how do i stop the 'door open' beeping?

leahpro5

:
Protege 5, 2002
it drives me crazy.... when the accessory is on and the door is open that really annoying beeping noise to tell you your is open (no s***) wont stop.
I want to have my doors open and listen to the stereo with out the beeping.
My old ford was easy, just cut the wire. But with my P5(2002) i cant figure out how to shut it off.
Any ideas?? please??

Thanks, Leah (blackp5)

Or:

1) Turn off car
2) Open door
3) Turn key to accessory
4) Listen to about ten seconds worth of ringing
5) Enjoy the lack of ringing from then-on.

yup, the door chime kill mod is the best. only takes about 10 minutes to do, but saves you from hours of ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding.....

Pretzellogic said:
Or:

1) Turn off car
2) Open door
3) Turn key to accessory
4) Listen to about ten seconds worth of ringing
5) Enjoy the lack of ringing from then-on.

I tried this tonight and it did not work.

Doug

traitorhound said:
um....why not just put the key to the "on" position so the chime will kill itself in like 10 sec

Well the fuel pump stays on if you do that, and all the other stuff that gets turned on drains a lot of power too.

anarchistchiken said:
Well the fuel pump stays on if you do that, and all the other stuff that gets turned on drains a lot of power too.

Not really I've gone to the drive in twice and I usually have plenty of juice and thats running my 600 watt amp + 12" JL sub.

easier way to do this.

1. Remove the three screws that are under the steering column.

2. Raise the tilt on the steering wheel.

3. Reach towards the lower back piece and pull (pretty tough) down. This will separate the bottom from the top piece of plastic on the steering column.

4. Once you remove the plastic coverings you will see the innards of the steering column. Look at the keyhole. To the lower right of it just 1.5'' away you will see a clip that inserts itself vertically. Depress the lock on the right side of it and pull the switch out (downward direction). Your beeping will now stop!

I don't recommend you cut any wires.... You may deploy an airbag! LOL But it can happen I guess.

Oh and one more step:

5. Replace all the panels.

this was done on a 2002 Protege5, Canadian model. should be the same for US model too.

Back