How long do OEM tires last?

20,000 hard NYC miles on my set of GT 19" Toyo A32's. Slightly more road noise and a noticeable decrease in ultimate grip. Overall NVH has increased, but to a small margin. It is more noticeable during cold days and high frequency road imperfections.

I also discovered that the tire treads pattern may be a contributing factor to the steering being slightly off center "from factory". After rotation, it is nearly centered, if not slightly biased towards the left now.

i only got 34,000 out of my stock 17s and they were dry rotted and one tire is going flat every couple days i also went to mazda to get a quote on tires and they told me 800 bucks for cheapest tires and that if i didnt use there tires it would damage my transmission. im not a mechanic but i know this sounded like bs since ive owned 15 cars and ive never heard of a transmission going bad because u didn't use factory tires needless to say after owning 2 mazda 3s and this cx5 im pretty sure its the last mazda i will buy seems like everytime our cars go in to the shop there trying to get 600$ + out of us

i only got 34,000 out of my stock 17s and they were dry rotted and one tire is going flat every couple days i also went to mazda to get a quote on tires and they told me 800 bucks for cheapest tires and that if i didnt use there tires it would damage my transmission. im not a mechanic but i know this sounded like bs since ive owned 15 cars and ive never heard of a transmission going bad because u didn't use factory tires needless to say after owning 2 mazda 3s and this cx5 im pretty sure its the last mazda i will buy seems like everytime our cars go in to the shop there trying to get 600$ + out of us

And once again Mazda's reputation is spoiled by a lousy dealer...

I was one of the Toyota owners who came to hate the Geolandar G91A on my RAV4. The chassis of that vehicle hides a lot of faults in the tires... by the time I finally replaced them (at 19,975 miles, with maybe 3- or 4/32 of tread left) they had gotten LOUD as hell and didn't fare all that well in the rain.

So yeah... it sounds like Mazda specified different tweaks to the tread compound than what Toyota did, but at the end of the day, I'd shop around for other tires rather than replace them with the OE Yokohamas.

I'm currently at 24,300 miles and my tires already need to be replaced. I'm wondering if Mazda installs "cheap" versions of toyo tires (I have a 2013 GT w/19" tires) before sending them off to dealerships.
Has anyone else installed different brand of tires and if so, are they any better at handing/road noise/fuel savings?

Last edited:
Some are reporting pretty good mileage on their Toyos. In continual mountain driving, I estimate I have another 3,000 miles left, which will put me just over 30,000k. Have you researched the Continental True Contacts? They seem like a good bet for replacements.

I have 30K on my Toyo's. I would say I shoud be able to get another 10K miles before I need replacement. But I will prob change it earlier (before the start of winter).

Any suggestions on 19" tire replacements?

Just ordered a new set to replace my OE 17" Yokos. My odometer reads ~ 35K mi, but I had Blizzaks on for ~4K mi this past winter, so they've lasted ~31K mi here in Ohio (mostly Interstate & rural state route driving).

The other factor in tire wear is the type of roads you drive on. Concrete roads with "grooves" in them will wear your tire out quicker then asphalt. It seems here that concrete is the choice of material they use here in North Texas.

In Cape Coral FL, I drive some on shell roads (shells & coral used in the filler). They can cut up tires pretty quick. Some of the side roads it is akin to driving on gravel but, the gravel doesn't move. My 17 inch tires are now at 8/32" at 7,500 miles so I should be at the wear bars at ~ 40,000 or maybe less. Ed

I'm at about 22,000 miles right now but I had snow tires on for about 7500 of those.. My OEM tires are getting pretty thin and I'm trying to wear them out as much as is safely possible before switching them out.

When I do switch'em.. I'm going to put something with more teeth on for mountain dirt roads.. priorities, you know.

I had my car for 9 months now and I am at 23K km, the tires (Toyo) on 17 inch did well in the winter I must say. I do expect to get around 55K km - mostly backroad (paved) driving around 90K/h. I am not a peeler and must admit that I do not like these tires in the rain at all. I also had a slow leak (roofing nail). So around this time next year I would be looking for new tires. My choice will most likely be a Michelin or a Pirelli model tire.

My front 19" tires are flush with the indicator now at 30,000 miles, so I've been shopping. I stumbled upon a great deal with TreadDepot -- Pirelli P7s for a total of $710 (includes taxes and shipping). They are being sent to Tire Kingdom which will install for around $65.

This is after an exhaustive search of Sam's Club ($752 for tires only, not including tax), Tire Rack ($731 for tires and shipping, but not tax), Discount Tire ($725 not including tax), TireBuyer.com, Simple tire.com, Sears, Quick Lane, etc., etc., etc..

The only way I could have gotten a better deal was to wait for another coupon, but none are offered at this time.

Last edited:
Mine are wearing the inside edges quite a bit on the back wheels. Goodyear tech pointed out the spec camber allows up to -2.0 in the back (mine at approx -1.0) which does tilt the top towards the center of the car. Aggressive rotation schedule seems to be the only fix. I have noticed quite a bit of additional road noise as these wear (at 30k) - and wonder if I can get another 30 on these....(boom02)

Noticed the same with mine AND my stepdaughters...must be favoring negative camber for the zoom-zoom effect, getting my alignment checked tomorrow.

My front 19" tires are flush with the indicator now at 30,000 miles, so I've been shopping. I stumbled upon a great deal with TreadDepot -- Pirelli P7s for a total of $710 (includes taxes and shipping). They are being sent to Tire Kingdom which will install for around $65.

Please post how you like them compared to OEM after you have a few thousand miles.

I like the conti's as well but damn ~$800 is a lot. I had thought about the P7's as well but do they have size that fits the GT's 19" rim?

I like the conti's as well but damn ~$800 is a lot. I had thought about the P7's as well but do they have size that fits the GT's 19" rim?

Yes, the 225/55/19s are available in the Pirelli P7s. If you tire shop doesn't have that size, then order them through a website or have them order for you. The price range is $155 - $200 per tire.

My CX-7 tires were done at 50k all three times, my CX-5 besides getting better mpg is easier on the tires, at 40k they still look good :)

I'm about a week into my experience with the new Pirelli tires, and so far, so good. I do notice less road noise, especially on newly paved surfaces. Handling is great, but I don't have enough experience with wet surfaces and gas mileage to report on those attributes.

The tires so seem to be a bit stiffer, in that there is a slight increase in road imperfections being transmitted to the cabin and through the steering column, but it all remains within reason. I'll keep everyone updated in the months to come.

Discount Tires Direct on eBay is running a $100 off sales and they do carry Pirelli P7s. Just bought a set for $644 includes taxes+shipping.

Back