How loud is it inside the cabin?

When climbing the steepest part of the pass to my local ski hill I am in 4th gear pulling 3000-4000 rpm. The sound level of the engine is very moderate and I actually like it. But during a pedal to the floor pass the revs go all the way to redline and, I agree, then the sound is not as pleasant.

Agreed, the unpleasant sound is obvious at about 5000+ rpm. This has never been my favorite engine config. Below 4000 the sound is quite refined and easily competitive with NVH of any 4 banger compact SUV.

Try installing "Peel Easy" from home depot. It is a cheaper option to DynaMat. I would put that on spare tire well and the liftgate. Audiophile people have good feeback on that material.

I agree that it is all highly subjective. This weekend, I test drove a CX-5, Rav-4 and RDX just to get a feel for the competition. I listened hard for noise levels in all 3. The CX-5 noise level seemed just fine to me and I expected the RDX to be vastly superior. However, I didn't come away thinking it was. Don't get me wrong, the RDX is nice and it is a solid vehicle but I didn't leave with the feeling that the RDX noise level improvement was worth the cost.

I suspect others might feel it is worth it but I honestly preferred the CX-5... Except for the darned mirror shake! I am having a hard time getting passed the one :(

I agree that it is all highly subjective. This weekend, I test drove a CX-5, Rav-4 and RDX just to get a feel for the competition. I listened hard for noise levels in all 3. The CX-5 noise level seemed just fine to me and I expected the RDX to be vastly superior. However, I didn't come away thinking it was. Don't get me wrong, the RDX is nice and it is a solid vehicle but I didn't leave with the feeling that the RDX noise level improvement was worth the cost.

I suspect others might feel it is worth it but I honestly preferred the CX-5... Except for the darned mirror shake! I am having a hard time getting passed the one :(

Mirror shake is hardly worth getting hung up on. Mazda already published TSB on 2/26/13 for fixing that.

Ford Motor Co. Did sound testing with real subjects and found that the characteristics (frequencies, harmonics, etc.) of the cabin noise were more important to owner's perception of cabin noise than absolute sound levels as measured with a sound meter.

I remember reading a major car magazine several years back that commented on the same thing when questioned about db levels in the cars. It makes a lot of sense.

For me when on smooth roads and low wind the car is super quiet. The tires pick up a noticeable amount of noise on rougher surfaces and I can hear differing levels of wind noise when it is windy out depending on the velocity of the wind.

Mirror shake is hardly worth getting hung up on. Mazda already published TSB on 2/26/13 for fixing that.

My understanding was that TSB only covered the 2013 models. The one I drove was a 2014, hence my skepticism about the "fix." I don't think anyone has had this TSB completed on a 2014 but I could be wrong.

My understanding was that TSB only covered the 2013 models. The one I drove was a 2014, hence my skepticism about the "fix." I don't think anyone has had this TSB completed on a 2014 but I could be wrong.

I see what you mean regarding the TSB bulletin number 09-002/13 and how it identifies applicable models (produced before November 16, 2012).

Regardless, a new CX-5 with this defect needs to be fixed while under warranty and these repair techniques plus others might be necessary.

My personal experience is that ROAD noise is similar to what I had in my 2004 CR-V...I identify road noise as the sound of my tires on the road. However the overall cabin insulation/outside noise is substantially better in the CX-5. The CX-5 definitely feels more insulated from the sounds of things going on around me.

I hope that makes sense. I was also someone who did a decibal test drive and the CX-5 came in lower on overal noise traveling 70 mph on a concrete highway than the 2013 RAV4, 2014 Subaru Forester and my 2004 CR-V. It wasn't by a ton...about 2 decibals.

Tires play an important role. Geolanders are below average tires. Bridgestone Econias are better tires and they are cheaper than geolanders.

So I've been reading updated reviews on the CX-5, and road noise seems to be a common issue (Consumer Reports, Car and Driver, Edmunds, etc), but came across the Top Gear review from 2012, which says this:

"It's the comfort and refinement that are most obvious. Mazda has used a new insulation material in the construction, and it gives the CX-5 a similarly hushed, isolated cabin to the best German execs."

So it makes we wonder if Mazda puts in additional insulation in models that go to Europe?

Last edited:
I find it quiet, until around 75mph or more on a very smooth road, then you notice a bit of noise over the windscreen and hear the tyre noise. I put it down to slightly wider tyres than my previous cars. The noise doesnt come from the mirrors as there is no change when you fold them in when driving. All in all it is a quiet car, especially the fact that you can hardly tell its a diesel once you are above jogging speed. Now that I fixed the most annoying rattle from the handle above the drivers head, its all quiet again!

So I've been reading updated reviews on the CX-9, and road noise seems to be a common issue (Consumer Reports, Car and Driver, Edmunds, etc), but came across the Top Gear review from 2012, which says this:

"It's the comfort and refinement that are most obvious. Mazda has used a new insulation material in the construction, and it gives the CX-5 a similarly hushed, isolated cabin to the best German execs."

So it makes we wonder if Mazda puts in additional insulation in models that go to Europe?
Doubt that very much. Europeans have different expectation of things like road noise than Americans. Mazda vehicles have always been faulted by our buff mags for this trait and I doubt that they're going to stop any time soon (old habits die hard). After six months and 6500 miles, I consider my CX-5 pretty average in this respect.

Road noise/wind noise in CX-5 at normal freeway speeds (70-80mph here) is very similar to my current gen Mercedes and Lexus sport sedans, good.

I have read and watched UK reviews of the CX5 and some praise it for being so quiet and some say its the weak point! Seems a bit of a mix so its really up to the individual to decide.

I find it quiet, until around 75mph or more on a very smooth road, then you notice a bit of noise over the windscreen and hear the tyre noise. I put it down to slightly wider tyres than my previous cars. The noise doesnt come from the mirrors as there is no change when you fold them in when driving. All in all it is a quiet car, especially the fact that you can hardly tell its a diesel once you are above jogging speed. Now that I fixed the most annoying rattle from the handle above the drivers head, its all quiet again!

Hi Dr,

did you have a rattle around the sunglasses holder? my dealers had 2 goes at that, I think I've narrowed it down to that area when it's under 10 deg. C.

I had a slight rattle from the blank panel between the lights in the overhead panel but that was only in cold weather and with low revs. It has gone away itself so I'm not bothered about that. If it comes back, my plan was to pop the panel off and simple put a piece of foam behind.

I had a really annoying rattle from the grab handle on the roof, but I fixed that with a bit of thick grease yesterday. No more rattles for now.

Back