CX-5 owner will notice any difference on handling. It's not a sport cars being driven at the limit around a track:)

You put on whatever makes you happy old love.

Actually, I disagree. It will depend upon the insurance company.

All being well the insurance company won't ever know/notice but if you have to make a claim requiring an insurance assessor to view the car it's one if the first things they will look at since as we all know these b*****s will look for any excuse to deny a claim. I have heard of some companies rejecting claims on the basis that they hadn't been informed that the car was fitted with winter tyres (even though they were of the same size).

All being well the insurance company won't ever know/notice but if you have to make a claim requiring an insurance assessor to view the car it's one if the first things they will look at since as we all know these b*****s will look for any excuse to deny a claim. I have heard of some companies rejecting claims on the basis that they hadn't been informed that the car was fitted with winter tyres (even though they were of the same size).

Whilst it's true, some insurance companies would try anything not to pay out, I think any court (if it had to get that far) would apply what is fair and reasonable. I read a lot of bullsh** on forums about 'I heard...' or 'a friend of a friend' type evidence (not implying yours is) but I do not recall ever reading a post from someone with genuine 1st hand experience of an insurance company not paying out because slightly wider tyres were used or winter tyres were on. I am aware from reading the motoring press that some insurance companies were being foolish when initially rejecting claims on winter tyres for example due to lack of understanding. I recently had an insurance assessor round and he spend all of 30 seconds inspecting, well looking at my car.

Non-disclosure of modifications

A driver took out insurance declaring there were no modifications to his vehicle and later was involved in an accident.

The accident was not his fault, but when he reported it to his insurer, it was discovered that the car had extensive modifications including alloy wheels, sports exhaust, air filter induction kit, and suspension brace kit. The engine was modified and the bonnet had hinges fitted so it was raised at the rear.

All these changes meant his Citroen Saxo Furio 1400cc car had been transformed from its original spec to a high performance sports car. If the insurers had known this when the policy was first taken out they would not have offered cover.

They therefore declared the policy void and refused to deal with the claim.

Even though the accident was not his fault, the driver was left with the full cost of repairs to his car, including damage to the expensive enhancements.

As with the previous example, the policyholder must tell any future insurers that he has had a policy declared void meaning possible refusal of cover or much higher premiums.

Total cost to policyholder: 5,000 (plus higher future premiums)

Extract from this link.

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advic...nomy-with-the-truth-costs-drivers-dearly.html

Not that I need any yet - but just had a browse to check tyre prices.
I'm on the standard 19's, and can't find any 225/55/19 tyres in stock anywhere (not tried Mazda dealer).
Anyone had issues replacing a damaged tyre, or done enough miles to replace a set yet?

www.asdatyres.co.uk Maxtrek Sierra S6 225/55/19 for 99 each fully fitted (at my local Halfords Autocenter)! Had these to replace my Toyos when they were completely worn out!

This is nonsense! I have several reasons why. Firstly the insurance assessors turn up suited and booted and usually end up in some grimy salvage yard and they do not want to get dirty or down on their knees looking at minor details.

Secondly I had a Peugeot 106 Rallye as my 2nd car back in the late 90's and I had several modifications on it including a full magnex exhaust system, induction kit etc etc. The car died one day on the A14 and when I pulled over and got out the engine bay was in flames. The car was a total loss and was taken to a salvage yard awaiting assessment. The assessor didnt notice the exhaust or any of the other mods. Once he had been to inspect the salvage merchant stripped the exhaust off and dropped it back round my house and I sold it on! I got a full payout from the insurance.

This is nonsense! I have several reasons why. Firstly the insurance assessors turn up suited and booted and usually end up in some grimy salvage yard and they do not want to get dirty or down on their knees looking at minor details.

Secondly I had a Peugeot 106 Rallye as my 2nd car back in the late 90's and I had several modifications on it including a full magnex exhaust system, induction kit etc etc. The car died one day on the A14 and when I pulled over and got out the engine bay was in flames. The car was a total loss and was taken to a salvage yard awaiting assessment. The assessor didnt notice the exhaust or any of the other mods. Once he had been to inspect the salvage merchant stripped the exhaust off and dropped it back round my house and I sold it on! I got a full payout from the insurance.

Well Daveyboy, we are all entitled to our opinions. I found some of your early posts about expectations for your "fully loaded" new car and the fact it was to be a facelifted model highly amusing.

Me, I wouldn't take the risk but then I guess I'm a little older than you and been around a bit longer but hey, it's a free world and we are all entitled to our differing opinions so go with whatever you feel comfortable with.

Well Daveyboy, we are all entitled to our opinions. I found some of your early posts about expectations for your "fully loaded" new car and the fact it was to be a facelifted model highly amusing.

Me, I wouldn't take the risk but then I guess I'm a little older than you and been around a bit longer but hey, it's a free world and we are all entitled to our differing opinions so go with whatever you feel comfortable with.

I'm with you on this one Perusal - and anybody else who thinks it's just not worth it to try and con Insurance Assessors. There is too much at stake to try and be a smarta***.

Back