How do we install subs

JESUS!!!

He has a BOSE headunit, which OUTPUTS in LINE LEVEL (low level, as in not amplified). he does NOT need a LOC at all. He needs a wire cutter and wire stripper and some wire and either butt connectors with pliers or soder. I am sorry if my message is short, but I am a little inebriated at the moment.

Dont buy anotehr LOC. Just go push your driver seat all the way up. then go to the back seat and check out all the wire going under the black cover. Now check Crisis' wiring diagram and choose a color that states as an INPUT, cut the damn wire and soder that to another wire which on the other end will become an RCA to plug into a LOW LEVEL input for the amp for your sub. This will be a full freq. signal with no crossovers or cutoffs or any of that s*** you normally have to deal with.

En vino es veritas.

I found that I needed a ground loop isolator when I did this.

What if I use the RCA going to the bose amp and then use a Y adapter for each wire (Female to 2 Males) and then plug one of the males to the bose amp. Then use the other male and get a female to female and plug my sub rca's into that.

Would this work instead of the LOC

I installed a week ago using the inputs to the Bose amp. I am getting quite a bit of noise. I am trying to isolate the source before I resort to some kind of filter. I ended up installing the amp under the passenger seat and it fit really well. I spliced into factory amp inputs and routed under the carpet to the passenger side.

GhostMercury you will not find any RCA plugs in the factory installation. You will need to tap into exisiting wiring.

Ed.

I installed a week ago using the inputs to the Bose amp. I am getting quite a bit of noise. I am trying to isolate the source before I resort to some kind of filter. I ended up installing the amp under the passenger seat and it fit really well. I spliced into factory amp inputs and routed under the carpet to the passenger side.

GhostMercury you will not find any RCA plugs in the factory installation. You will need to tap into exisiting wiring.

Ed.

I'll say it again. To do this, you need a ground loop isolator. Go down to Radio Shack and buy one. If it doesn't work, you can always return it.

Ed.

did you route your power/remote wires on the other side of the car? (away from the signal wires.)

I don't think they are so bad, but with the Bose system it's just not needed, may even cause problems since you're splicing in to a low level signal already. LOC is to convert a high level signal to a low level.

Vord I have the main power coming down the passenger side of the car by the door.

I have the signal coming in from the drivers side seat. I am running the remote cable together with the RCAs that I spliced into the factory amp inputs. When I installed I did not believe that this small signal wire would impact the RCA wires. Do you think this could be it?

Ed.

no, but I think your bolt for the ground on your amp is probably too small.

Which bolt are you using to ground the amp?

Vord I am using for a ground a screw hole that was used by the factory subwoofer assembly for grounding - I did grind off all the paint around the contact area. I have been thinking about putting a large end on my amp cable and then grounding that through one of the seat anchor bolts.

GhostMercury the type of sound coming through your sub is going to be controlled by your crossover circuit. You should be able to bypass the higher frequency signal through your amp - most are set up to allow you to control this.

Ed.

Vord I am using for a ground a screw hole that was used by the factory subwoofer assembly for grounding - I did grind off all the paint around the contact area. I have been thinking about putting a large end on my amp cable and then grounding that through one of the seat anchor bolts.

GhostMercury the type of sound coming through your sub is going to be controlled by your crossover circuit. You should be able to bypass the higher frequency signal through your amp - most are set up to allow you to control this.

Ed.

What power are you putting out? I know this is weird, but I have heard of people having grounding issues especially when they are pulling alot of power. This becomes an issue as the car is used as more and more of a ground, near the base ground.

Try switching to a bigger bolt and also try what Midlife said. Personally I dont have a ground loop isolator, but my amp is in the back of my car and its hooked up to one of the bolts that hold the backseat down.

Vord I am running a fairly small amp. It is 200 watts RMS bridged into a 10" subwoofer in the hatch area. I am running 8 ga power and ground cables.

I will try grounding to one of the seat bolts and see if that clears it up.

Ed.

Has anyone actually done a complete "how to" on this topic yet? And with good results? I ordered a sub and an amp from crutchfield and I'm begining to regret it because it seems as though this install is extremely complicated w/ the bose package.

If vord made a how to with pics he would be a GENIUS!

Lol. Let me see if I can get a camera. I can't exactly do a HOW-to, but I will take pictures and put up some steps. A Little busy, but I will see to it.

Vord I am running a fairly small amp. It is 200 watts RMS bridged into a 10" subwoofer in the hatch area. I am running 8 ga power and ground cables.

I will try grounding to one of the seat bolts and see if that clears it up.

Ed.

Did you get any results?

Changed the grounding recently and it did not make any difference. I put a larger connection on the end of the 8 ga ground cable, polished the paint off the bottom on one of the seat bolts and then tightened it up and still have the same noise.

My next step is to pull the RCA cables out and re-route and see if they are the source of the noise.

Ed.

Not yet. The ground loop isolator will be my last recourse. I am trying to avoid doing anything that may impact the signal if at all possible.

Ed.

Back