How are dealers handling brakes/airbag light/engine code?

majic said:
what's a TSB?

Technical Service Bulletin

Something not safety related that they know may be wrong with your car but won't fix it unless you b**** about it.

thanks.. so is this usually something officially posted by mazda (or any other car manuf.) or just discovered by many car users.. b/c usually recalls are done for safety fixes right.. so where can you get TSBs (besides the one for the squeaky brakes as posted by bluntman)

TSB's aren't for the public, they're for the dealer Tech's to see if there's a tsb on your complaint, so they know about it and have a better chance to solve the problem. But, if you have the tsb number you should be able to tell the service writer the tsb number. It's still usually up to the tech if he wants to take care of it.
That's why it's a good idea to have a friendly relationship with your dealer service writer.

I had a tsb number for a complaint on my PT Cruser, gave it to my service writer, who I do have a friendly relationship (it's always better to treat them as you want to be treated than b**** about the problem). He looked up the tsb and passed it on to the tech, who flashed the computer to the latest upgrade, which is what I wanted.

However, they are available in a couple different locations on the internet. I'd post the links but I'm too lazy to go find them right now. I know one is www.alldata.com. You can get the TSB and recall titles for free but not the specific details.

Rekindling this thread as I was wondeting whether anyone got the brake dust issue corrected. My folks just bought a Mazda 3 on July 5th and its got major dustage and some signs of grooving on the rotors after only two weeks. Earlier posts in this thread implied newer models had the problem fixed, but not this one. I am in Canada, so maybe we get the rejected US Parts :(

I don't think brake dust is a problem and neither does Mazda. Now grooved disc's are a problem. I had some very slight grooving the first couple of months, but they're smooth now and have been since around 1,000 miles. As far as brake dust goes, you should see the dust on the front wheels on my PT Cruiser. The chrome wheels are black after a couple of weeks.

The build date on my car is 3/04 and my VIN is 162076 (last 6)... however, I have the same problems that everyone is talking about:

Brake dust excessive on rear wheels
Squeaky brakes
Driver's side window will not go all the way down automatically

I don't follow this stuff very well, but I'm taking my car in next week to the dealer b/c I called about my brakes and my service guy said it's probably the pads/rotors and they may need replaced. Which is all well & good, but I'm just nervous because I checked the TSB's on one site and the ones that are my problems are specified for VINs that don't match mine.... is that going to matter? I'm not sure how important they are or what the deal is with the TSBs in general anyway, but they sound important....

Back