How many Brits? Fancy a cuppa?

I see Top Gear magazine have started running a CX-5 in their long term test fleet (2.2D 175PS AWD). Will be interesting to see what they think over time.

Whatcar have just parted with theirs, only problem I remember was a back seat rattle that never got sorted.

Auto express only run one, they have three updates on it.

I'm glad to see the back of roof bars, my last car was a 2008 Saab 9-3 and the first estate I've owned without.

Get in the way for cleaning the roof, and if black you need to go over with a blackener as you invariably cover them with body polish.

Roof on this one is high enough without the added encumbrance of roof bars.

Personal preference.

I like them. They are useful to me as it allows quicker fitting of my roof box or roof bike carriers. The problem is that they're not available at all on the UK model. This is not good form by Mazda UK.

D

The rails should be a option, its suppose to be a SUV.

As should a panoramic sun roof.

Personal preference.

I like them. They are useful to me as it allows quicker fitting of my roof box or roof bike carriers. The problem is that they're not available at all on the UK model. This is not good form by Mazda UK.

D

And i like the look of them , was disappointed to find out not available in UK

I'm surprised they are not even offered in the UK.

But I would never option a vehicle with roof rails primarily for the "look". Roof rails (especially when fitted with cross bars) add a considerable amount of drag. More than one might think. It affects the fuel economy in a very noticeable way.

I'm appalled with the number of people here in the U.S. who drive everywhere (even on long freeway trips) with their empty racks installed even though they only use them 5 or 10 times a year. And these are generally the same people who b**** and moan about how expensive gas is. Go figure!

I'm surprised they are not even offered in the UK.

But I would never option a vehicle with roof rails primarily for the "look". Roof rails (especially when fitted with cross bars) add a considerable amount of drag. More than one might think. It affects the fuel economy in a very noticeable way.

I'm appalled with the number of people here in the U.S. who drive everywhere (even on long freeway trips) with their empty racks installed even though they only use them 5 or 10 times a year. And these are generally the same people who b**** and moan about how expensive gas is. Go figure!

I agree! my old kia carens (rondo to those in us/canada) had them fitted WITH cross bars. what a PITA when it came to washing the roof. The cross bars were slide adjustable but once they jammed I got the dealer to take them off rather than fix under the 5yr warranty. However the mazda rails are one of the best looking rails I've seen.

Having just bought a disappointing ford c-max, with sluggish response, turbo lag, irritating ford sync etc, I'm seriously thinking of cutting my losses and switching to cx-5 at some point. I'd test driven both and only went for the c-max because of the discount offered and the fact that its a little smaller and easier to get on the drive. The Mazda I'd look at swapping it for is the 2.2 150 BHp diesel manual 2wd.Possibly with nav.

I have a couple of questions if anyone out there would be happy to share their experience:

- TomTom sat nav : is the lock on changing selections when moving just a US thing or do we have the same issue in the UK? Any other issues with it?
- iPhone/iPod integration - clearly I'll lose my (pretty useless) fordsync voice control, but the I-drive like controller looks like navigation around playlists, artists etc, should be pretty easy. Does it remember the track last played when restarting or does the Uk model suffer the same issues as the US model? Any other views on what it can or cannot do with USB and phone functions. This is an important aspect to me as the ford sync has been driving me mad.
-I've no doubt this car is faster and at least as economical as mine. I love the Ford refinement and steering ( only good things really). Any comments on refinement?
- Side pockets -possible to store a drink in them?
- Oil level issue : has this been resolved
- rattles from boot/dash - resolved?
- lack of a dab radio and a panoramic roof seems surprising for this sort of car...
- current delivery times as I know there's been massive backlog.
- Any tips on where to buy? Discounts seem non-existent..

Might think of some more, but for now, any replies gratefully received!

Chris

- TomTom sat nav : is the lock on changing selections when moving just a US thing or do we have the same issue in the UK? Any other issues with it?
- iPhone/iPod integration - clearly I'll lose my (pretty useless) fordsync voice control, but the I-drive like controller looks like navigation around playlists, artists etc, should be pretty easy. Does it remember the track last played when restarting or does the Uk model suffer the same issues as the US model? Any other views on what it can or cannot do with USB and phone functions. This is an important aspect to me as the ford sync has been driving me mad.

Can't comment on these as I didn't get Sat Nav option and I don't have any Apple kit any more.

-I've no doubt this car is faster and at least as economical as mine. I love the Ford refinement and steering ( only good things really). Any comments on refinement?
Refinement is good. I don't notice road or wind noise like some others have reported. (Perhaps I drive slower?) The lower profile tyres on mine also don't present a harsh ride as I've read in some of the press. (I think they sometimes write what they think they should have written rather that what they actually noticed).

Yup - not a huge one, but a drink definitely fit in there.

Can't advise; not had an oil level issue, nor any sqeaks & rattles, but I've only driven 1500miles so far.

- lack of a dab radio and a panoramic roof seems surprising for this sort of car...

Couldn't agree more. Contact Mazda UK customer feedback. I have. Can't hurt can it?

Mine took 12 weeks to arrive after ordering.

Loving the car so far. Good luck with discount & ordering.

D

I have a couple of questions if anyone out there would be happy to share their experience:

US spec. OK for us brits

Resumes where you left off, meaning wherever you are on the I-Pod

Don't know, haven't tried.

Being "beta tested" by users who have had the modification. If they haven't sorted it yet, no doubt they will provided they recognise there is an issue.

Haven't experienced those issues.

- Any tips on where to buy? Discounts seem non-existent..

Chris

Not bothered about Dab radio, might take years to happen. Haven't had a car with a sun-roof for years, don't miss them.

Delivery is a joke, there are some ex-demos on dealers forecourts now, but mainly petrol, so would be the best way to get a realistic price.

The Xtrail panoramic sunroof has a proper pull over cover, so actually loses little heat, nor does it allow any heat inside.

We like it because it allows lots of light inside, and keeps our grand son entertained as he likes to look at the sky.
Also on a cool day the roof can allow the sun in to give a green house effect.

I don't know but there could be a weigh increase, along with cost.

True - always forget about the sun roof. I don't go for them as they let too much heat both in and out for my liking. But they should certainly be an option.

D

Fellow brit here, just ordered my CX5 Sport Nav Auto 2.2D AWD for my new company car.

Love the big spec but cant believe there was no DAB option, gutted. Would have liked a sunroof too but not the end of the world. Strange that they don't offer these things as options? quite puzzling really. I've had a string of Audi's previously where you can spend as much on the options as you can on the car.

For the DAB, I've had a look at the Pure Highway 300DI and the Alpine version but really want something built in without cluttering my new dash (and without the need for an extra external aerial; there's a good piece of kit called AutoDAB but doesn't yet support the CX5 :(

My local dealer only had the 2wd SEL in stock to demo so didnt get to try the big wheels or AWD system but hoping they don't firm up the ride too much. After an S-line Audi A3 it would have to be pretty firm for me to notice it; the Audi will rattle your fillings out on a bumpy road!

Glad to see lots of fellow brits on here. Looking forward to the CX5 (Mid Sept delivery)

I don't know but there could be a weigh increase, along with cost.

Yes, a sunroof adds a considerable weight increase (and the extra weight is located in the worst possible place, up high). Sunroofs can also become a problem as the vehicle nears it's end of life. I saw a ten year old car yesterday that had the perimeter of it's sunroof sealed with duct tape.

Here in the US we have the opposite problem - CX-5 buyers are forced to take the sunroof unless they order a stripped version. I would have paid extra to delete the sunroof but this was not possible.

Thanks for the replies, chaps, very reassuring. If anyone has any further detail on how the media unit interacts with iPod/phone, or Tom Tom functionality, that would be great.

Chris

Fellow brit here, just ordered my CX5 Sport Nav Auto 2.2D AWD for my new company car.

Love the big spec but cant believe there was no DAB option, gutted. Would have liked a sunroof too but not the end of the world. Strange that they don't offer these things as options? quite puzzling really. I've had a string of Audi's previously where you can spend as much on the options as you can on the car.

For the DAB, I've had a look at the Pure Highway 300DI and the Alpine version but really want something built in without cluttering my new dash (and without the need for an extra external aerial; there's a good piece of kit called AutoDAB but doesn't yet support the CX5 :(

My local dealer only had the 2wd SEL in stock to demo so didnt get to try the big wheels or AWD system but hoping they don't firm up the ride too much. After an S-line Audi A3 it would have to be pretty firm for me to notice it; the Audi will rattle your fillings out on a bumpy road!

Glad to see lots of fellow brits on here. Looking forward to the CX5 (Mid Sept delivery)

I've driven both, the 19" wheels are still /55 profile which isnt as bad as they could be. The ride is firmer with 19's I thought a little more 'jiggly' than on my 17's with /65 profile. 18's with /60 would be the sweet spot IMHO.

you'll enjoy it whatever model you have, plus by September you'll have forgotten what the ride on 17's was like :)

Thanks for the replies, chaps, very reassuring. If anyone has any further detail on how the media unit interacts with iPod/phone, or Tom Tom functionality, that would be great.

Chris

Some people, me included, have had problems with the TomTom Live services. My car is nearly 1 year old and it still doesn't work. Many bits replaced and now Mazda Europe has taken over trying to find out what's wrong. Otherwise, very pleased with the car.

Chris, I ordered mine at the start of May and it is due in on the 29th July (i hope!!). Probably ended up paying more or less list price but got the spare wheel, towbar, mats & mud flaps all in. Probably should have pushed them harder but it was the first time I've ever bought a car so they probably saw me coming. Plus its the only mazda dealer for 40-50 miles so didn't have too much choice.

Back