how do people work in cubicles?

wanger68

:
subbie '01 2.5RS
alright, so I'm sitting here in this cube, and I'm going crazy!!! I don't understand how people can do this every freaking day. it is sooo mundane! and when I say mundane I mean I rather have someone rip out each one of the hairs on my body one by one than sit here every freaking day!

just as background, I'm a sign language interpreter. I travel all over during the day from one place to another. I'm just filling in for someone who works specifically for one place and sits in a cube until needed.

for those that do it, much admiration for being able to handle this. maybe this is why I couldn't hack it as an computer engineer...

wanger68 said:
alright, so I'm sitting here in this cube, and I'm going crazy!!! I don't understand how people can do this every freaking day. it is sooo mundane! and when I say mundane I mean I rather have someone rip out each one of the hairs on my body one by one than sit here every freaking day!

just as background, I'm a sign language interpreter. I travel all over during the day from one place to another. I'm just filling in for someone who works specifically for one place and sits in a cube until needed.

for those that do it, much admiration for being able to handle this. maybe this is why I couldn't hack it as an computer engineer...
I don't know how people work inside I could not stand that

welcome to my world, - it helps to have a fairly extensive CD collection with calming music.

Mostly I listen to Portishead, the Beach Boys greatest hits, and the Soundtrack/Score to Blade Runner and Great Expectations.

i did it for a while. you kinda get used to it and then it hits you again that you are in a damn cube and the cycle starts all over. the only reason i survived was because i had to train this hot chick we hired. she always wore low cut shirts and short skirts. it made the day bearable.

god bless hot chicks.. they are so hot!

good thing I had a lot of post reading to catch up on... this day will never end!

I love the cube atmosphere. No one bothers me and I don't have to worry about anyone else. Helps to not be very sociable either;)

nothing wrong with attractive girls, nothing at all, but when I am at work : NO DISTRACTIONS. When I am distracted, productivity plummets - which only results in more work later. I don't talk to anyone I don't have to, if I need to talk to someone about something personal, I will co-ordinate a lunch break or a small 15 minute break. Plus there is plenty of time after work.

Working in a cube is great, I've got my star wars calender pics on my back wall, software and music cd's hanging on tacks on the right wall, and reminders and printouts on the front wall.

Homedics massage pad with heat on the chair, decent amount of snacks and supplies on hand. Even got a "Continuem Transfunctioner" (rubiks cube) for when I need to think about something.

Some people might talk down working in a cube, some prefer manual labor, and I tend to think both sides look at the other like they are lemmings. To me, it's just what's paying the bills. I enjoy my job enough to show up everyday and barely use my vacation time. Out of the 15 vacation days I get a year, I've only used 3. It helps having 5 sick days and 5 personal days.

Back to work.

You feel like the guys on Office Space. That is a great movie. I too don't see how some one stands working in a cubicle unless you are busy enough that time passes by. I work in a hospital, which feels like a dungeon do to lack of windows in the halls, crappy views from patient rooms, and the flourescent light atmosphere. You don't know if it is day or night, rain or shine, but at least I am all over the hospital. I don't feel "caged" in. I don't know how people can stand at a cash register all day too.

"please do not touch my stapler" .

I work in a cube now.. I just got "promoted" to it and I like it. I used to work for my dad fixing A/C's and I got to go EVERYWHERE.. but I would rather work in a cube. Think about it, its a controlled environment.. you can sit on your ass and eat all day long (I am not fat). And theres more room to goof off. It sure beats working in a fast food kitchen where your burning up or installing A/C's burning up on the top of a building.

Good one guys. I've been doing it for about 11 years, I've always work in a cube or office, it is kind of hard doing any programming while "mobile".

Just the "programmer's" way of life .... and yes it's just like office space .... Let's go outside and trash some printers !!!

i NEVER am inside for longer than a half hour at a time, i run around fixing all types of s***, and yes...i can identify with installing a/c's, and boy it sucks!

I work in a cubicle but usually I'm too busy to give 2 s**** where I am really......it doesn't matter too much to me. My cube is all decorated with toys and motorcycle s***......plus I can just telecommute from home whenever I want so that always rocks......I'm sitting out on the deck right now and working.......70 degrees and sunny with the dogs at my feet......aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh :)

I'm ready to go all "Samir Nayeenanajar and Michael Bolton" on this freaking computer... every 20 minutes I have to reboot cause it crashes. stupid gov't computers... you would think they would have something fairly reliable. to quote the pirate with a steering wheel on his penis..."yaarrrggghhh... its driving me nuts!!!!"

Yeah, ain't cubicle life grand?? I've only been working in a cube for 2.5 years, and it makes me stir crazy. Add into that the 70 hours a week that I am here, and I wonder how in the hell I do it.
Like previously posted, I listen to all sorts of music (3.17 Gigs on my network share right now.) and daydream alot. :)

Back