How 'bout them windshields...

ncik88

:
CX-5 Grand Touring
I've looked through the Mazda CX-5 Forums very often and I have seen several threads regarding the windshield being cracked easily. Some may say that a small chip causes about a foot crack in the windshield. With this information today I have called Mazda Customer Care and spoke with a very helpful lady. I asked her if Mazda is aware of this issue or if they have ever received any complaints. She has informed me that my call was the first time she heard about this issue. (eek2) Has anybody else called Mazda to complain about how easily their windshields seem to crack? I used to have a 2005 Mercury Mariner and that SUV could take rocks to the windshield without any cracks. Any input is appreciated and I have included a pic of my windshield currently. IMG_00000563.jpg

I am almost certain it is from something that hit the glass, a pebble I am assuming. I inspected the windshield and there is a very very small (about the size of a pen tip) chip about 2 inches from the top of the windshield. What I do not understand is how I went out last night to the gas station and cleaned my windows and then this morning when I came out for work it morphed into a huge crack. Another thing I do not understand is how a pen tip like nick can cause a 12 inch crack.

I took a hard rock hit right in the middle of the passenger side and all it did was leave a chip with a small "angel wing" on either side. Glass shop repaired and insurance covered with no deductible. No complaints here. It's all the luck of the draw when it comes to windshield damage.

After some quick Googling it seems like from this website that 3 inches from the top, bottom, and sides are the weakest points of the windshield. And 83% percent of cracked windshields are due to chips at these locations. Just my luck as you were saying. Source: http://decoman.hubpages.com/hub/How-to-Avoid-a-Windshield-Chip-Spreading-Into-an-Unrepairable-Crack 83% of windshield replacements happen because of cracks around the edges of the windshield. If the chip is in that area, or close to it, it's much more likely to spread.

I haven't had good luck with my Mazda windshields. My CX-5 cracked in the first couple of months and is just slowly getting longer. I also owned a 2007 Mazda 3, and it's windshield cracked fast as well. The paint chips very easily as well, but that seems pretty common on most cars anymore.

No problems with cracking of windshield yet. Though I had bad experience with the Honda Pilot and Infiniti QX windshields because of ******* NYC road debris.

I took a hard rock hit right in the middle of the passenger side and all it did was leave a chip with a small "angel wing" on either side. Glass shop repaired and insurance covered with no deductible. No complaints here. It's all the luck of the draw when it comes to windshield damage.

My wife's CX-5 windshield just took a rock hit on the 95 in the upper middle passenger side on her way down to the beach. About 10 inches from the passenger A pillar and 13 inches from the top of the windshield. By the time she came back on Monday, the star had progressed to a crack extending at an upward slope into the passenger A pillar and half way across the windshield in a downward slope. Trying to get State Farm to take care of this. Their glass guy said that only the dealer can get the part, so call the dealer.

Ha! Didn't expect this to be that big of a problem.

I took a hit traveling at highway speeds , either by a rock or pebble, in the top passenger side corner. It was okay for a couple weeks when all of a sudden I woke up and it turned into a crack about one foot long. As time progressed it has now spread to almost three feet.

After making a claim through my insurance, I was informed that these windshields are on national backorder and are shipping straight from Mazda warehouse in Japan. I has now been about a month of waiting....

Ha! Didn't expect this to be that big of a problem.
After making a claim through my insurance, I was informed that these windshields are on national backorder and are shipping straight from Mazda warehouse in Japan. I has now been about a month of waiting....

Not encouraging...

I think my wife will not be happy driving around for over a month with a windshield that has almost a 3 foot crack and growing. I will hope that the insurance company says something better today

My Protege5 windshield cracked twice. Once from a pebble near the side, and the second because the frame was rusting so bad it put pressure on the glass. I was hoping the CX-5 would be better...

I had a bird hit my windshield...top right hand corner by the pillar...I'm not sure if the metal or the glass took the brunt of it but thank god I'm not seeing a cracked windshield from that. There were feathers on the metal so I guess maybe that took the brunt of it. Though I'm certain there was some contact with the glass as well.

I've had to replace 2 windshields but I'm not about to blame Mazda yet. The first one was due to a rock impact on the lower passenger side. Small spider that quickly grew into a crack. The first independent glass shop I took it to wasn't able to agree with the insurance company on a price but the second shop (Portland Glass) had no problem doing the job. It did take a week or so for the part to be sourced from Mazda, August or Sept '12.

The second replacement was just a heat stress crack. I started the car and had to run back in the house over the winter (heater fan was off). When I came back out, I switched put the fan on high and switched it to defrost. CRACK. My fault and usually I know better. Had it replaced in 2 days or so from Portland Glass.

I'm surprised by the amount of people saying they're surprised that a chip rapidly expands to crack. Glass actively expands and contacts especially on a car where there is such a big change in temperature. If the glass is compromised, it will crack. The CX5 is my third Mazda, 03 MPV and a 07 Mazda6s. No windshield problems that I could remember on those.

No problem so far with '13 CX-5 in 15 months of ownership, I have taken rock hits and have some small chips.

(The last vehicle I had with multiple windshield glass rock hits/cracking incidents was a '02 Jeep Liberty.)

My wife's CX-5 windshield just took a rock hit on the 95 in the upper middle passenger side on her way down to the beach. About 10 inches from the passenger A pillar and 13 inches from the top of the windshield. By the time she came back on Monday, the star had progressed to a crack extending at an upward slope into the passenger A pillar and half way across the windshield in a downward slope. Trying to get State Farm to take care of this. Their glass guy said that only the dealer can get the part, so call the dealer.

That glass guy is wrong. Safelite did our windshield without any issues.

I've had to replace 2 windshields but I'm not about to blame Mazda yet. The first one was due to a rock impact on the lower passenger side. Small spider that quickly grew into a crack. The first independent glass shop I took it to wasn't able to agree with the insurance company on a price but the second shop (Portland Glass) had no problem doing the job. It did take a week or so for the part to be sourced from Mazda, August or Sept '12.

The second replacement was just a heat stress crack. I started the car and had to run back in the house over the winter (heater fan was off). When I came back out, I switched put the fan on high and switched it to defrost. CRACK. My fault and usually I know better. Had it replaced in 2 days or so from Portland Glass.

I'm surprised by the amount of people saying they're surprised that a chip rapidly expands to crack. Glass actively expands and contacts especially on a car where there is such a big change in temperature. If the glass is compromised, it will crack. The CX5 is my third Mazda, 03 MPV and a 07 Mazda6s. No windshield problems that I could remember on those.

We had one chip which Safelite repaired when it was the size of a dime. After a month of cold/warm weather it cracked to over 12 inches. They replaced the windshield. No issues since.

That glass guy is wrong. Safelite did our windshield without any issues.

In fact, State Farm just hooked us up with a local glass company that was just bought by Safelite. Regardless, the part is on national back order, and I am number 60 in line waiting for the CX-5 windshield "dealer part". Safelite will call us in mid to late July to give us an update on order status, hopefully they will have the part in by then and we can trek down to the next county to a shop where it can be installed because of the tech package...not something they want to do mobile.

Speaking of which anyone know if the laser needs recalibration? You would hope not.

In fact, State Farm just hooked us up with a local glass company that was just bought by Safelite. Regardless, the part is on national back order, and I am number 60 in line waiting for the CX-5 windshield "dealer part". Safelite will call us in mid to late July to give us an update on order status, hopefully they will have the part in by then and we can trek down to the next county to a shop where it can be installed because of the tech package...not something they want to do mobile.

Speaking of which anyone know if the laser needs recalibration? You would hope not.

I was wondering this as well. Because of the rain sensor and the laser. I wasn't aware that the windshield was back ordered. So you need to wait about a month after this happened to get it replaced?

I was wondering this as well. Because of the rain sensor and the laser. I wasn't aware that the windshield was back ordered. So you need to wait about a month after this happened to get it replaced?

That is what they tell me....about a month. Dealer does not specifically know about the laser and rain sensor, his manager needs to research.

That is what they tell me....about a month. Dealer does not specifically know about the laser and rain sensor, his manager needs to research.

Oh my. I wonder if that varies by state but I can only assume. I will let everyone know what the dealer says when I go there Saturday. I live outside Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

Back