Horn trouble.. $950!!!???

neanderpaul

:
02 protege 5
I have a 2002 P5 with 68k. Mmmmmm 68k original miles. The horn quit working. While it was in for an insurance claim the mazda dealer gave me a quote of $950 to fix the horn. They said I needed the whole steering column replaced to fix it. So I said thanks anyway and waited until a whole parts car could be had. Justin2129 bought one and I have been parting it out. I have the whole steering wheel, and steering column assembly. I just pulled the button assembly out and swapped it. That didn't fix it. I'm hoping to not have to swap out the column and was wondering if anyone else has had the same problem. I also didn't see a fuse labeled horn in the interior fuse box. Does anyone know what circuit it's wired on?
thanks in advance.

I would check the fuse (I don't know which it is off hand) and consider replacing the horn assembly itself. Those are both easy and cheap. Then I would work my way up from there. I'm not sure why a malfunctioning horn would require a total column replacement...that sounds a little bit like the dealership is looking for some business.

I have a similar problem on my 1985 Toyota Landcruiser. The horn does not work when the temperature is below 75 degrees. When the temps are in between working and not, the horn will work with the wheel turned left but not right. I initially went through all the normal troubleshooting steps, check fuses, relay and put power directly to the horn before I learned that the problem was temperature related. The problem is in the contact ring on the steering column or contacts in the steering wheel. So once you have verified everything else is good about the only thing left is the contact between the steering wheel and column.

Last edited:
So I put voltage to the horn with a jumper from the battery. It works. Then I put a multimeter to the wires and hit the alarm. No voltage. So it was good to the relay and not to the horn. I figured it was between there. Then I plugged the horn back in and it works. So it was just corrosion at the blade plug. So what that means is Berglund Mazda is trying to literally steal $950 from me. I'm ready to fight. (notcool)(pissed)

And this is why they are called "stealerships". They may have not even looked that far into the problem, just assumed that the problem lied with the wheel hub itself. It is always good to get at least 1 more opinion that is not from a dealer.

I'm really close to going down to the dealer, asking for the service manager, giving him the whole scenario, asking him to tell me something that would make me not angry anymore, then watch him squirm.

You should contact on of the local news stations or papers with your story. There was a story about these issues (dealerships robbing customers) on one of the major networks the other day. If they decide to run it, it should get some attention.

Back