how do you start racing?

c0okiecrisps

:
Pr5
i want to get into street circuit racing, and time attacks.
i dont know any where i live that races, and i dont know how to start racing at the track.

i live in georgia, right near atlanta speedway, if anyone could help me get in there to drive, i'd love you! and buy you sonic for lunch

Go check and see if they have any high performance driving schools that teach you that stuff at Atlanta speedway. If anything, they should have track days that let you take your car onto it and let you drive as fast as you want. That's the easiest way to meet people who race...

id start with your local autocross...
not high speed but its cheap and will teach you a great deal on how you can control your car..
then move up into track schools..

A lot of local clubs Audi club, etc. sponser 'day at the track' with an instructor. Keep asking around & DO IT! You have a great car for it. All you will need is a DOT Helmet...

Check out the SCCA website for all the events around you.
Also NASA is good for Time Attacks.

Or pull up the schedule for the local tracks and see who has it reserved when. Most times you can piggy back in on events with other clubs- even if you aren't a member. This is a great way to get "track time" but it's usually not "racing". But you have to crawl before you run.

I'm not sure what street circuit racing is, but the we have a very solid autocross base in the Atlanta SCCA Region. We're pretty much done for the year, but we're going to be getting started again in late february I believe. We have events this coming season @ Six Flags, Turner Field, and Atlanta Motor Speedway (including a couple of night events in the summer. CRAZY fun!)

Let me know if you have any other questions. Also, check out the Georgia forum on these boards. We have a good group of folks who regularly autocross, along with a few local purpose built autocross and track cars :).
If you want a little more info about the SCCA Solo2 Autocross classes, check out the Motorsports forum. Wayne (apexlater) has an excellent sticky there about which Mazdas fit well in which classes, and brief descriptions of allowed mods / etc.

:)

There's an article in the current Sport Compact Car about going through the HPDE phases, then getting a racing license. Should give you an idea of a good path. Find all the tracks near you, research their schedules, find out who is doing what at the tracks then follow the trail to those organizations and see what they're about. That's how I find things out.

I had a great time at a BMW Club ultimate driving school in Aug at Watkins Glen. I'm sure they would have a few events at Road Atl. These types of schools you use your own car, keeps the cost down. PAy around 500$ to register. Put on some good tires and brakes and your goin!!!

Agreed! Go buy an proved helmet and start auto crossing.

I would but im not aloud to do it in the P5, i have to use the neon (which stock for stock would eat the p5 in autocross anyway) but still thats no fun :(

While I'm not a true racer I've done a few years of open circuit track days.

I studied a lot of books on suspension, motors, and driving/racing. I even had the video from Skip Barber.

Then I went on a ride along at one of the tracks, did my own thing and it showed that I still had a lot to learn. Eventually I read even more and applied the theory.

A high performance driving/racing school is another alternative too.

Back