How do you remove / replace the catalytic converter?

Hello Everyone,

To BMXBMW no, I've never replaced the O2 sensors. That's why I took the car to the dealer- to make sure that there where no other codes, or issues that where common to the 1.6l engines. They didn't mention replacing the 02 sensors.

Thanks,

Steve

I just got the non fouler, but after reading how to thread I realized that the non fouler used had a gasket and the one I got doesn't. are the gaskets a must or I should be fine with out them? I have not open the packaging so I can return it in case I actually need the one with the gaskets.

replaceo2sensor1.png

replaceo2sensor2.png

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just got the non fouler, but after reading how to thread I realized that the non fouler used had a gasket and the one I got doesn't. are the gaskets a must or I should be fine with out them? I have not open the packaging so I can return it in case I actually need the one with the gaskets.

I would say def use the gaskets. They'll not only prevent leaks but also serve as a sort of lockwasher to hold it in there.

while there a replacement interval i do have a problem with folowing them sometimes

whos to say the 02 sensors wont go bad at 30k?
who can say that at 100k they will still be reading as good as they did the day they left the ass'y line?

forgive me for being realistic, but if my 02 sensors are workingperfectly and they cost as much as some othe 02 sensors for other cars i sure as hell aint replacing them

granted, 02 sensors are cheaper to replace than other things but i wont be the one taking the chance and the customers money and replace things one by one untill the problem is fixed

are you aware of the steps needed to be taken to legally replace a cat?

Last edited:
Hopefully folks are still reading/responding to this post. I was getting both P0421 and P0171 codes on my 2000 Mazda Protege ES (1.8 L, manual tranny) recently. Sensors are good. Had a major leak in intake so I had the plenum, manifold, and throttle body gaskets replaced. Still getting the P0421 code. I guess I have to take it to Mazda. My local mechanic says he he's having a hard time finding aftermarket cats that meet EPA standards here in Los Angeles, CA so he recommended I call the Mazda dealer for this job.

Any other (and more cost effective) options out there? Is this something I can order and do myself? Hopefully I can just get away with just the front cat.

Hopefully folks are still reading/responding to this post. I was getting both P0421 and P0171 codes on my 2000 Mazda Protege ES (1.8 L, manual tranny) recently. Sensors are good. Had a major leak in intake so I had the plenum, manifold, and throttle body gaskets replaced. Still getting the P0421 code. I guess I have to take it to Mazda. My local mechanic says he he's having a hard time finding aftermarket cats that meet EPA standards here in Los Angeles, CA so he recommended I call the Mazda dealer for this job.

Any other (and more cost effective) options out there? Is this something I can order and do myself? Hopefully I can just get away with just the front cat.

Mine was definitely blocked. Chunks of ceramic material plugging flow. My question is this: I have a Cali car, but don't live in Cali anymore. Can I use a 48 state cat since I don't need the CARB certified one? Looking at the Rock Auto pictures they don't appear any different, I'm assuming it's the innards that make the biggest difference. Right now I have a header on as a temporary fix, and that was a pain in the butt to install but I'm looking at putting a cat back on it on a later date. TIA

If your car is no longer registered in CA, you can do whatever is allowed in its registered state. How does your new state do a smog check?

Back