How many Brits? Fancy a cuppa?

Hi, Are you still getting the 44MPG? I have just bought the exact same model and I was told it will avaerage about 38MPG . The computer is said to read about 10% too good. Are you brimming the tank and doing the calculation thing to work out your MPG? My Santa Fe always read about 35MPG on the computer but the real world consumption was 30MPG. Not too bad for a very large SUV.

It's taken a dip over the winter but starting to increase again now. My fuelly says 42.5mpg over the last 50 fuel-ups. Just done 48mpg on my last tank.
I brim it every fill up. The average mpg reading on the dash is generally 1 to 2 mpg more than what my fuelly says.

My latest trip to the dealer has been somewhat fruitless so far. It seems it requires a software update to solve the rising oil level and occasional blue/black smoke from the exhaust but it wasn't available at the time the car was in the garage. The rear suspension had been groaning in certain circumstances so they have lubricated that and the rattling dashboard - is no worse than others so I have to put up with it!

So. Picked up my CX-5 today. Told the wife that we were just signing papers today and that we couldn't get the car for another 3 days. Her face was a picture when I handed her the keys.

Rear sunblinds are a must for the little one. They make a big difference too.

Not had time to notice any problems with it yet (if there are any). We didn't go for the Nav option as we both have Android phones and Google Maps is more than good enough. Shame the car doesn't sync to Android phones via USB though. Bluetooth is OK, but dashboard screen could have so much richer interface via USB connection.

Father-in-law (quite into his cars) likes it a lot already. Mother-in-law wants one to replace her 2007 Mazda 6.

Only reason I'm not out driving around in it right now is that my wife is out for the night with her baby group, so all the dads are in.

Cheers

D

Braw! Hope you enjoy the new toy.

See you went for white, good choice! I am loving the colour so far.

Last edited:
One question: I thought I got DRL's with my package, but nothing on the front of the car looks like the DRL Accessory on the Mazda website. What gives?

I suppose I *do* have DRL's as the lights inside the headlights are on during normal running. But I was under the impression that the DRL's on the Sport were the LED ones down on the bumper. Is this option a different accessory, or have they changed their definition of DRL's and just not updated the Accessories page?

Cheers

D

One question: I thought I got DRL's with my package, but nothing on the front of the car looks like the DRL Accessory on the Mazda website. What gives?

I suppose I *do* have DRL's as the lights inside the headlights are on during normal running. But I was under the impression that the DRL's on the Sport were the LED ones down on the bumper. Is this option a different accessory, or have they changed their definition of DRL's and just not updated the Accessories page?

Cheers

D

The standard DRL's are located adjacent the headlight and are on all the time when driving, when you put the handbrake on the DRL's turn off.... The ones which are a line on lights adjacent the front fogs are optional extras.

The standard DRL's are located adjacent the headlight and are on all the time when driving, when you put the handbrake on the DRL's turn off.... The ones which are a line on lights adjacent the front fogs are optional extras.

Thanks Geoff,

I'd been coming to the same conclusion this morning. Shame though, as I was expecting the LED strip on my car. Thought it was one of the external physical differentiators between the Sport and SE models. Guess I'll have to sneakily book them and get them fitted when the wife doesn't know!

D

Not sure but you may be able to replace the standard bulb with a LED type.

Some of the US versions can to what I've read, not sure about the UK, I think Mazda have been a bit mean not supplying leds, standard on the crv.

My xtrail also came with mats and flaps, a sunroof and a boot light, and full size spare.
Along with a DVD satnav that works.

All extras on the CX-5.

My xtrail also came with mats and flaps, a sunroof and a boot light, and full size spare.
Along with a DVD satnav that works.

All extras on the CX-5.

I got mats and flaps included for free in my deal.... I don't know why we can't get a sunroof when the US model can.... I have had DVD sat navs in my Honda Accord and X Type Jag, i find the Tom Tom to be better except for the ongoing issue i'm having with live services.

Maybe you have screwed your dealer down already? I paid 29k and got mats and flaps, metallic paint and the safety pack as the extras.

29k?! That'd be like paying 2k for mats and flaps compared to my price this time last year, ouch!

I've ordered the same car but for 26100 otr 12m tax

Mats and flaps, hard boot liner, paint stick, full sized alloy 19" wheel and tyre, with poly wheel surround have brought the price up to 26600, near enough.

Which I think is still expensive for a Mazda.

Maybe you have screwed your dealer down already? I paid 29k and got mats and flaps, metallic paint and the safety pack as the extras.

I emailed this company and questioned whether there was any difference in the r36 and r36a.

the reply confirms the tyres are the same.

"Hi

Many thanks for your email. These tyres are actually both the same tyre, however the way our website works they show some stock from different suppliers and therefore sometimes showing different descriptions and prices. The cheaper option in this size is available.

Many Thanks

Andrew

www.tyredrive.co.uk"

I ordered one of the R36A tyres from TyreDrive as a spare to keep in the garage (it's my wife's CX-5, so it's never far from home, and I'll call out Kwik Fit to fit it). It's exactly the same as the tyres on the CX-5 - in fact, the tyres on our CX-5 are marked as R36A. It was 145 delivered, arrived 2 days from order.

Thought i would share my windscreen replacement adventure. As previously posted my windscreen cracked after a stock impact on the 29th of March. I had Autoglass booked into replace it on the 6th, but they advised me on the 5th they had no stock and had to push back the appointment to the 13th.

Then come the 12th i get another call advising me the windscreen they had ordered in got damaged in transit and i'd have to wait until the 24th/25th for a replacement. I phoned around but the various companies could not confirm they had stock. There was an urgency as i had to collect some family from Heathrow on the 18th of April.

So i called my insurance broker and asked who else was authorised to do the replacement. Unlucky for me they had switched to Autoglass - but got stuck in to sorting it calling Autoglass and Mazda Uk after taking down the VIN number of the vehicle.

2 hours later i got a date through for the 16th, which Autoglass kept - after Mazda Uk had a windscreen couriered in from mainland Europe (no spare glass in the whole of the UK). Well done my broker, A-Plan.

I then called Mazda Uk as a concerned customer (concerned in that my 3 month old car, a 12 month old model, was unroadworth for almost 3 weeks while waiting for spare parts). They confirmed there was no spare glass in the UK owing to a shipment of windscreen getting damaged while in transit from Japan at Christmas. Oh great! I did mention to the customer service agent that it was hardly encouraging me to buy a new Mazda in future.

FYI the crack in my windscreen finally measured about 16" in length from just above the roof line over the steering wheel out to the centre of the windscreen below the rear view mirror. What is concerning, possibly, is that the replacement windscreen (a genuine Mazda part) was very thin. 2 sheets of glass about 2-2.5mm thick with a 3-4mm resin layer in between. It looks like Mazda have shaved off weight here, but hopefully not at the expense of durability?!

I will follow it up with Mazda UK and see what they say. Now i can get the rattles and faults sorted out at the dealership!

Back