2013~2016 How do my CX-5 spark plugs look?

:
16 CX-5 GT w/ Tech
Just did my first spark plug change on a vehicle and gotta say the CX-5 was super easy. Thanks to all the great info on the forum. So, how do my plugs look for 78k miles on them (2016 GT)? I used Mazda PE5R-18-110A plugs for replacement.

IMG_6986.jpeg

Congratulations on your DIY adventure. Skyactiv-G spark plug replacement is an excellent DIY project even for a beginner. Just a couple of tools and not much to go wrong.

Plugs appear pretty typical to me. The last on the right looks a little wet and carboned up but that doesn't necessarily mean anything .

Did you use a torque wrench to put the new plugs in or do it by feel (like finger tight + 1/4 or 1/2 turn something like that)?

👍 Good job.

Congratulations on your DIY adventure. Skyactiv-G spark plug replacement is an excellent DIY project even for a beginner. Just a couple of tools and not much to go wrong.

Plugs appear pretty typical to me. The last on the right looks a little wet and carboned up but that doesn't necessarily mean anything .

Did you use a torque wrench to put the new plugs in or do it by feel (like finger tight + 1/4 or 1/2 turn something like that)?

👍 Good job.

I invested in a torque wrench not just for this but other projects around the house too. Worked like a charm. Thanks for the feedback!

Just did mine at almost 82,000 miles, surprisingly easy. Highly recommend using a 14mm spark plug socket with extension. That's one deep hole.

IMG_20231106_123019915_HDR.jpg

IMG_20231106_121610701_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Just did mine at almost 82,000 miles, surprisingly easy. Highly recommend using a 14mm spark plug socket with extension. That's one deep hole.

View attachment 323658

View attachment 323659
Wait, your factory spark plugs are the rare PE5S-18-110 instead of commonly seen PE5R-18-110?

PE5R-18-110 is made by NGK and has NGK’s “ILKAR7L11” model number imprint on ceramic insulator.

PE5S-18-110 isn’t available for sale in US Mazda dealers and it supposed to be made by Denso and is equivalent to ZC20HPR11. Can you see any info on your factory plug related to Denso ZC20HPR11 plug? Please let us know.

Last edited:
Wait, your factory spark plugs are the rare PE5S-18-110 instead of commonly seen PE5R-18-110?

PE5R-18-110 is made by NGK and has NGK’s “LKAR7L11” model number imprint on ceramic insulator.

PE5S-18-110 isn’t available for sale in US Mazda dealers and it supposed to be made by Denso and is equivalent to ZC20HPR11. Can you see any info on your factory plug related to Denso ZC20HPR11 plug? Please let us know.
What you see is what's there. What exactly are you looking for?

What you see is what's there. What exactly are you looking for?
What is the wording after the “110” on the top line? Looks like a bold “MAZDA”? The leftmost one seems to say “PR11” but can’t see clearly the whole second line wording as it’s covered by brownish deposit?

I guess if you still have the old plugs, clean up the ceramic insulator and post the 2 line imprints would be appreciated.

And do you have the link for that nice long 14mm spark plug socket?

What is the wording after the “110” on the top line? Looks like a bold “MAZDA”? The leftmost one seems to say “PR11” but can’t see clearly the whole second line wording as it’s covered by brownish deposit?

I guess if you still have the old plugs, clean up the ceramic insulator and post the 2 line imprints would be appreciated.

I'll get some more pictures when I get home later today. The socket is from Auto Zone , oddly there's no link to the one I bought, actually came with another one with a bigger size and the pair costs under $11. Anyone should do with the rubber insert. .

Last edited:
I didn't realize how long the treaded portion of those plugs are! I've seen em before here, but I guess I didn't take a good look.

Last edited:

Yes...it's in the owners manual spec area:

Spark-plug number Mazda Genuine spark plug*1 PE5R-18-110 or PE5S-18-110

Why is this such a revelation?

Yes...it's in the owners manual spec area:

Spark-plug number Mazda Genuine spark plug*1 PE5R-18-110 or PE5S-18-110

Why is this such a revelation?
Firstly PE5S-18-110, although listed in owner’s manual, isn’t available in US Mazda dealers. I want to see what kind of the plug PE5S-18-110 really is just like I want to see the MV spark plugs. Secondly, some had said PE5S-18-110 is made by Denso. But I’ve never seen any complete pictures (or video in your case) showing the PE5S-18-110 plugs before. With Denso’s “ZC20HPR11” model number imprint on OEM plug ceramic insulator, people can get the same Denso plug and use it on the 2.5L NA with confidence.

Back