How bad is the stock sound system?

levets

:
Mazda 3
On my test drives today I compared the Chevy Cruze and Mazda3 - but I didn't listen to the sound system in either!

CD in the Cruze.
HD in the Mazda3!

I'm coming from a 97 Civic with stock system. It was fine - adequate. Being a 97, I bet the stock systems have improved somewhat. I'm actually a musician and treasure great sounding audio, but I know at this price range I'm not going to get an iso-interior that blocks out road noise and has perfect acoustics!

Is the Mazda3 stock sound system OK? Or is it just atrocious. I know it's not going to be great, but if it's at least tolerable I think I'd be OK with it.

The Bose system in my 2015 Mazda 3s Touring is not bad at all. It's not as good as the HK system in my Mercedes but not bad.

The base sound system in my '14 was a major improvement from my '99 Ford. However, Ford was (is?) in love with the 5x7 speaker size, which has created holy wars about sound quality. I feel the Ford system, even after I upgraded the deck and the speakers, had almost no low end and poor/mediocre mids. The Mazda has decent range, but it does distort somewhat depending on what's playing. Some decent drop-in replacement speakers would probably improve it a little more. Unfortunately there are no drop-in deck replacements so you're looking at a project to add an amp. At that point, it doesn't really matter what the stock system is like and probably beyond the scope of what you're looking for ;)

Back