How bad of a job to remove/replace trans in 2008 Mazda5?

Dave88LX

2008 Mazda 5 Grand Touring
83K miles.
Wife took it in because the AT light came on. Dealer response: "Incorrect ratio in 3rd gear" error. Black fluid. Trans must be replaced.
$3,335.

I've done auto and manual swaps no RWD vehicles no problems. I've done head gaskets, cam/lifter/valvetrain swaps etc. Never screwed around with this FWD junk though.

How bad is it to R&R the trans out of these vehicles provided I find a suitable replacement?

Also, is the trans the same from the Sport, Touring, and Grand Touring? Also, what years will fit?

Last edited:
83K miles.
Wife took it in because the AT light came on. Dealer response: "Incorrect ratio in 3rd gear" error. Black fluid. Trans must be replaced.
$3,335.

I've done auto and manual swaps no RWD vehicles no problems. I've done head gaskets, cam/lifter/valvetrain swaps etc. Never screwed around with this FWD junk though.

How bad is it to R&R the trans out of these vehicles provided I find a suitable replacement?

Also, is the trans the same from the Sport, Touring, and Grand Touring? Also, what years will fit?

I can't speak to difficulty, but the 2008-2013 Mazda5s all use the same automatic transmission regardless of trim. The 2008-2013 Mazda3 and Mazda6 (with 2.3 or 2.5L I4) also use the same transmission if you're shopping around.

Wow, quite the selection to choose from.

I have someone who is a Jasper authorized shop, so checking into that avenue also.

www.car-parts.com will find all the local ones from auto recyclers. I don't know if an aftermarket reman is better or worse than a factory trans. Can't be any worse.

I've read some say this trans isn't designed for the extra weight of the Mazda5.

83K miles.
$3,335.

These are my thoughts... How does it drive other than the AT light on the dash? If there were an actual clutch slippage or gear failure issue for 3rd I would think it is obvious that there either is no 3rd gear or it drives really weird. If it drives normally then I would think this is just a shaft speed sensor or turbine speed sensor on the transmission that may have failed or being intermittent. Possibly dirty solenoids or valve body delaying full engagement to 3rd? Give it a flush and see what happens. You aren't going to damage something that is already damaged.

She said it won't shift out of first, but I haven't driven it. Basically it got dropped off at the dealer.

True, won't damage anything that's damaged, but I'll just be out $200. :lol:

I have a handful of people telling me "flush it and trade it in", but, that's not really in my nature.

Blows, we're still making payments.

I have a handful of people telling me "flush it and trade it in", but, that's not really in my nature.

Trade it in with dealership then, after the flush. Let them test drive and make up their own mind :)

They are supposed to get back to me with an appraisal price for it, but I'm fairly confident it'll be a losing situation for me. They always are with the dealer. NADA puts it at $8K without trans issues. We owe $5700. Trade it in, and we're at $2300. Basically starting all over again. I regret buying this car new; I sure as hell ain't buying another one new, and absolutely nothing from this dealer again.

"Do all your required maintenance here and we provide a lifetime powertrain warranty." "You didn't have your trans flushed at 64K and you did not purchase your tires from us. That warranty is void."

Thanks!

She said it won't shift out of first, but I haven't driven it. Basically it got dropped off at the dealer.

True, won't damage anything that's damaged, but I'll just be out $200. :lol:

If that is the case there are plenty of FS5A-EL transmissions all over the country with less than 30k on them for $500 or less. I'd ship one home and get a buddy over there with another $200 and case of beer then get at it. I would think a full Saturday with two guys that are decently mechanically inclined can get it done in a day. Once you pull the driver side wheel, fender well liner and airbox assembly there appears to be a pretty decent amount of room to work in there.

Good to know! I did see a bunch on car-parts.com. I wasn't sure how bad of a job it is to take these off. I've only done RWD transmissions.

Good to know! I did see a bunch on car-parts.com. I wasn't sure how bad of a job it is to take these off. I've only done RWD transmissions.

I prefer pulling the trans from a FWD vehicle over a RWD. But, I'm comparing Honda Civics (Legos) to a t56 (ton of bricks).

How much different is it from pulling from a RWD? RWD is pretty simple...drop the driveshaft, unhook linkage wiring, unbolt the bellhousing from the back of the block, and drop it. I've pulled the T-56 out of my Firebird a couple times, a lot heavier than the T-5 in my Mustang, didn't need a jack for that one. The E4OD in my old F-250, now that is a different story. :lol:

It's not much different at all, except you get to work from the top of the car too. :) Oh, and the top bellhousing to motor bolts are much easier to access.

I say it depends on the vehicle itself. FWD trannys tend to have a much direct and easier access area once you get past the jumble of components and wire harnesses from the engine bay. However, not all RWD trannys are easier per say. My brothers Honda S2000 was a b**** to work on mainly because of the placement of the drivetrain. In a nutshell, a ton of components had to be removed just to be able to drop the entire engine about 6" to access the bell housing bolts. Most FWD trannys are a simple removal of front wheels, axles, air cleaner, battery and disconnect harnesses.

It isn't so much that the trans wasn't designed for the extra weight. Much more that the extra weight makes the trans more sensitive to proper and diligent maintenance. For that reason I would shy away from junkyard transmissions from a 5. Unless they come with some sort of gaurantee (I know I know) With your background, mechanically speaking, I wouldn't hesitate for a second to do iy myself....

Well a coworker's son-in-law works for a dealer. I can get a Mazda reman for $1650 (12/12,000) and ~$700 labor to put it in.

I think that is my best course of action.

Back