New CX-5 with a cracked windshield

Just had a rock hit mine Friday. 35 mph, I was about 3 car lengths behind the car in front of me. Only 2400 miles, never had this happen to any vehicle I have owned in 40+ years. It was loud. It's about 1-1/4" at longest point. I have coverage, but when I inquired about affecting my premiums, she said if there were multiple claims, they could increase my deductible. There is no deductible for glass break repair or replacement here. I am going to have to call a verify info. from the insurance company tomorrow and decide if I am going to just pay out of pocket. Quote from Safelite online was $150, $20 mobile fee. If you look online, they have very few appointments available until the end of the month.
They have jumped up quite a bit at 150 bucks. It was 98 bucks a year or so ago when I went in.

They have jumped up quite a bit at 150 bucks. It was 98 bucks a year or so ago when I went in.
Almost everything has gone up significantly nowadays. Just found out the MSRP for OEM wiper refills on my gen-1 CX-5 have gone up from $8.33 / $8.16 / $8.10 November last year to current $10.74 / $8.56 / $12.05 front-driver / front-passenger / rear respectively.

It was quoted online @ $134.99 + $19.99 mobile fee + tax. So actually more than $160. Another local business close to me has a cost of chip repair $75 on their web site. I am going to check 2 shops close to me and get quotes and what process they use. Just pisses me off these windshields are so "brittle" compared to older vehicles I have owned.

I really don’t think that kind of damage on windshield can be repaired.
Agreed. I’m my experience they’ll say it can be repaired but they’re all shoulders when you ask why it looks bad afterwards. I tried having a starburst fixed back when I owned a 2014 Corolla. The repair looked like crap and it was right in my field of view, so I got it replaced. My mother in laws ‘18 CX5 had very similar damage to the OP. She opted for repair and imo it looks atrocious. The center of the crack was filled, but there are still three plain as day cracks branching out from the center that didn’t get any resin inside of them.

I’ve opted for full windshield replacements 2 times since then, once on my ‘13 CX-5 and just two weeks ago on my ‘19 RAV4. Florida has free windshield repairs/replacement with comprehensive so the CX-5 repair was zero deductible. Now I’m in Alabama so I had to pay my $250 comprehensive deductible to get my RAV4 windshield replaced.

I was a bit worried with the RAV4 as it has a camera on the windshield for the Safety Sense 2.0 system. Safelite replaced the windshield and had the camera calibration complete in under 30 minutes. Great service and I was able to do it on a Saturday. Needed to be done at their shop though due the calibration.

The wisdom is to not go for repair at safelite.
There used to be sole working experts which could fix pretty much everything but its hard to find one lately.

My mother in laws ‘18 CX5 had very similar damage to the OP. She opted for repair and imo it looks atrocious. The center of the crack was filled, but there are still three plain as day cracks branching out from the center that didn’t get any resin inside of them.
That's the exact kind of response I was looking for. Looks like it has 5 cracks coming from the center. Definitely getting more "eyes on" opinions from local shops. The guy with safelite was on the phone and never asked much about the "chip", just wanted to schedule the appointment.

That's the exact kind of response I was looking for. Looks like it has 5 cracks coming from the center. Definitely getting more "eyes on" opinions from local shops. The guy with safelite was on the phone and never asked much about the "chip", just wanted to schedule the appointment.
Exactly. Run away from safelite. All they do is advertise and that's how people know them and think they are the best to go to. They are the worst

Exactly. Run away from safelite. All they do is advertise and that's how people know them and think they are the best to go to. They are the worst

Oh god, I wish I read this before. I just had a windshield replaced on my CX-9. The HUD is now blurry and I honestly can't read it. Argh.

Just had a rock hit mine Friday. ...

That doesn't look to bad to me for a repair. Looks lower in the center of windshield (not in you or passenger direct line of sight). Pretty common for insurance companies to repair glass cracks and chips with zero cost to you (so as to avoid paying big bucks for a windshield replacement).

I've not had any (knock on wood!) Glass issues with 5 mazda's I've owned but have had plenty of experience with glass repair on work vehicles. They're usually not perfect but if the repair isn't right in front of your face it can be suitable. Safelite has done many quality repair jobs for me on work equipment. I don't how they'd be with replacement glass on a Mazda.

There ya go. My $ .02 😉 sucks catchin' a rock on your new ride. I feel ya!

The cracks will spread within days if you don't get the resin applied. It won't be invisible so if it bothers you plan on a new windshield.

They should reinforce windshields somehow.

Safelite only uses aftermarket windshields and they are horrible and the installs are horrendous as well.
That isn't correct. I had a windshield replaced by Safelite on a 2016 Acura RDX a few years ago and they put an Acura windshield back in. I specifically had it done that way as the car was less than 6mths old.

My previous car got a stone hit. Safelite did an excellent job replacing the windshield. My gripe was they first tried to fix the windshield, and it looked totally fixable, and the guy came back and said the windshield broke trying to fix it and I would need to replace it. They didn't let me watch when they were trying to fix it and I felt like they broke it on purpose.

My previous car got a stone hit. Safelite did an excellent job replacing the windshield. My gripe was they first tried to fix the windshield, and it looked totally fixable, and the guy came back and said the windshield broke trying to fix it and I would need to replace it. They didn't let me watch when they were trying to fix it and I felt like they broke it on purpose.
Exactly what happened to mine.

If I go with them, it will be done in my garage with me overseeing the repair. Haven't had a chance to go to the other 2 places near me.

Back